• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 Renewal

My Norton 360 (N360) subscription is about to expire.  When I open N360 up and select "Renew" I get two N360 renewal options only.  I thought N360 was going away and being replaced by Norton Security (NS).  I have three questions: 1. Should I stay with N360 since that's what I have now?  I fear that it soon will not be fully supported with the latest updates.  2. Since NS is not a renewal option from my N360, do I have to access the Symantec/Norton site and purchase NS as a new purchase?  3. I have SuperAntiSpyWare currently installed on my computer.  Do I have to uninstall SuperAntiSpyWare and N360 before I install NS?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Renewal

Hello mrm1

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

1. N360 will be supported completely as it is now. We do not have any date available when and if support will end. The choice is up to you if you want to stay with N360. It will be difficult to find it in any store or website now, so you might be stuck having to get it thru the Norton eStore where prices are high.

2. Actually NSwB is the replacement for N360 since that has the backup feature. If you do not use the backup, then NS would be the replacement. You can find either of these products in stores or in websites. The programs come only as a download, no CD's for these programs. Here is a site which compares and helps you choose what to get.

http://www.nortonsecurityonline.com/norton-security-vs-old-products.html

Thanks to F4E for the link.

3. If you have the free version of SuperAntiSpyware, that is fine. NS or NSwB will uninstall N360 for you. I would backup your identity safe if you use that feature just in case. You don't have to uninstall N360 first unless you are having major problems with it. NS will uninstall it first and save most of your settings. Do remember to run live update until you get all the updates and reboot when asked you. Do one more reboot for good measure when you are finished updating.

If you are running Windows 8/8.1, please turn off Fast Startup before you start any of this. It is needed for Norton to work correctly and other programs also. Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks for your reply.  

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my computer.  After installing Google Chrome I installed Norton Security without uninstalling Norton 360 or SuperAntiSpyWare.  NS installed and I initially got the NS icon at the lower right side of my screen.  Using this icon, I could access NS to look at settings, get updates, etc.  Somewhere during the process NS asked or a reboot which I did.  After the reboot, I lost the NS icon on the lower right of my screen.  I have a NS icon on my desktop that doesn't do much.  I uninstalled SuperAntiSpyWare and redownloaded NS but never did get the icon back.  When I go to Control Panel-Security NS appears to be up and running.  What do I need to do to get the icon back on the lower right side of my screen?  Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Hello

You could try the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool just in case you got a corrupted download or install. Here is the KB and Instructions for the Tool.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

www.norton.com/nrnr

Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I removed NS using the tool you provided and reinstalled it.  After installation I got the NS icon on the lower right of the screen.  I did a live update after which it asked me to reboot which I did.  When I rebooted, the NS icon did not appear but Security Center shows NS to be on.  I do get error message 8504, 104 now.  Any ideas?  I can't access NS to do anything after I lose the icon.  Thanks for your help.  

Kudos0

Hi, mrm1. This Norton KB article may be of some help.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/v62545568_End...

Let us know if it worked for you.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thank you for your reply.  

Last night I uninstalled SuperAntiSpyWare and then uninstalled/reinstalled Norton Security (NS).  When the NS installation process was complete the NS icon worked so I opened NS and did a live update after which NS prompted me to reboot which I did.  After the reboot and several more I never could get the NS icon to show up so I shut down the computer for the night.  

This morning when I started the computer I got the NS icon so I opened NS and started a complete system scan.  After about 45 minutes the scan seemed to stop and the computer locked up so I rebooted after which I got no NS icon.  I went to the link that you provided above and since last night I had already first unistalled SuperAntiSpyWare and then uninstalled/reinstalled NS I skipped to step 3.  As best I can tell my video driver is NVIDIA GeForce MX 420 for which I could get no updates.  Rebooting after the attempted update yielded no NS icon.

My computer seems to run warm after a while because you can hear the internal fan better after it's been running for a while.  Everything should have been cool this morning when I started the computer.  Could that have anything to do with what's going on?  

Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Hi,mrm1. Have you tried right clicking your Taskbar/Properties/Customize then look for Norton Security, and ensure it says Show icon and notifications ? Then click OK.

Rebooting the computer may settle things down. If not as you now have Norton Security installed, try the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool, as it will replace your current install with a clean one. Hopefully, that should fix any problems with freezing or lag.

http://www.norton.com/nrnr Please read the Before you begin note, and run Live Update until no more are found.

After the reinstall, reboot again. Let us know how you go.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thanks for your reply.

I right clicked the taskbar, clicked Properties, had to click Hide Inactive Icons to be able to click Customize, and changed Norton Security (NS) to Always Show.  I still don't see the NS icon.

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled NS two times and get the same thing each time - I get the NS icon during installation and can access the NS menu.  After a reboot I don't get the NS icon and cannot access the NS menu.  Going to Control Panel then Security Center shows NS to be active even when there is no NS icon.

I have an old version of Internet Explorer that would not allow me to see or make work the various options in my Norton account.  So during my purchase and initial installation of NS I had to install Google Chrome in order to see and make work all of the options in my Norton Account in order to initially download Norton Security.  Could Google Chrome have anything to do with my missing NS icon?  When I uninstall/reinstall NS I have to access my Norton Account once NS has been removed in order to reinstall NS so I need Google Chrome or something similar.

SuperAntiSpyWare was removed from my computer before the first uninstall/reinstall of NS and I removed Norton Management before the last uninstall/reinstall so I think my computer was clear of all anti virus and anti spyware programs before the last installation of NS.  Any further help and guidance is most appreciated.

