• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 Not Preforming as Normall

I have been a user of Norton for many years and this is the first issue I have had with any of the products I've owned. The machine in question is a Dell Inspiron 1545 4gb windows 7. I've ran 360 on it since it was purchased in 2009 without issue.

What was 1st noticed, about 2 weeks ago, is it would not open. I was wanting to preform some normal updating and scanning and it would not open from any avenue used.  My machine was recognizing that it was in the background but nothing else.

After searching this site, I performed an uninstall/reinstall using downloaded Norton utilities. Installed successfully, but would not open, would not update, would not open and giving me Error 8506, 421. I followed the path explained from Support and even though it is not a Lenovo I investigated if the Instant Reply issue. Nothing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 360 several times. During these uninstalls I have used Norton uninstall tools and lastly manually uninstalled 360, without success.

Please help!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Not Preforming as Normall

I have been a user of Norton for many years and this is the first issue I have had with any of the products I've owned. The machine in question is a Dell Inspiron 1545 4gb windows 7. I've ran 360 on it since it was purchased in 2009 without issue.

What was 1st noticed, about 2 weeks ago, is it would not open. I was wanting to preform some normal updating and scanning and it would not open from any avenue used.  My machine was recognizing that it was in the background but nothing else.

After searching this site, I performed an uninstall/reinstall using downloaded Norton utilities. Installed successfully, but would not open, would not update, would not open and giving me Error 8506, 421. I followed the path explained from Support and even though it is not a Lenovo I investigated if the Instant Reply issue. Nothing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 360 several times. During these uninstalls I have used Norton uninstall tools and lastly manually uninstalled 360, without success.

Please help!!

Kudos0

Hi ZRXBUFF,
Did your machine had in past or currently have any other security software installed?
Did you go into windows 'event viewer' too see if anything was logged there related to this error?

To do a comparatively clean install, I suggest you to perform the below steps.
0) Download a FREE version of Malwarebytes antimalware from www.malwarebytes.org and run a scan.
1) Download Ccleaner from www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Download your current Norton product from manage.norton.com
Download Norton Removal Tool from www.norton.com/nrt
(Be sure to read whats given there)
2)Since you have already uninstalled your N360, run Norton Removal Tool and follow its instructions.
3)Restart your machine and run Cleaner option of Ccleaner.
4)Now install the downloaded setup of N360
5)Perform manual live updates untill it says no more updates are there.
6)Shutdown your system, wait for a few minutes, start it.
Now check if the problem is still there.
Please update us regarding this...
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

The error you are seeing can indicate some corruption of your product install, that needs more than just reinstalling.

Try clearing all Windows temp files. Then find the Windows/Prefetch folder and delete all the files in that folder. These files help Windows load programs quickly. They will be recreated when Windows is restarted.

Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Restart the computer once more. The first restarts may take a little longer as the Prefetch files are recreated.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I need to  apologize  for not responding quicker to these post.  My job pulls me away.

Thank you both for the information.  I will use both and really clean the &$@& out of the thing, then reinstall and update.

i will post my results.

thank you,

ZRXBUFF

Kudos0

Well I tried and nothing worked.

cleaned and cleared 2 more times....nothing.

still can't open..can't update.....but it show running in the background.

Kudos0

Hi,
I hope you have done it how I suggested.
Do you have any other security software installed in your system in past or currently?
Did malwarebytes come clean after scanning?
Does the 'scan fails' get an entry in Windows 'event viewer'?
Please execute the following:
Click start> type cmd > right click on the windows command line interpreter > select run as administrator.
Type ' sfc /scannow '
Hit enter or return key.
Keep us updated regarding this...
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.