• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NORTON 360 DOES NOT WORK

I only registered to warn everyone that Norton 360 does NOT find viruses, spyware, or any other malicious code. I used it for almost 6 months and it never detected anything. Suddenly, it detects a trojan horse, which causes my entire system to crash. I have to uninstall norton to fix it, and then my recovery partition became corrupt, so I couldn't restore my computer. I had to purchase recovery disks and then wait. While waiting, I installed Avira Antivir, and it detected 10 other viruses, and 4 spyware. I'm sorry, but Symantec will no longer have my business, and it's a shame as I still have almost half a year on my subscription. Use Antivir - it's free and better.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NORTON 360 DOES NOT WORK

I only registered to warn everyone that Norton 360 does NOT find viruses, spyware, or any other malicious code. I used it for almost 6 months and it never detected anything. Suddenly, it detects a trojan horse, which causes my entire system to crash. I have to uninstall norton to fix it, and then my recovery partition became corrupt, so I couldn't restore my computer. I had to purchase recovery disks and then wait. While waiting, I installed Avira Antivir, and it detected 10 other viruses, and 4 spyware. I'm sorry, but Symantec will no longer have my business, and it's a shame as I still have almost half a year on my subscription. Use Antivir - it's free and better.
Kudos0

I only make this comment. It is a fact of life that any av product (and here I mean products either dedicated to finding spam, anti virus, spyware) will likely report detection that another will not. So if in say one month of reasonable internet, msn, hotmail activity I got you to install any other av product (not necessarily Symantec) the chances are it will detect something that Antivir did not.

Logically, companies that provide free av will not have the resources in the long term, to maintain their product as efficiently as commercial ventures.

What I find encouraging in your post, is that 1. Norton 360 did not report to you any issues and you had no problems for almost 6 months. and secondly, that it did detect a trojan horse. What we do not know is exactly what you did at that point and whether you sought support from Symantec or not.

Kudos0

Suddenly, it detects a trojan horse, which causes my entire system to crash. I have to uninstall norton to fix it, and then my recovery partition became corrupt, so I couldn't restore my computer. I had to purchase recovery disks and then wait. While waiting, I installed Avira Antivir, and it detected 10 other viruses, and 4 spyware.

1. It detected the virus, system crashed and so you uninstalled Norton program. 

Are you sure that virus has been completely removed/fixed by Norton? Did you try to run the scan in Safe mode when your system crashed?

2. After you uninstalled the Norton program, the recovery partition became corrupt and so you cannot restore the computer.

What if the virus has corrupted your Recovery partition since there is no more Antivirus protection (Norton 360) in your computer?Did you try to restore before uninstalling Norton 360?

3. You installed Avira Antivir and it detected some viruses.

If the previous virus which Norton detected has not been removed completely, it may replicate itself or download other similar threats in your computer. You can expect some threats here since you already uninstalled Norton 360 and didn't had any AntiVirus protection until you installed Avira program.

The heuristic techniques and definitions for the detection/repair of virus may different for different Security Products. For example, if Norton detects a macro virus, then it opens the macro file and removes as much of the viral code as possible. However, to keep the macro intact, it may leave harmless pieces of viral code or the macro name behind. Other antivirus programs will detect this and report an infection even though the file cannot infect other files. (I am not sure if this is your case..

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.