• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 renewed. Still interent probs

I finally got norton 360 up to my current one my internet has been up and down since the 24th of October.  Was able to finally renew it.  I tried to go with another  antiviurs/security.  CA internet had probs trying to won't use it.   I was consider avg , and couple of others; but it didn't offer the backup that norton 360 did I think and all gizmos.  One of my questions is that will I be able to upgrade to 4.0 when it finally comes out?  Also, there is still one thing that I've not gotten when it is up is the antiphising error yet in IE8.  One more thing should I uninstall and reinstall norton since I renewed. Expired one day , fixed it the next. Should I do a clean unisntall and reinstall it from the ground up?  It has my email rules and etc...

One more thing is there anything that can be blocking my internet with Norton 360?

By the way has anyone gotten any port scans from china lately?  I have had a few of these in the last couple of weeks.  I

Tomas01

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton 360 renewed. Still interent probs

Tomas01:

There may be a couple of issues.  When you tried the other antivirus products, did you remove them completely using their specific removal tools before you installed N360.  If you did not, there may be pieces of them left behind that will cause problems with N360.

Now that you have a valid subscription you will be able to update to version 4 on its release.

Check your Internet Explore add-ons to see if there is another anti-phishing component running that might be conflicting with Norton.  This could also be caused by improper or incomplete removal of other products.

If your Norton is working correctly, there is no reason to uninstall and reinstall the product.  If it is not working correctly, look at the other issues first as you do not want to lose the rules that you have built.

A problem connecting to the net could, again, be due to system settings changed when different products are installed and uninstalled.  There could be issues with your router or DSL that may impact Norton.  It would seem that if you are getting reports of port scans that you are appropriately connected.

Port scans are a fact of internet life.  As long as they are properly blocked, you are fine.

Let us know if you have further problems and be as specific as possible so we can assist you better.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Update to my prob.  My isp came out tonight finally after 5 or six trips,  there was a prob with the new modem that they apparently gave me. Older and bigger one something to do with updating their network 4 months ago, and that specific modem was having issues.  Gave me a new one of the same model that I had before, lot faster now.  That was only one of it, and get this in case of any interent troubles big time with cable;  Since I live in apt; the box in which the internet has connection thru ( my cable for tv was okay I guess, had no probs) short in the box and apparently they say it is fixed.

For the port scans, I'm still out on and I appreciate your help I will try to check the antiphising addons.  Mine is IE8 didn't have any probs with IE on it.  No errors have came up on it. I will let you know what happens. I had scan to make sure there is no virus on it.  I keep hearing about high jack this report. Don't know where to get or how to use it.

Thanks for your help.

Kudos1 Stats

Tomas01:

I'm not sure Hijackthis will serve you much purpose.  It requires a trained analyst to make any determination of what to do with the entries, if anything needs doing at all.  You can download the executable here.  It may take some time for someone to be available to look at it.  It is not recommended to make changes yourself, as with any of these tools, unfortunate things can result.

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Just download the executable file.  It is not necessary to install it.

What does HijackThis do?HijackThis inspects your computer’s browser and operating system settings to generate a log file of the current state of your computer. Using HijackThis you can selectively remove unwanted settings and files from your computer. Because the settings identified in a HijackThis log file can belong to both legitimate software and unwanted malware it is important to use extreme caution when selecting to removing anything using HijackThis.

How do I generate a log file?If you have not already done so download and install HijackThis:
Installer | Executable
  • Once installed open HijackThis by clicking Start > Programs > HijackThis and click the button labeled "Do a system scan only"

• Click the scan button in the lower left hand corner of the interface and HijackThis will quickly scan your system.

• Once the scan is complete the scan button will now read "save log". Click this button to save the log file to your PC. Once you select where you would like to save the file it will open in your systems default text editor. Typically this application is Notepad.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi I was with another thread but put this new one insetead.  Someone suggest me to do a high jack this and I have can someone help me with it ..  I have intermittent issues with internet  and a lot of port blockings.  Malawarebytes antimalare comes up clean , and SuperAntispyware comes up with a few cookies here and  there.

here is the attchment

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Tomas01:

What other means have you used to try and work on your system?

