• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos4 Stats

Norton 360 Identity Safe - SHAMEFUL PRODUCT TERRIBLE SUPPORT

As a 15+ year user of your products, I am sorry to say this is one of the most shameful software solutions I have ever encountered.  Identify safe is so fraught with issues that it is becoming more and more unusable each passing week.

I am a technology professional, so your not dealing with some inexperienced user.  The product is horribly unstable to the point that I have users ONCE AGAIN writing down their passwords because they CANNOT RELY ON YOUR PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you call your support, you talk to people who should not even own computers.  Their solution is always "YOU NEED TO DOWNGRADE YOUR BROWSER or use IE"

REALLY?  That is the Norton solution?  You make a product and market it as a password manager to work with CHROME and then dont expect people to update their CHROME so that they have the latest patches WOW!!!!!

Well I have news for you.....it doesn't work much better in IE either.

Futhermore, one minute you have the toolbar, the next you dont.  Rebooting sometimes work sometimes does not.  Now when I print out some documents I'm getting a SAFE SEARCH MESSAGE on the print out.  The only way to get rid of it is to TURN OFF THE NORTON TOOLBAR.  Of course once you do that the NORTON IDENTITY SAFE DISSAPEARS!!!

I  dont know who the hell is in charge of your product development but they must be ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL.

I challenge NORTON to send some of your support and development team OUT INTO THE REAL WORLD in a office environment with REAL CUSTOMERS for a week and see how this crap REALLY WORKS!!!!

Norton should be ASHAMED.

Next year WILL NOT BE RENEWING THIS UNLESS IT IS FIXED.  IS IT JUST ME???? NO NO NO.. I know lots of others who are sick of it, and your SUPPORT PEOPLE also say the problems are WIDE SPREAD!!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Identity Safe - SHAMEFUL PRODUCT TERRIBLE SUPPORT

I agree with you.  When it comes to making Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe work with Firefox, IE, and Chrome browsers it seems like Symantec has major problems every couple of months.  I certainly don't think customers are getting what they paid for. 

Symantec needs to hire more software developers to PREVENT these problems.  If something unexpected comes up they need to get lots of their software developers working 24/7 until they can fix it.  If Symantec wants to keep their loyal customers they better do this!

Kudos0

somedud7399,

The problems seem to arise every 6 weeks - to coincide with FF rapid update cycle - perhaps if FF would do all the updates they have availabale at one time instead of holding them off so they have enough to put outevery 6  weeks, Norton might be able to keep up!

Kudos0

I fully understand how difficult it must be to keep up with FF, IE, Chrome etc updates.....but I think that says more as to the flaw in logic design of the Identity Vault.

This app clearly is not designed properly to accommodate the rapid and frequent changes.  As a former developer I can tell you that there is always more than one way to skin a cat and they are most definitely NOT doing it the logical way. 

What Norton should do....is AT LEAST create a feature that would allow a user to EASILY click a button that would RESET the entire TOOLBAR and VAULT on the browser where it is PERMANENTLY integrated BUTTON.  90% of the problems can be resolved by rebooting the PC and initializing the browser.

If there was at LEAST a way to access a PERMANENT button, somewhere on the desktop or taskbar....that would solve 90% of the frustration.

Common NORTON this is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE....this is a DESIGN FLAW.

Kudos0

Another thing.....boy would I just LOVE to meet the "GENIUS" who designed this pile of dung!

Please Mr. Design Engineer.....now that I have to go nearly daily into the login list to manually activate a login....PLEASE PLEASE can you tell me

why you can only scroll ONE PAGE at a time and then there is a PAUSE and then you can scroll again????????????

Is this supposed to be something "PRETTY" like were all freaking children and need to be amused with such a "PRETTY" feature????

Who is the MORON who designed this????

Do you even have the SLIGHTEST CLUE as to the meaning of FUNCTIONAL????

I am POSITIVE that I am only one of MILLIONS that feel this way.

I CHALLENGE NORTON to submit a SURVEY to the user community.

Whoever is the head of your design team is a clown.....and they are destroying the reputation of NORTON.

I have ordered new software, and if it works better than this pile of dung you can kiss my 50+ copies GOODBYE 

Kudos0

I just signed in to say this...

I think you have to stop using Norton Identity safe if you don't use it.

Norton provided it with no cost, which is available to anyone with or without subscription, I think you don't have the right to demand support for a free software? If you don't like it then don't use it anymore, Probably... Get a Life....

Kudos1 Stats

Obviously you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

I own over 50 user licenses of Norton 360.  Identity Safe is PART of Norton 360, therefore I have an expectation that the product will work as advertised.

