• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 - doc.js Trojan task_0000546430.doc.js Allowed to execute and spread

I am a longtime steady user of Norton, specifically Norton 360 which is up to date and running on my PC that has many hard drives.

I stupidly ran a doc.js (task_0000546430.zip, task_0000546430.doc.js) file I got in an email thinking it was legitimate and not really paying attention to what I was doing. It wasn't.

Right after double clicking the file name, Norton reported that there was a large increase of network traffic so I began investigating.  Running full Norton 360 scans yielded no infections.  Then I an Malware Bytes with the same result. 

I uploaded the trojan (Submission Date2016-01-16T16:28:47.433 Tracking #39534443)

and contacted Norton support via chat.  They told me it will be up to a week before any analysis is done on the uploaded file.  They did offer to log in an fix anything but not sure what they can do if 360 does not find any infection.

I then tried a recommended product by ESET and it found and removed JS/TrojanDownloader.Nemucod.DC trojan , which after research, is the trojan in the file I ran.  My research also indicated that this trojan creates

• %TEMP%\77652459.exe
  • %TEMP%\542824559.exe
  • %TEMP%\589878543.exe

which I can not find on my PC. 

I am anxiously awaiting thorough support that can guaranty that the trojan and any virus, malware, spyware, etc. has been neutralized and removed and that my PC is once again secure enough for me to use username and passwords to access various sites.

Any help, suggestions and insights are appreciated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 - doc.js Trojan task_0000546430.doc.js Allowed to execute and spread

If you want to ensure your system is clean I would suggest you sign up at one of the free Malware Removal sites below. Do not try to do anything on your own as it could make things harder for the Malware Removal expert at that site to help you. Choose one and stay there until your system is clean.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/
http://forums.whatthetech.com/
http://qmalwareremoval.freeforums.net/

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 - doc.js Trojan task_0000546430.doc.js Allowed to execute and spread

Norton:  Still waiting on you for support........

Kudos0

Are you waiting for a reply to your submission, or are you expecting Norton to contact you to fix the infection? Your submission was on the 16th of Januarly, just 3 days ago. Chat told you it would probably be a week before the file was analyzed. They will not be contacting you to help with additional removal, if that is what you are waiting for.

Did you look into my suggestions above to determine if your system is in fact clean now?

Kudos0

I am hoping that Norton moves faster.  I was told it takes up to a week for them to analyze viruses, Trojans that are sent to them.  What is most concerning is that the Trojan(s) I got is not brand new and other less known anti-virus programs detect and clean it. 

I reviewed the various sites you recommended.  Thank you for your help.  My research indicates that the most mentioned cure, Spy Hunter, is a scam and not a legitimate cure.  Does anyone have first hand experience with Spy Hunter who can recommend it?

Thanks...

Patiently Waiting.........

Kudos0

Kudos0

I chat weekly with support to get status.  3 weeks and no status, no cure, no nothing. 

I think it is past time to find a new computer protection software company.

Kudos0

"I appreciate your opinion and understand why you feel that way. However, the result of the scan of other third party software may not also be reliable as it can only be a marketting strategy for you to purchase their service/product. You can rest assured that the file you sent is being evaluated to be added on the Virus Definition of the Norton program once it is confirmed to be suspicious."  Norton's advice about using another antivirus program to disinfect my PC of the Trojan Norton 360 allowed in.

3 Weeks 2 days later, with many escalations, Norton still does not have any status on the Trojan I submitted to them.

Kudos0

Another week without hearing from Norton........

What would I do if other anti virus software didn't disinfect my PC? 

Kudos0

Hello neil64

Do you use www.norton.com/chat to contact Norton Tech Support? Where did you send the file to? I don't see the free chat link you used or the email address of where you sent the file. I will ask the Symantec Employee about this issue, but he is going to want that information from you.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I uploaded the Trojan to Norton the same day of infection 1-16-16.  The tracking # is:  39534443.  I spoke with support that day who acknowledge receipt of it.

Case #:  xxxxxxxx

I have chatted via Norton support at www.norton.com/chat at least once per week and called 1-800-745-6061and spoken with a rep or escalated to a manager at least once a week since 1-16-16.  The engineer who is supposed to be working on the Trojan I uploaded is Stanley.  Stanley hasn’t done anything with the Trojan according to everyone I chat or speak with.  All they promise is that they will escalate or endorse the case and someone will call me within 48 hours of the call or chat.  I’ve been waiting since 1/16/16 and have not received one call or email.  It seems Norton has no interest in disinfecting me or protecting their customers from this Trojan.  I wonder how many other Trojan, Viruses and Malware Norton fails to address in a timely fashion?

[Edit: Masked the Case ID to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

Hello Neil

I just informed someone who may get in contact with you within the next few days. It might have to wait until next week until he might respond to you.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks.  Waiting for someone from Norton to contact me or take action on my Trojan infection seems to be a forever endeavor......

Kudos0

4 Weeks today and not one call or email from Norton Support, management, etc.  I have called chatted and escalated this issue at least once a week since infection.  I guess we all find out sooner or later if our hard earned money is well spent.

Kudos0

On 2/16/16, exactly one month from the time I got infected and uploaded the Trojan to Norton,  I received a phone call from Rowelle at Norton who worked with me on my issues.  On 2/17, he followed up and informed me that new virus definitions are going to include a cure for the Trojan I was infected by.  I am still waiting for documentation from the group that creates the definitions so that I have the complete name of the Trojan, what sites the downloader connected to, what files were downloaded, etc. and all of the other details.

Thanks to Rowelle and all of the others on this forum that helped.

Bottom line, Norton let me down for 1 month.  There is no earthly reason it took 1 month for this to be addressed.  The Norton ticket will remain open until I get all of the documentation on this Trojan. 

To my fellow Norton users, if you get infected, do not wait for Norton to support you.  Do not buy into their guaranty of 1 week to resolve.  Your best bet is to research what you can at VirusTotal and run free Antivirus software from Eset, Microsoft, AVG, etc. immediately.

Kudos0

Thanks for updating us.

Did Rowelle say they were going to send you the documentation you say you are waiting for? This sounds a little unusual, unless you are in the security field.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.