Kudos0

delphinium guru

Here is an update to this.  I contacted norton last night 11/30 and chatted with a tech.  Had to take off Malaware Antibytes, was blocking  registry scan on Norton 360.  ISP, has been out 3 to 4 times. Replaced a modem , came back out week later replaced the modem again because the one they gave me had issues; bigger and older one.  IE 8.  Vista 64; Reseted the IE  I did a sys restore back end of August due to another error that I had and is resolved now.  I read some of the high jack log,  I don't really know how to interperet it , but it has some missing files???  Is it becaue I did a sys restore?  Also on my sys info under windows error reporting, when I try to click on it; it freezes.

Thanks

Tomas

Kudos0

Hi

I'm no expert, but from what i see in that HiJackThis, you are missing some necessary files I think.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Tomas01:

Did you have the Mlawarebytes free version or the paid version?  I suggest that you hang on for some instructions from a HJT analyst.  Do you have an operating system disc? 

Kudos0

Malwarebytes Free will not interfer with Norton

Quads 

Kudos0

I had Malawarebytes free version.  No I do not have an operating sys dic due to hp never sent me anything on disk. I did a backup cd 1st got it , but it is like10 cds probably.  The malawarebytes was interfering with registry cleanup on Norton 360 of mine. I also have Super Antispyware free version.  I do have Norton backup online would that help if I need it?  I appreciate everyone helping me.  Here is where everything started: 

August -- I got a .net error  requires 2.5 or later;  I had help with microsoft and told me to do a sys restore to an earlier date wich was before this started.  I installed some fix to it and worked okay.  Windows updates were not working right either and eventually found the prob and corrected it after a few weeks back and fourth. Into the mid of Sept with restore and updates fixed by renaming a fldr.  With all this going on road runner internet off and on for a while.  I had one error with norton said something like .net framework  requires 3.5 or something.  Talked to norotn again, and they didn't see anything, well a couple of days went by came up again.  The fix came out thru liveupdate I guess and took care of it.  End of October my internet goes out again ISP has been here 3 to 4 times 2 new modems , and it is finally up 3 days now. I will wait for further instructions.

Thanks to everyone

Kudos1 Stats

Tomas01:

I would recommend that you talk to HP and request recovery discs.  I don't think you have a malware problem, but you do seem to have Windows errors.  You may want to do a repair rather than a reformat.  It will be helpful having the backup for your documents and important data, but it may just reload the same errors.  It is always wise to have recovery discs.

HP support will also assist you with the process.

Kudos0

Thank you and I appreciate your help.  I will contact hp for the recovery disks.I made some at the very beginning over 11 of them I think (1 set )  I think it was stupid for hp not to ship it with the computer.  I will let you know how it goes. Was you able to analyze the highjack for anything else?  My internet was down again yesterday.

Thanks

Tomas

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Tomas01:

I think there will be only two discs HP recovery.  What you may have done, is what I did at one point in time, and that is copy my entire system to discs.  Unfortunately, when I actually needed to reinstall everything due to a hard drive failure, the copying method was not the same as a re-image and it was only good for getting my documents back.

The recovery discs should allow you to replace any damaged files, or return your system to factory specs and start fresh.  Doing so, will also remove any malware on your system. Save all of your data that is important, but there is no need to copy the entire system.

Kudos0

I chatted with a tech for a few minutes before I had to go somewhere this morning.  He gave me the website info so I can order the cd's for recovery I appreciate your help and will let you know what happens. Still no one has really looked into the hijack yet.

Thanks for helping will let you know what happens it might take a couple of days to get it;  Also, my internet is up and down.  Been up mostly this weekend having trouble with my ISP right now coming out to replace a line ((ongoing issue with that))

Kudos0

For some reason the port scans have stopped nothing it was before.  I am contacting hp for the recovery cd's.  Still haven't heard anything on the hijack . A lot of files missing, but what deleted them is there a way to find out?  For the CA remnants I did click on the CA one on hijack this and took care of it finally.  I Windows side bar took too long to load.  Even with delay start and still put it on the dock.  Could Norton have deleted these files in any way.  I did a sys restore in August due to a .netframework requires 2.5 or higher.  Funny thing is Norton said it was theirs.  Something similar popped up in Norton about a month or 2 ago  said I needed to unistall and reinstall it.  I didn't have too . Some update or fix did the trick then.

