• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 crashing?

Hi Guys
Yesterday after leaving my computer in idle to do its tasks and a full system scan(which came up clean only tracking cookies)after they were completed I went into Norton Tasks on the flip over menu and clicked help because a guru in another thread said that this help button will open up your browser take you to a Norton webpage and show you what the Norton tasks do so I just wanted to refresh my mind on the tasks but then Norton 360 crashed and made my disk spike to 100%?

Today I went to look into my history logs for the last time that I was ever going to check it (been told so many times to stop looking at these) and when I opened it, it took longer to load so I clicked close and it did nothing then I got a notification saying Norton has crashed blah blah blah so I shut down my computer turned it back on and everything is now fine. Do I have anything to worry about here? I remember when one of my friends had Norton sometimes it would crash for him too.

Do I have anything to be concerned about here or can I right this off to just randomness?

Thanks a lot ! :)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 crashing?

Also just to add I got a notification of high disk usage by tiworker.exe when I went to my task manager I don't think it was even clipping it either that or I wasn't fast enough to look at it lt. But what gets me with tiworker.exe is that in Norton insight it says that it can give me information on it and says that it's unknown but when Norton gave me that notification for the disk usage and I clicked it, it gave me things like how many people have it e.t.c. See this thread for a little more information http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/tiworker-exe-Norton-insight-can-t-give-information-on-this-file/m-p/1094097

Thanks a lot
Kudos0

Hi AudiA1,

Hmm, Norton crashing is not at all normal.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but what AV did you have before N360 and how was it removed?  Uninstalling from Windows Control Panel isn't always enough and most AVs have an uninstaller that should be run after you've uninstalled.

Please let us know if you have any other security programs installed.

Please also let us know what version of N360 you have and what is your Operating System.

Thanks.

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

Hi Krusty13
Norton is the only AV software I've had on my computer it's been installed since January and hasn't crashed before. I'm running Norton 360 and I'm not sure the version of it but it's the one just before the new one that's been realised. I'm running Windows 8. In addition when I was using my computer my connection randomly dropped only on my computer and then when I logged in on my desktop there was something called HomeGroup on there which I understand to my knowledge is the windows 8 login thing? And then it randomly disappeared. In addition I did a scan yesterday and only got cookies.

Thanks a lot :)
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

I'm not familiar with W8, but is it W8 or W8.1?  This can help others that might read your posts.

You can find the version by clicking Support > About.

Have you thought about upgrading to the current version - v21.1.1.7?  It is a fairly easy process and your settings (except your scheduled tune up tasks) will be saved and configured in the new version.

All you need to do is first, export a copy of your ID safe data if you use that feature.

Visit the Norton Update Center and then select the "Choose My Product Manually" option > Make sure you select that you have v20 (important to get the update) > Click Continue or Download and the rest will happen automatically.  Run Live Update until no more updates are available.

FYI, I don't think you have an infection.

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

Hello Krusty13
I am using W8 NOT W8.1 sorry I should of made it clearer!
And the version I am using of Norton 360 is 21.1.0.18
And I do not use the identity safe so that would be no worry if I do need to update. But I've heard people having some problems like blue screens and other things while downloading the new version so that's why I was going to wait till it was pushed through live update. And do you think that the tiworker.exe is all safe if my scan was clean?

Thanks a lot for the help :)
Kudos0

A quick Google search shows it is "Windows Modules Installer Worker. It is related to Windows Updates."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-high-disk-usage-caused-by-tiworkerexe/69b54d4d-ecb0-456a-a2c2-8b3deb211af6

Again, if it was a threat detection you would see something like this;

You would not miss it!

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

Hi Krusty13
Thanks a lot for clearing that up! Now what do you think about Norton crashing yesterday and today?

Thanks a lot I appreciate it :)
Kudos0

That's why I was suggesting an upgrade just in case your copy of N360 has become corrupted.  Normally I would suggest running the Norton Remove & Reinstall Tool, which would uninstall your current version and reinstall a fresh new copy, but the above steps should basically do a similar thing.

If you aren't keen to do the upgrade you could monitor the situation and see if it happens again.

Aren't you able to upgrade to W8.1 free?  If you decide to do that, hang on for advice to ensure you are properly prepared before you begin.

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

Hi Krusty13
Thank you for all of the information you've been a huge help. What I think I'm going to do is monitor what happens with Norton and if it does It again I will take your advice and upgrade to the next version because other then this problem Norton has been running quite nicely! I may have a slight idea of why it may of crashed because when I turn on my computer my disk normally spikes because of it loading up things (this has happened since I've had the computer) so I'm thinking it may of been too much for it to handle and it could of crashed?

Also in addition to windows 8.1 I do get the message sometimes saying if I'd like to upgrade but I'm quite happy with Windows 8 at the moment, unless it becomes a update I must install then I will choose to get it.

Thanks a lot for setting my mind at rest again!

Take care :)
Kudos0

Hi Krusty13
Sorry to bother you but I was just thinking because you said Norton could be corrupted does this mean that components of Norton might not be working even if the tick is green?

Thanks a lot :)
Kudos0

I only mentioned a possible corruption because of the crashing, but since you have said you have an idea why...

Do try not to worry. 

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

Hi Krusty13
Sorry for the late reply!
And yes I think it may of been because of that but I'm not sure none the less I will not be worrying about this and if it happens again I will take your advice!

Thanks a lot! :)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.