• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 Smart Firewall problem on Facebook

I have to disable my Norton 360 Smart Firewall in order to access Facebook features such as notifications.   I have Windows 10 with updates made by Microsoft about once a week.  A Norton tech did attempt to help me clear up the problem, but it returned a week later after the next Microsoft Windows update.  I think I need to make an adjustment on Firewall Program Control or Traffic Rules.

Can anyone (preferably a Norton employee) advise?!

Labels: Firewall

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Smart Firewall problem on Facebook

Hello @Jim Collier What browser are you currently using?

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 build 16299.16 / NSBU 22.11.0.41 Traditional
Kudos2 Stats

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Norton suggested I created two rules to prevent this problem from occurring.  I did.  It did not help.

One thing which really disturbs me is that when I first contacted Norton about the problem in March, they professed not to even know about the problem... which had been discussed on Los Angeles radio.

I think maybe the best cure would be to uninstall Norton and try McAfee.  That's what I plan to do when I have a few hours to spend on the problem.  I'm just not going to argue with people in India or where ever they are who don't even know about a problem which is well known around here.  

Once again. I have Windows 10 on my desktop computer and Norton 360.  About 60% of the time, I have to disable the Smart Firewall in order to access alerts and other features on Facebook.  Further, *I* figured out it was the Smart Firewall without Norton's help.  They obviously don't want to admit they have a problem they can't fix.  *THAT'S* a huge problem in itself.  You can't trust people who won't admit they know about a problem.

Kudos0

which had been discussed on Los Angeles radio.

Interesting.

Was this on some tech show? And was it specifically Norton discussed for the Facebook issue, or were other products involved with the discussion?

Kudos0

To answer this idiot's question would be like arguing whether a technical problem exists and whether Norton can solve it.

1. The existence of the problem is well known in Los Angeles and has been discussed in the media.

2. Norton knows about the problem.

3. Norton can't solve the problem.

I believe I have found a solution and that is to eliminate Norton from my computers.  

I'm out of here!

Kudos0

I apologize for not living in Los Angeles and having access to the programming you listen to. I was asking for you to enlighten me with some of the details of what was discussed in that program. If other software is also having issues with Facebook, I would think that this might be a relevant piece of information to help diagnose what is happening.

As this issue is not affecting all users, there must be some other common factor that is affecting the users. The difficulty is in gathering enough information and logs from enough users to be able to identify what that common denominator is. Sorry if you do not want to help by answering the simple questions I asked above. Who knows, it could have been the key to the solution.

Kudos0

Dunno if the poster who doesn't "live in Los Angeles" is able to read and research, but something like a dozen other people in this same forum reported the same or similar problems with the Smart Firewall.  He after all referenced a Norton article which supposedly fixes the problem. The article directs the user through the steps in creating two traffic rules.  I did that.  It did not fix the problem.

I said I was through arguing.  If the poster is also a Norton employee, that would explain a lot to me personally!   This knowledge itself does not fix the problem, but it does point to scuttling Norton from one's computer(s) as one solution.  

The issue probably does affect users who have the same builds of Norton 360 and Windows 10 on desktop computers that I have... and that would be a very large number of people.   

Kudos0

Hello Jim Collier

Since your topic is the same as this other thread, you should really join that thread. Symantec Employee Sunil who is an Administrator of this Forum has posted in that thread. Please send Sunil a PM and offer to send some logs since you are having the issues. The collection of logs helps to get the issue fixed..

Gurus, btw are not Symantec Employees. We are users like yourself who volunteer our time to try and help out other users with their Norton products. This other thread which I would like you to join has other users who are having the same problem. I know you have looked at some of the posts. Sunil I saw also asked  some questions in the thread. You can also try and answer his questions.

In the meantime, I will try and get some one to update that thread.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/smart-firewall-interferes-facebook-website

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.11.0.41 I E 11
Kudos0

How can I convince you that I am no longer concerned with what Norton says or does?  I'm gone!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.