The only reason I LOGGED ON HERE, is that I am frustrated, because NORTON support has no solution for the issues, knows perfectly well that it is a widespread problem, and that it continues to get worse.  No one seems to give a d*** about the user base.

I have emailed support several times but it never gets escalated beyond first tier.

This is a wide spread problem and the internet is FLOODED with complaints.

I have more right to complain then someone like you anytime.  I have purchased 10s of THOUSANDS of dollars worth of Norton products over the years, I have always been a supporter of Norton in the past, but I will not stay silent on this issue. 

Obviously you are somehow connected with their products.

Kudos0

I understand you, I hate Identity Safe as well but it is not what I paid Norton For, I paid them for Virus Protection. Not Identity Safe which again is available for free only.

Kudos2 Stats

Saruy wrote:  I understand you, I hate Identity Safe as well but it is not what I paid Norton For, I paid them for Virus Protection. Not Identity Safe which again is available for free only.

You may not have paid for Identity Safe.  But, I did!
IMO ~ you don't understand the OP.

rick9999 wrote:  I have purchased 10s of THOUSANDS of dollars worth of Norton products over the years..

IMO ~ rick9999 has every right to vent and express his issues.  More than most I'd say.  Much more than most...

Saruy wrote: If you don't like it then don't use it anymore, Probably... Get a Life....

Sorry Saruy ~  your reply was out of line  imho

Kudos0

rick9999-
Thank you for taking time to post feedback. I hope we can make things better overall by hearing and responding to valuable feedback like yours.

My takeaway of your inputs so far are concerns with:
1) scrolling behavior in our UI's is not smooth
2) some concern with login property manipulation

I am not clearly understanding item 2. Can you provide more of a step by step explanation please?

Regards,
Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

Kudos1 Stats

Matt,

Thank you for your response.  I have been trying to break through to a higher level of support for months.  I hope that you might address this more thoroughly, because when the product works it is very useful, but lately it is just terrible.

In the next 24 hours I will compile as detailed a list as I can, with print screens etc.

There are at least 5 common problems that represent the bulk of the frustration, and all are issues that frequently 
cause serious problems.

I will upload it or if you want to message me privately with an email I will send it directly to you.

Thanks

Rick

Kudos0

Thanks Rick.

I'd prefer you send me a PM in the forums here but if doing so can't carry your document contents or you feel there are any areas that could benefit from other forum user inputs, post to this thread please.

Regards,
Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

Kudos0

Wrong. At least partially. Yes, it's offered free. I'm not sure it was from the beginning, but I've been using Norton for at least 15-years, and one of the reasons I pay the price for Norton 360 is because it also comes with Identity Safe.  I could have gone with McAfee, TrendMicro or other reputable security programs out there. Identity Safe with it's convenient toolbar was the deciding factor in where to spend my money.

They have no excuse for the shoddy performance, and it's been going on for YEARS with Identity Safe. 

Kudos0

I've decided to conduct a search for commercial browser password software and spend money on a third-party solution if I can find one I like as much as Identity Safe.  If I do find one, I won't feel the need to come back to Norton 360.  There are others out there equal to the task at hand.

Kudos0

Matt,

I'm attaching some screen prints to try to show you some of the issues, but overall it is simply a very unstable product that stops working randomly 
on a continual basis.

I really want you guys to have a successful product.  The idea is great but there are far too many issues.  These problems appear among all my varying clients, myself and even my family members spread far and wide with different platforms.  I don't believe for a second that Norton is not aware of these issues.  If your testing takes place in real world computer platforms, you must be seeing the same things.

I know that this cannot continue, and we will drop the Norton platform next year if you cannot fix this product.

I know my analysis was not done in true IT Professional standard, but I simply have limited time to work on this, but I am sure it provides ample information.

If you need any other information I will try to respond as best I can, but you have to realize that I too have my own work which is priority.

Here are my observations and suggestions:

It’s not so much telling you what does NOT work, because it is a simple matter of saying it just STOPS WORKING period during the course of the day.  Some days worse than others.  There are however many “tricks” I use to try to restart it.

-Though the vault is open, it will stop filling in the user name or password.  Clicking on the three “dots” to change settings sometimes will work to restart the fill in process, and sometimes not, where the settings change will not even pop up

-Sometimes shutting down Chrome and restarting it, will bring the Vault bar back

-Most often you have to reboot the entire computer,

-Today even a reboot does not bring back the Norton Security Bar.  Checking Chrome extensions both Norton Identity Safe 1.05 and Norton Security Toolbar 2014.7.9.8 are Enabled.  However doing a refresh several times suddenly the Norton toolbar pops up.

