• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 local vault missing

Until this morning, I was under the impression that I had a local vault.  That is what I opted for when I upgraded to version 6 last year.  Now seemingly, my local vault has been merged into an online vault.  I only know this because I kept getting a nag telling me to log into my account.  I didn't, I contact the support team.  They insisted that I log into the account, which I did, and now they tell me that I no longer have a local vault.  I can also see that N360 had started doing daily automatic back ups of my vault onto my hard drive, without telling me.  What's that about?  Why would I need daily backups of an online vault?  What they heck are they playing at?

Is there a way to get my my local vault back?

I have deleted the vault because I simply don't want or need those details storing in the cloud.

I'm happy enough to ditch Symantec when the product is up for renewal in a couple of months if that feature is gone and I managed for years without a password manager, so it's no particular hardship.

Thanks for reading.

BTW.  I can't believe they use captcha.  It is ridiculously user-unfriendly IMO

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 local vault missing

Until this morning, I was under the impression that I had a local vault.  That is what I opted for when I upgraded to version 6 last year.  Now seemingly, my local vault has been merged into an online vault.  I only know this because I kept getting a nag telling me to log into my account.  I didn't, I contact the support team.  They insisted that I log into the account, which I did, and now they tell me that I no longer have a local vault.  I can also see that N360 had started doing daily automatic back ups of my vault onto my hard drive, without telling me.  What's that about?  Why would I need daily backups of an online vault?  What they heck are they playing at?

Is there a way to get my my local vault back?

I have deleted the vault because I simply don't want or need those details storing in the cloud.

I'm happy enough to ditch Symantec when the product is up for renewal in a couple of months if that feature is gone and I managed for years without a password manager, so it's no particular hardship.

Thanks for reading.

BTW.  I can't believe they use captcha.  It is ridiculously user-unfriendly IMO

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hi UK201407,

The short answer to your question is yes, you can regain the Local Vault, although you would have to rvert to N 360 v 6 and then over the top upgrade to the latest N 360 offering - plus, yu woulod need a .csv formatted backup of your ID Safe data in order to reenter it into the V 6 version.  Your "auto backup of the cloud vault is encrypted and will not work for this reversion - also, as you do not say what your OS is, it is not possibkle to do this with Win 8.

Let us know what your desire is.

Kudos0

Thanks for the reply yank.  I was almost there, but as you'll know your tip about the csv file was crucial to making this work.  Everytime I used the backup version I'd created, N 360 forced me to configure an online vault.  I went back to version 5 and imported the file there, then exported as a csv file.

Just for completeness, I'm using Windows 7.

All the best.

Kudos0

Glad you got it sorted out and your are most welcome for the tip.  If you need anything else you know where to find us.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.