• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 Premier Anti-virus Scan missed 10 viruses

What is going on with the Norton 360 Premier Antivirus? I've been using it now for at least 4 years and it never found a virus (or so it reports) and only an occasional tracking cookie. My friend has been "bugging" me to try another anti-virus and so I gave in today. I first ran a full system scan using my Norton 360 Premier antivirus and it found nothing. I rebooted and ran the other antivirus. It found ten, yes - 10, viruses, including phishing and key stroke trackers in both programs and my registry. Doesn't Norton scan for all viruses in all areas or does it take "shortcuts" and leave many areas uncheck and vulnerable? And if it does leave vulnerabilities why should I stay with Norton and Symantec?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Premier Anti-virus Scan missed 10 viruses

Hello PTaylor

When you ran the other scan, did you uninstall N360 first using the control panel method, reboot and use the NRT and then reboot before you installed the other product? If you have come back to N360, you have to follow the same process before you can successfully install N360.

That brings up the point of what you were using before Norton and was the other product thoroughly removed before you installed Norton?

Please come back and let us know the answers. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I have only used Norton 360 Premier on this laptop prior to using AVG yesterday.Yes, I uninstalled, rebooted, and then used NRT before loading and running AVG anti-virus (free version) only. I then removed AVG and reloaded Norton 360 Premier.

What I now find funny was that when I just booted up the Norton Malicious Software Tool ran for about 20 minutes. I always monitor my system start-up because it takes so long until I can use a browser; this was the first time in over a year I have seen the Malicious Software Tool run.

Kudos0

PTaylor:

What I now find funny was that when I just booted up the Norton Malicious Software Tool ran for about 20 minutes.

Norton Malicious Software Tool...?   Do you mean Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool...?

Kudos0

Sorry..my fault. It was the Microsoft Malicious Software Tool which ran, not Norton. Had Norton on my mind....

Kudos0

..and is about 20 minutes unusual .... 

Kudos0

What, exactly, did AVG find, and where on your machine was the malware located?  Phishing, for example, is not a result of malware, and finding registry keys is not always an indicator of a current infection.  Having seen a number of posts similar to this over the years in which "missed viruses" turned out to be things like harmless left-over remnants of previously removed infections, I am always a little skeptical.  Additionally, some "gray programs" can be classified as safe by one AV and a threat by another.  Can you provide the read-out of what AVG found?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.