• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 Error: "8506,421" appears on my Norton product

Hi,

I have used Norton 360 previously for one year and there have been no issue and therefore i decide to renew when it expires. However after a few months of use, the error message occured. I uninstalled and re-installed for quite a number of times including the use of norton power eraser but the error message still occurs. Now my laptop is unprotected, please advise as i have bought the 2 years subscription for this

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton 360 Error: "8506,421" appears on my Norton product

Hi owlingz, and welcome!

Quoting from this KB Article about error 8506,421:

"There is a known issue with Norton security software and the Instant Reset utility distributed on some Lenovo laptops. Symantec is working on reproducing this issue. Unfortunately, in the meantime, Symantec recommends not to install Norton products on Lenovo laptops with Instant Reset functionality"

If the above reflects your situation, you could try following what suggested in said KB and see if it fixes your issue.

Before starting, please pay attention to the note at the beginning of STEP1.

Let us know how things go.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

I've gotten that same message twice in the past two weeks. I have been using this computer for more than six months. After the Norton Autofix, I went to the page and saw the message below. But I did not follow the steps since I am using a DELL computer and have not changed anything in the past six months.

Can anyone please offer some help or ideas. Thanks.

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." - Harvey Fierstein
Kudos0

Hi MzR0se. and welcome!

First of all I must apologize, also to the OP @owlingz , because only now, coming back to the thread to reply to your post,  I notice a mistake I made in my previous post/reply to owlingz, i.e. where I said "If the above reflects your situation..." I should instead have said "If the above doesn't reflect your situation..." (Unfortunately, owlingz had not specified which computer they were using).

So, MzR0se, since your computer is not a Lenovo laptop, which the warning at the beginning ot the linked to KB Article applies to, I'd suggest that you follow those instructions, beginning with the suggested restart.  If it doesn't fix the error, you should go on with STEP1, paying attention to the note at the beginning.

At the end of the reinstall, run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as requested, until no updates are available. 

Let us know how things go.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

I'm having the same problem, and it's driving me crazy.  It just popped out of nowhere for no reason I can think of.  I hadn't made any changes to my pc in months.  I'm running a desktop pc, not some Lenovo laptop.  I tried uninstalling from the control panel, then restarted, then ran the norton removal tool, then restarted, then ran the norton removal too and restarted again.  I've even gone into the registry and deleted every mention of norton possible.  I finally reinstalled norton, and the error comes up again.  I'm about ready to find someone named Norton and shove my computer down his throat.  I'm sick and tired of random errors popping up out of nowhere completely crippling this piece of crap software.

Kudos0

I am cautiously optimistic that I've solved the problem.  When reinstalling Norton 360, I used a download that I got from the mynortonaccount.com website after logging in.  This latest time I used a download that I got from https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v67735330_EndUserProfile_en_us.  After installing, it brought up a message stating that my trial had started, but if I had a product key, I could insert it.  Using the download from logging into my account, I never received this message.  I was never even able to access the program before it brought up the error message.  This time, I was able to access the program and do the live update.  It also installed a patch.  Thus far, the error message hasn't popped up, but if that changes I will comment further.

Kudos0

22 days later, and here we go again.  Everything was fine on my computer, I go to bed, and I wake up with Norton jacked again and this time jacking other things along with it.   I have Windows 7 for crying out loud.  If you can't make a security suite that works well with that, shutter your business and go away.  I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I'd be better off with nothing than with this.  I'm definitely planning on not renewing my subscription and finding something else once my time runs out.  I feel like trusting Norton to protect my computer is like trusting a fox to guard your henhouse who's smart enough to not kill all your chickens at once but takes one at random intervals, long enough between that you sort of forget that you got a predator to watch your chickens.  Using Norton 360 is like using a virus to keep out other viruses - it does the job, and you sort of forget about it, but every once in a while it reminds you it's a virus and screws you.  

Hopefully my previous fix works again.  

Kudos0

Hi,megamawax. Have you tried the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, rather than the Norton Removal Tool ?

They are two different tools. The NRRT will replace your current install, with a clean copy. http://www.norton.com/nrnr

If you use it, please read the Before you begin note at the top of the page, and run Live Update after until no more are found.

If this doesn't fix the problem, you still have the option of contacting Norton Support, who may be able to help.

http://www.norton.com/chat

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hi megamawax,

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Error-8506-422/m-p/606260/highlight/true#M185823

Please see Subash_Prabu's suggestion in the above link and also see the following post by shamrock for a shorter version that also works sometimes:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Error-8506-422/m-p/809324/highlight/true#M217691

Kudos0

Please see Subash_Prabu's suggestion in the above link and also see the following post by shamrock for a shorter version that also works sometimes:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Error-8506-422/m-p/809324/highlight/t..."

Hi,

A part of this article where it's mentionned to delete %Temp% files is outdated.

Newer versions of some programs and also Nvidia drivers 337.88 and above create upon installation, a folder in Temp,(C:\Windows\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache), in order to store some optimization profiles for recently played games and if you delete that folder user will be found, if Nvidia latest drivers are used, with corrupted GPU drivers upon next restart.

Regards,

Kudos0

F4E - thanks for your response.  I have not tried the NRRT.  My previously mentioned method for fixing the problem worked again, but if this problem crops up in the future, I'll give that a try first.  I'd still be removing and reinstalling Norton, which I feel is something you shouldn't have to be doing frequently with any software, but at least that would save me a step.

Kudos0

Yank - Thanks for responding.  Fortunately, what I had previously done to solve this problem worked again.  I believe when I dealt with this problem the first time around, I had seen Subash_Prabhu's suggestion and attempted it without success.  If I have this problem again in the future, I'll give that strategy another look, though, in case I had somehow made a mistake.

Kudos0

Apostolos - Thanks for that information.  I use Nvidia drivers, so I'm glad I hadn't attempted Shamrock's fix.  It's too bad because if his fix actually worked, that'd probably be the simplest way to do it.  Fortunately, my method worked for me again, but who knows about next time.

Kudos0

You can always search your system drive for the Temp directories manually instead of using the info from the links above. Then you could manually delete everything Except the graphics driver info.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.