• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 detecting a Malwarebytes file as an Infostealer virus.

Yesterday, I ran a Malwarebytes threat scan on my computer, which detected no items. As soon as the threat scan was finished, Norton 360 auto detected and quarantined the following file as an infostealer: c:\program files (86x)\malwarebytes anti-malware\00025562.tmp. I just ran a Malwarebytes scan last week and Norton didn't detect anything then. Is this a legit virus or is Norton 360 not playing well with the latest Malwarebytes?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 detecting a Malwarebytes file as an Infostealer virus.

Hi zzalaire,
Welcome to Norton Community forums!
The file under question is a temporary file created by Malwarebytes . May be it included some virus / threat signatures or was identical to Norton's infostealer detection. You can check for a third opinion at www.virustotal.com by uploading the file. If the detection rate is below 6, it will be mostly a false positive.
If this action/incident repeats, we can do steps for excluding Malwarebytes from bothering Norton as well as report the file to Norton/Symantec.
Keep us in touch....
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Hi Nikhil, how do I upload a file in quarantine?
Kudos0

Right click on N360 icon on tray notification area > Recent history > choose from the drop down list beside 'SHOW' , 'Resolved security risks'
Read the kb articles for detailed steps.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v6200368_N360... and https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v6200305_N360...
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.