• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 Safe Web not loading when opening browser.

Hello

I'm a newbie to Norton 360 and purchased it a couple of days ago.

Installing was straight-forward but I've just noticed that the Safe Web doesn't work anymore.

I'm using iGoogle as my web browser (Windows 7 is my OS) and I can see all the Norton 360 gubbins along the bar at the top. The Vault opens OK etc.

I've tried opening the left-hand Norton menu and clicking on Enable Norton Safe Web but get a message that reads:

'Your Norton Safe Web settings have been changed. Please restart your browser for the changes to take effect.'

Closing down my browser doesn't seem to help.

I also have Firefox web browser installed but don't use it much. Norton keeps asking me if I want to make it my default browser and I answer No each time. Is this anything to do with my problem?

Thanks in advanse for any help.  :)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Safe Web not loading when opening browser.

Be sure you have run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Try clicking on Support - Get Support to run  Autofix to check your installation and fix what it finds.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

munchkin wrote:

Hello

I'm a newbie to Norton 360 and purchased it a couple of days ago.

Installing was straight-forward but I've just noticed that the Safe Web doesn't work anymore.

I'm using iGoogle as my web browser (Windows 7 is my OS) and I can see all the Norton 360 gubbins along the bar at the top. The Vault opens OK etc.

I am not familiar with igoogle as a browser and am not sure it is even compatable with Norton. 

I did find the following via Google:

"On 3 July 2012, Google announced through its blog that several of its services including iGoogle will be retired due to "the unforeseen evolution of web and mobile apps and the erosion of the need for the site." iGoogle will retire on November 1, 2013. The mobile version retired on July 31, 2012."

So it appears you'll have to find anther browser of choice later this year anyway.

I've tried opening the left-hand Norton menu and clicking on Enable Norton Safe Web but get a message that reads:

'Your Norton Safe Web settings have been changed. Please restart your browser for the changes to take effect.'

Closing down my browser doesn't seem to help.

The above is pretty normal as far as receiving the restart request goes after changng anything that effects the browser/add-on.  After you enable Norton Safe Web in the drop down, restart the browser, have you gone back to checkin the dropdown that the enable Safe Web is still checked?  Have you tried to turn on Safe Web via the UI?  From main page of N 360 got to Settings > Identity Protection > Norton Safe Web (you may have to scroll down to see it) > ON.  If you have to change it, be sure to Apply before you Close.

I also have Firefox web browser installed but don't use it much. Norton keeps asking me if I want to make it my default browser and I answer No each time. Is this anything to do with my problem?

If you have another browser selected as your default browser (which it appears you have igoogle as the browser that you desire to start and use all the time), then it is normal for Firefox to ask if you desire to make it your default.  Be aware, just because you answer no, you can still use Firefox and by using Firefox, you could see if the Safe Web works or not.  This would tell you if it might be a browser problem or perhaps something wrong with the install of N 360.

Thanks in advanse for any help.  :)

Hi munchkin,

I hope I answered your questions, also if peterweb's suggestions do not help, please tell us what the results were trying the Settings in the UI and also using Firefox.

Also please tell us which version of N 360 you are using (Support > About) and also if it is the Standard or the Premiere edition.

Kudos0

Another possiblility,

What security software did you have before installing N360? You would have to fully remove that with the removal utility for that program. If you have or had another security product on your computer it can be interfering with Norton.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.