Kudos0

Hello

I think the other users with XP computers use Firefox since that keeps an up to date browser and is compatible with NS.It may have some problems also, but I think Firefox is still usable. and NS is still usable. Most people I think who use Chrome end up having problems. I personally use IE, but my xp died a few years ago.

Kudos0

Hi, mrm1. I agree with flo. Chrome has been a problem pretty much for as long as the Toolbar has been integrated into the browser after Google changed the rules.

Firefox may work for you, and I suggest running Live Update until no more are found and then pulling a full install of Firefox from Mozilla and installing it, if you don't already have it.

I don't know if a Windows File check will help, but it may be worth running it to see if it picks up any damaged files.

Here are some options.   http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/p/sfc-command-system-file-checker.htm

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thank you for your reply.

I'm running Internet Explorer 7 and I think the latest IE that's compatable with XP is IE8.  Would I gain anything by downloading IE8 and removing IE7?

From what I'm reading, it sounds like this is your suggested course of action:

1. Run a windows file check (sfc/scannow) to see if any issues are identified.  Reboot afterwards and see if the NS icon works.  If it doesn't:

2. Download Firefox browser.  After the download is complete uninstall Google Chrome.  Reboot afterwards and see if  the NS icon works.

Please review this course of action and if I've got it out of order or have left something out, please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help and support.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello mm1

If you are able to get IE 8 and the windows updates for it, you would have more protection. Each update for IE is better than the previous one. But since you are using XP, I would forget about IE except if there are any programs which require IE and go with Firefox since you can use an up to date browser and with the proper add-ons have much more protection.

Even if the icon works with IE 8 or Chrome, I would recommend using Firefox and the icon should then work better since the browser is more up to date than IE 7 or 8.

Kudos0

Running sfc/scannow was not straightforward so I didn't do that.  So I:

-Downloaded Firefox browser.  I then uninstalled Google Chrome and rebooted my computer and logged on.  The NS icon did not appear after reboot and logon.  I logged off and logged back on and got the NS icon with 8506, 421 error.  I repeated this process several times with the same results.

-I then uninstalled NS and reinstalled it.  As has happened every time that I reinstalled NS, I got the NS icon when installation was complete.  I ran Live Updates twice and did a Quick Scan and restarted my computer.  After restart and logging on I got no NS icon.  However, if I logged off and logged back on I got the NS icon and could access the NS menu.  I repeated this process several times and each time after a computer start could only get the NS icon by logging off from my initial log on and logging back on.  I never tried this when I had Google Chrome installed so I don't know if this would have worked with GC.

I may have made some progress because I now know how to get the NS icon but I still don't get it on initial log on as I should.

What should I try next to get NS right?

Also, I would like to eventually download Malwarebytes Free Edition and SuperAntiSpyeware Free Editon because I've found in the past that they find things that Norton does not.  As long as I only open these programs to run on-demand scans are they compatable with NS?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Kudos0

Hello

Yes, they are compatible with NS.

Kudos0

Update:

-I downloaded SuperAntiSpyWare Free edition and ran a scan and got 32 items which SASW removed.

-I downloaded MalwareBytes Free edition and ran a scan and got 820 items which MB quarantined.

I then rebooted my computer, logged in and got no NS icon in the system tray.  I logged off and back on and got the NS icon - so no change from before the SASW and MB scans.

What do I need to try next to get the NS icon to appear in the system tray upon initial log in?

Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Hello mm1

Since malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware found so much to delete on your computer and since you are using XP, I would recommend that you pay a visit to one of the free malware removal sites. They can help you to determine if there is any more malware on your computer. Since you are on XP, you are more susceptible to malware. If you do have malware, they will help you to remove it safely. After you are finished with the malware removal site, then use the removal and reinstall tool and get a clean install of your Norton product.

Please see this link for an up to date description of these sites plus the addition of a newly listed site formed by one of our successful malware remover users. The new site is listed first in this link.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/malware-removal-forum-recommendations

Please come back when you go and sign up with one of the sites. You can keep us informed, but we can't help you while you are working 1 on 1 with the malware expert at the site you pick. Come back after you are finished with the malware site. Thanks.

Kudos0

Update:

Since my previous install of NS may have been on an "infected" computer based on SuperAntiSpyWare (SASW) and MalwareByte (MB) scans, I uninstalled SASW and MB.  Then using the Norton removal tool uninstalled NS.  I then reinstalled NS, ran 2 live updates and ran a quick scan.  I rebooted the computer and got the NS icon on initial login.  I downloaded SASW Free Edition, ran a scan and got 3 items.  Then I downloaded MB Free Edition, ran a scan and got nothing.  I then rebooted the computer and did not get the NS icon on initial login.  I had to logoff and login to get the icon.

I feel that my computer is fairly "clean" now since I got nothing with MB and only 3 things with SASW on my last scan immediately after my last installation of NS.

I had similar problems with the icon in the system tray when I installed Norton 360 several years ago.  The problem then seemed to be that I installed N360 with SuperAntiSpyWare installed.  After uninstalling SASW and uninstalling/reinstalling N360 and then reinstalling SASW my icon issue was solved.

Do I need to try Norton Power Eraser, which I think is included in NS, and or sfc /scannow as was suggested earlier in this post?

Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Hello mm1

I still would recommend a visit to one of the free malware removal sites and have them evaluate your computer to see if you have any malware still.  Something is allowing this malware into your system and is causing the strange behavior of your icon and having to relog in a second time.  Your computer needs a deeper testing than those 2 other programs can do.

The NPE should only be used by advanced users who know for sure that malware isn't using the name of a legit file or necessary file. I am still seeing cases where users have used the NPE and now can't boot up.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.