• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 Premier Edition v22.5&22.5.4.24 Scan does not remember excluded items

With Norton 360 Premier Edition v22.5 & 22.5.4.24 which runs Windows 10 Home RTM Build 10240 that was upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium, it appears that ever since it was upgraded to Windows 10, the scans it does such as quick and full scans when the system is idle, when I exclude items, it will keep prompting me for the same items over and over on the future scans instead of excluding it from future scans as can be seen in the attached.

It seems like it will remember to exclude the first one but it's still telling me about it.  And I select Apply All...

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Premier Edition v22.5&22.5.4.24 Scan does not remember excluded items

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Premier Edition v22.5&22.5.4.24 Scan does not remember excluded items

Interesting, what is the purpose of telling it to exclude if it doesn't add it to the exclude list?  The first one is excluded automatically though.  

Kudos0

Almighty1: Interesting, what is the purpose of telling it to exclude if it doesn't add it to the exclude list?  The first one is excluded automatically though.  

IDK....that Topic was from August.  Maybe, file changed.  Um, where do you download from....and what version...? 
Here info reports > "Good tool, but WATCH OUT for ASK and QUICKSTORES TOOLBARS" <

YMMV ~ Downloaded File FFSetup3.7.5.1-WebInstaller.exe from softonic.com
Many Users
Thousands of users in the Norton Community have used this file.
New
This file was released 17 days ago.
Good
Norton has given this file a favorable rating.

Try doing Custom Install and watch for opt out of installing grayware/bloatware/crapware.  eg: Toolbars
Before you Agree n' Accept file read EULA / T&C for info what FFSetup installer brings to your machine.

VirusTotal report > Format-Factory.exe > <here>

Kudos0

Not sure what version, it came with TVersity Media Server Pro as it's used for the transcoding.  What's weird is you can see from the first picture, it automatically excludes but it doesn't do it on the others, seems like Norton 360 is not remembering exclusions from the scanner but only when one goes to setup and manually excludes, I always used the same TVerisity and FF stuff has never been updated since at least a year ago, it just seems like it could be a Norton compatibility issue with Windows 10 or something because I remember when I first updated to Windows 10 even with the Norton compatible update, excluding or fixing things actually froze the program so I just always clicked on x in that window instead and then later, it worked fast again probably after some updates.  

Actually, what I mentioned above is in regards to Community Toolbar.  Format Factory is v3.11 except I know it's been at least a year I installed it even though Windows changes the date to the date of the Windows 10 installation in Programs and Settings.  I'll give 3.7.5.1 a try and see what happens even the author's site still lists 3.7.5 as the newest version but using their link and changing the version number works for the full installer:
http:// westusa. pcfreetime. com/ FFSetup3.7.5. 1. exe

[Edit: Removed direct link to a downloadable to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

Um, from this distance I see three items quarantined.   Two PUA.FormatFactory and one PUA.CommunityToolbar. 
I'm imagining Quarantine History shows three events.  Each event will have More Options and Copy to Clipboard.   I don't have access to TVersity Media Server Pro.
I may imagine file setup download reported by Download Insight and perhaps file launch reported by Auto-Protect.  
In general medium and high risks are managed by Norton.  As these three appear as low risk you're asked to participate due to (your) Norton settings.

Edit: hxxp://download. pcfreetime.com/FFSetup3.7.5.0.exe
Many Users
Tens of thousands of users in the Norton Community have used this file.
Mature
This file was released 1 month ago.
Trusted
Norton has given this file a trusted rating.
VirusTotal report <here>
YMMV

Kudos0

It's not always 3, sometimes the scan on the same day can list like 3 for one and 6 for the other.  I always thought when one chooses exclude, it was supposed to add to the local database to exclude for the future.  Download Insight is different as when you exclude something, it actually adds to the items to be excluded list.  Maybe exclude in the prompt really means excludes this time only and not exclude this time and also in the future.

Kudos0

Just tried both the full installer and the web installer, the full installer while the filename has 3.7.5.1 in the filename really installs 3.7.5.0, the web installer starts as 3.7.5.1 but after it does the download and continues, it's 3.7.5.0.  

Kudos0

Um, what do you do about > AskPIP_FF_.exe > e.g., herdProtect info here

Kudos0

I clicked cancel on that one as well as unchecked the box in that same screen, clicked cancel on the next few screens as well as they all wanted to install something other than Format Factory.

Kudos0

So, you're reporting Norton is / is not _________...?

Kudos0

No idea, Norton reports it's safe as the sequence went like this, I open the file, Norton scans it and reports it's safe and then I still don't see the installer screen until 45 seconds after Norton says it's safe.  

Kudos0

The scanning part is actually a minor problem as it's really just a few mouse clicks away....  I'm more concerned about this as I had been using the update since September 28, 2015:

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norto...

where #5 says:
* Fixes an issue where 'Auto-Protect is Greyed out'

Kudos0

Um, you'll find here Edited: 07-Oct-2015 that 'Auto-Protect is Greyed out' is still listed with HOT ISSUES - these issues continue to exist, and our engineering team is working to resolve them in a future update.

4) Unable to disable Auto-Protect in Norton Product after updating to 22.5, with a message shown: "These settings cannot be changed due to a pending remediation action. Restart you computer to resolve the issue." Restart does not resolve the issue.

Kudos0

Yeah, just saw the other thread where you were discussing it.  Didn't realize they had another post with current hot issues.  Guess the users are the beta testers.

Kudos0

Almighty1:  Guess the users are the beta testers.

I hear ya'.  I'd like to see a rolling beta running concurrent with release channel.  But, hey... that's just me.  

Kudos0

Me too, they can always just make people sign up for the beta channel.  

Kudos0

Almighty1,
FormatFactory setup is interesting to say the least.   The EULA hints at ....but, you'll have to read and click careful.

Kudos0

True, I was very cautious when you asked what version before I downloaded and did the install, the full installer seems worse for some reason.  

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.