I appreciate your help on this I did chat with hp I resetted the TCP/IP stack just in case.  My internet is working fine , but the cable is off on digital due to an upgrade to it poor signal thru the cable.  still fighting them on it. Will let U know what happens and kudos for helping me 

Kudos0

I just wanted to update ya on the situation internet up right now and was down over 1 week 1/2 .  Have not been able to get the hp cds yet due to christmas.  It will probably be next week or the week after before I can order them.

My norton has been working fine so far.  One thing that I did see in my prob reports from the 3rd or 4th and done it again last week was below

Network diagnostics framework v2  vendor microsoft   owner was network access protection  repair it said some kind of numbers and letters with dashes.  root cause network acess protection 1.0  orig prob with networkframework the beginning of September Norton / microsoft errors both came up . have a good chritsmas.  Let me know what ya think

Kudos0

Hi delphinium,

Finally got my restore cd's in the mail from hp.   How do I find the missing files and restore them without a whole sys restore? As for the hjt analyzer don't seen it has been done.

Message Edited by Tomas01 on 01-02-2010 04:01 PM
Kudos1 Stats

Click START > Accessories and right click on CMD.exe.  Choose "Run as administrator.." from the right click menu.  In the command prompt window, type in    SFC /SCANNOW    and press ENTER.  When the scan asks for the CDs to copy files from, use the disks from HP.  Let us now how this goes.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Did the scn and it came up with windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some them.  Nothing about using the cds, just says details are included in the cbs.log windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log   and says For example c: \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log and that is it.  Okay, I opened up note pad with admin rights and went into the cbs dir and when I tried to opened said access denied.  Then I went back to command prompt  with old school computing typed in the Windows\logs\cbs>cbs.log  also said acess denied.  So my question is how do I try to get into this cbs. log to see what they are are and what needs to be fixed?  Also , I've got 2 sys cd's and the other says supplemental cd?? Which ones do I use?Should the part on the cd's email hp?

Thank you for responding.

Kudos1 Stats

Tomas01 -

I have examined your HighJackThis log and reviewed this thread in detail.

• SFC scan -  Did the scan asked for the source disks or ask you to find the files it wanted to copy to fix the errors?  If it didn't then this is not a good sign.
  • Can you back your personal data off of the system?  You may want to try and do this either by using N360's backup or just a direct copy to CDs, external hard drives, etc.
  • The three CDs you got from HP are the Factory Restore disks for your system.  Booting to the first disk will start the restore process and will return your system to a fresh from the factory condition.  Note that to do this, the restore process will format your hard drive and remove ALL the current data on it right now.  I would recommend that you backup your N360 product key into your MyNortonAccount ( https://www.mynortonaccount.com ) before you do the restore.  I believe that the restore is your best option for a quick return of your system to a proper working state.  I would recommend you download N360 (standard from here or Premier from here) and save this file off the system for installation after the restore.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Thanks for replying.  Have not been able to backup my personal data yet.  One question, I have a D drive which came with the sys and says image.  When I go check it I guess it is the hp recovery.  Says warning hp reqovery do not alter or change files here. Only for recovery purposes.  Also,  I still haven't figured out what the cause was or still is for the deletion of these files. I just found out yesterday thru msconfig the event viewer that Super anti  spyware is running into some probs right now on my sys due to vista "64 bit". Might take it off, but it catches a lot of cookies and adware that norton maybe or not catches I don't know.  Norton has been really good for me with a few probs but had been corrected with chat of tech.  Beleive me when I went to renew just a couple of months ago I looked thru a lot of them a complete security package Norton to me was the cheapest on bundling everything.  Easier to renew on line as well.

happy new years

Tomas01

Kudos0

Hi Tomas

Do you have the latest free version of SuperAntiSpyware version? I believe that is supposed to work ok with vista 64 bit now. Don't forget to update the program every time you want to use the program. The paid version will conflict with Norton Products.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Sorry it took so long to get back been having issues.  Yes the antispyware is free.  I 've had probs with live update it gave me the wrong definitions??  Had to unistall norton and reinstall it.  Now I have a code 19 and code 31 in device manager due to the reinstall of it. Emailed norton on this  has anyone else heard of this after reinstall?  Most of portable device has code 19.  The other reason I had reinstall done was because of so many blocked port scans and support help not working.

Thanks

Tomas01

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.