• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 multi-device not working on El Capitan, Norton help team raised white flag.

On Oct 6 I contacted Norton help team to say Norton was in a 'live update/restart' loop and was failing on my 2015 macbookpro 15". After a LogMeIn session, the adviser tried several times to uninstall my Norton and reinstall 360, but saw that I had upgraded to El Capitan and then remarked that he/she couldn't help me anymore as El Capitan is still in Beta (which is not true) and so unsupported at this time. "Try again in a week or so". What?! That's it?  That's the help?

I tried to explain that my Norton 360 was failing BEFORE I upgraded to ElCapitan on Oct 5, but it fell on deaf ears.  I even had to ask to add some time to my subscription, the adviser didn't offer. They were just going to leave me hanging.

Do I try again now?  At present, none of our macs here have protection until this is sorted out (lucky we have macs!)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 multi-device not working on El Capitan, Norton help team raised white flag.

I seriously just came here to post the same thing. I am having the same problem, my install crashes mid install and nothing finishes, seriously  looks like the only thing that installs is live update. None of the other engines finished. I've tried on two different macs with el capitan and one of them is a brand new out of the box imac.

NORTON REPS WHERE ARE YOU?

the new OS is def not still in beta its been released to the world. fix your products.

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 multi-device not working on El Capitan, Norton help team raised white flag.

I had this issue but with El Capitan (OSX 10.11). A fresh install of OSX 10.11 and then installed NIS (as a part of my Norton 360 multi-device subscription) as the first software on Mac. Went into Download failed / Retry loop.

Contacted live agent. He gave me a link to download the offline installer of NIS 5.7 (forgot to copy the download link) and then run Live Update to update from 5.7 to 5.8 and assured me that NIS 5.8 should run on OSX 10.11. 

Alas, no joy.

Anti Virus protection is turned off and does not turn back on. Error = "AntiVirus Auto-Protect could not load the scan engine. Please run Live Update to get the latest version."

Live Update now show all software is up-to-date.

Firewall window does not open either via NIS window or the Norton Firewall icon in Launchpad. Just briefly open Firewall window and then auto closes.

Has also impacted my Airdrop connectivity since now I cannot transfer files between my iPhone and Mac with NIS.

Norton said that 5.8 is compatible with OSX 10.11 but they obviously need to still work on it.

Norton, I am asking you to extend my subscription for the days you cannot provide me a working software for 10.11.

Kudos0

Forgot to add that chat with 2nd Live Agent revealed that many other users that raised similar issues (NIS 5.8 not working with 10.11) and that the agents in turn have raised this with Symantec. Live Agents are obviously third party.

Kudos0

I sent a messege to norton support on twitter today, they recorded the problem and offered me an upgrade to one of the new products. I said ok for the time being...but i still need to provide them with some version data of my mac when i get home. So other than offering different products no solution as of yet.

I also told them I wasnt the only one with the problem there is a forum filled with the same issues lol

Kudos0

Hey guys just FYI norton support on twitter just upped me to their newest version of the software to be used on 10 devices for free...he also said 360 is not supported. So id hit them up for an upgrade instead of waiting for a fix

Kudos0

First off, apologies for any inconvenience.  To set the record straight, N360 Multi-device works on El Capitan. You can install the latest version from this location. 

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/NISNAVMAC/5.8/NortonInternetSecurity.N360E_ESD.dmg

Private message me If you have specific question or still need help. The installer above you will need to enter your subscription product key.  

Regards,

Simon

Kudos0

I called Norton help again today and referred them to your link, but they have confirmed that my N360MD is NOT working. We have been with Norton for over a decade and never had any problems, but we now have three unprotected macs here. I'm very unhappy. The satisfaction survey also did not arrive by email.... not surprised. (Oct 9,11:40am)Just on the phone to Norton help, waiting for 20 minutes on the line whilst the advisor speaks to her supervisor, then I was cut off!!! This is now quite out of hand. We are just about to purchase 6 macs for work and would ordinarily be happy to stick with Norton. Now, not so sure.

Kudos0

Installing 5.7 and then updating to 5.8 does not work. I removed 5.7 via the removal tool and installed from your link above. Live Update still failed to update the Virus Defs and hence did not turn on the Anti-Virus and Idle Scan.

However, I kept on launching the Live Update and about 8-9 tries later it was able to download latest Virus Defs and auto turned on the Anti Virus and Idle Scan. All seems to be good now. Though it should not have taken so many tries; most people will give up after hitting Live Update once or twice and noting that it is still failing.

Those who received free upgrade, lucky you :)

Kudos0

This fixed my problem completely, after running the LiveUpdate, because the scan engine won't load before the LiveUpdate (only 220 MB updates)...

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/NISNAVMAC/5.8/NortonInternetSecurity.N360E_ESD.dmg

+ I deleted all of Symantec using the downloadable file: RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command

Kudos0

I seem to be able to run Norton 360 multi-device V5.8 OK on the latest El Capitan and Safari, but it appears that the norton toolbar is no longer an option for Safari.  Otherwise, how do I install it?  If I go to Safe Web and tick the "show toolbar box", nothing happens, even after restarting Safari or rebooting my mac.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.