-Something I have never seen today is that there are TWO Norton 360s running as see in the Taskbar. (see picture).

Issues:

1)When logging into a site, or when inside if I were to click on different links on the website the Norton Toolbar DOES NOT STAY in place. It turns DISSAPEARS AND REAPPEARS and in doing so the screens “jumps” around up and down. This is a real pain because if you are in the process of “clicking” on another link the screen “jumping” will make you inadvertently click on an entirely different link.  WHY cant Norton make the Toolbar sit PERMANENTLY in place?  No other Toolbar I have ever used does this.

2)Same is when you go to a website where you might have several logins.  Now ANOTHER toolbar pops up BELOW the Norton Security Tool Bar which offers you the pull down for different Logins. This toolbar is ALSO very unstable and will often DISSAPEAR, forcing you to look MANUALLY through the logins by going to the main NORTON 360 Icon and LOG IN OUT of the Vault then BACK IN to the Vault then looking or searching to find the appropriate login.

A)Why so many Toolbars??? Why not ONE small Toolbar that is static and stable with these options on it?

B)When clicking on the multiple Login pull down, it then displays the Login choice on the LEFT hand side of the screen, forcing you to now go to the completely opposite side of the screen on the far LEFT and make your choice.  This makes no sense.  This started about 3 weeks ago.

3)When these Toolbars fail altogether and disappear, you have no choice but to go into the main Norton 360 and access your Logins manually. Many times the list is not available without LOGGING OUT then BACK IN and then the list pops up.  WHY IS THERE NOT a simple link to bring up this list?????

4)Why do we need a MASSIVE VAULT to POP UP and SIMULATE A VAULT OPENING?????  I have to believe that ALL this graphics activity leads to the instability of the product and is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY and rather CHILDISH.  I just want the VAULT TO OPEN!!!!

5) Aside from this frustration the general usage of the VAULT is VERY frustrating.  Every feature is slow.  Sometime just to click on the Search box takes a few seconds.  If you scroll through the logins it is VERY SLOW with pauses that last 2 or 3 seconds at a time before you can continue to slow.  BOTTOM LINE….get rid of all the pretty GRAPHIC CRAP and just make it simple and fast to find your logins. 

6)The Security message on top of printouts has thankfully disappeared the past few days.  This is no longer an issue

Summary:

-In general the product is just plain unstable and unpredictable

-The excessive use of Graphics leads to its instability and poor performance

-Multiple Toolbars add to the destabilizing of the product and take up too much room on the screen

-Toolbars jump around.  Instead we need one small simple stable toolbar

-Password list should be easy and fast to use. DROP all the kindergarten child like graphics

-Until you have a more stable product add a feature to REINITIALIZE the tool bar
in Chrome

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

I am so pleased that I am not alone in this.

It is by far the worst product ever released from Norton and is totally unreliable. If I wasn't currently dependent on it then I would ditch Norton after many, many years of supporting them. I have about 80 days left on my NIS licence and during that time I am going research alternative products, with a password manager as a necessity, and if Norton have not made their product stable by then it will goodbye Norton and as we all know once we leave a product then we never come back!  

Kudos0

I must also agree with this thread. I have been paying for/using Norton products since Peter was at the helm, starting in 1993 (that's when I, not he, started using 4DOS/nDOS). Identity Safe is one of the reasons I have stuck with Norton 360 rather than switching to another product. However spending days going around and around with settings just to get the thing to work is absurd.

Kudos0

Thank you for the extensive feedback - we'll take this all into consideration for prioritizing fix areas in new work.

Regards,

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

Kudos1 Stats

Addendum: I had a problem solved by a Chat with Norton today. Very helpful but took 90 minutes. Could not log into same Cloud vault on several machines, several networks, several ISPs, from several geographic locations so clearly origin of problem was not mine. It took a while before Chat acknowledged this and then explaned  that there has been a server error with an attempt to solve with a recent patch distributed in Live Update. However this patch left corrupted files on all (my and probably your) machines. You must go into each machine by hand and delete corrupted files. He did it remotely for 2 of my machines and I took care of the rest. This worked for me in Windows 8.1; 7 Home Premium and XP something or other. It sure would have been helpful if there had been some alert by Norton somewhere centrally that they had not only a server error but patched (or their patch left) corrupted files. As I searched for a solution, I found similar forum reports since 2010, usually with the Norton rep suggesting to delete the Vault and reinstall and you-did-turn-on-the-back-up-didn't-you? I had to persist in refusing to accept that anything I did was responsible the problem. Unfortunately I was painstakingly responsible for the solution.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.