• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 ignoring exclusions

Every time I scan with Norton 360 it detects the same file and quarantines it. I restore it, tell it to exclude the file signature, but the next time I scan the same file is detected and quarantined again.

I've even gone to Settings > Antivirus > Scans and Risks > Items to Exclude from Scans / Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, Script Control, SONAR and Download Intelligence Detection / Signatures to Exclude from All Detections and excluded this file from all three options.

I also tried excluding the entire folder, but that didn't do anything either.

So what's the deal Norton? Why are my exclusions being ignored? I want this file to remain where it is an completely ignored by my security suite.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 ignoring exclusions

If you believe a file has been mistakenly detected, you may submit a dispute at https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/.

Every time I scan with Norton 360 it detects the same file and quarantines it. I restore it, tell it to exclude the file signature, but the next time I scan the same file is detected and quarantined again.

I've even gone to Settings > Antivirus > Scans and Risks > Items to Exclude from Scans / Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, Script Control, SONAR and Download Intelligence Detection / Signatures to Exclude from All Detections and excluded this file from all three options.

I also tried excluding the entire folder, but that didn't do anything either.

Um, please share any-more info about the "same file" and the exclude Signature?  

Please tell us what Norton is telling you regarding this event(s).
 For information regarding this event > from Norton pop-up > View Details > Copy to Clipboard n'/or from Norton history > More Options > Copy to Clipboard > paste here.

Kudos0

bjm_:

If you believe a file has been mistakenly detected, you may submit a dispute at https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/.

I am aware of the process of reporting false positives.

bjm_:

Um, please share any-more info about the "same file" and the exclude Signature?  

Please tell us what Norton is telling you regarding this event(s).
 For information regarding this event > from Norton pop-up > View Details > Copy to Clipboard n'/or from Norton history > More Options > Copy to Clipboard > paste here.

Those details are irrelevant. Let's try to focus on why the program isn't behaving as intended. Regardless of a file's legitimacy, Norton should properly follow manually set exclusions.

Kudos0

Charles D: I am aware of the process of reporting false positives.

Okay.  

Charles D: Those details are irrelevant. Let's try to focus on why the program isn't behaving as intended. Regardless of a file's legitimacy, Norton should properly follow manually set exclusions.

Okay.  Maybe, I can reproduce....maybe, not.....depends on the "details".    Maybe, I can submit false positive report. 

Okay, you want focus regarding > 
Norton did not behave as intended.  
Norton should properly follow manually set exclusions.

I hear ya'. 

> Chat with Official Norton Support   --|-- Call Official Norton Support 

Kudos0

Just asking here.

Are you sure it is being detected during scans and not when you are accessing the file? If the file is in fact problematic, it would be detected upon access and removed if it was doing something malicious.

Those exclusions you set are just for the quick and full system scans

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.