• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 keeps killing valid downloads

Hi: I've been trying to download and maintain three programs from a trusted supplier. When I try to download them with N360 running I get an error message that because they have been downloaded so infrequently (which actually isn't true) they must be bad so I can't download them. So I turn off "Download Intelligence" which allows me to download and install them (and their dependencies) and get them running. I can run the programs as long as I have Download Intelligence turned off. However as soon as I reboot, or try to use the programs after Download Intelligence restarts it immediately kills the program, removes and quarantines the download files. I have to go through the download sequence again with no firewall. This is absolutely unacceptable - I should be able to keep running this software if I know and trust the source, and have successfully downloaded and installed the programs once? Has anyone had the same experience, and if so, how do I get N360 to leave these programs alone? Please don't tell me to add them to an Ignore list that I can't find, or isn't actually recognized by N360. Been there - done that! Thanks, John

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 keeps killing valid downloads

John, exclude them in your Norton dashboard settings. Under "Items to exclude from auto-protect, sonar and download intelligence. Click "configure" just to the right and add your files/programs to the exclusion list.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.134 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270
Kudos0

When I try to download them with N360 running I get an error message that because they have been downloaded so infrequently (which actually isn't true) 

If the downloads you are trying to get are new/updated versions of existing programs it could be true that few users in the Norton Community have downloaded those files.

You can exclude the files as noted by SoulAsylum. But only do that if you are absolutely sure those files are safe.

Another suggestion is to submit the files to Norton as possible false positive detections. You can report false positive indications here https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Thanks SoulAsylum! That did it, although I had to turn off Download Intelligence to do the downloads, then add the downloaded zipped files to "Items to exclude", then unzip the files, then add the unzipped files and folders to the exclude list, then do the install, then add the installed files to the exclude list. Seems excessive for known safe files!? Just waiting now for the system to reboot then I'll see if it still lets me use the programs. And yes to PeterWeb - I'll suggest to Norton and the source of the programs that they play nice!

Thanks again, John

Kudos0

You are most welcome sir. Please submit those files as peterweb suggested to it can be included into the Norton database with whatever results they determine.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.134 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270