• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 stops responding after starting a scan. Am I infected with Virus?

I found last week that my Norton 360 was not running. When I opened it it would show a blank window and when right-clicking on the icon or start menu button a blank menu comes up which seems to only be a small box.
After uninstalling and reinstalling Norton 360 I am able to run scans and do everything correctly except when downloading updates, since I have to restart my computer to finish installation for the updates, upon restarting Norton 360 runs correctly but when I try to run a scan, the program goes to 'not responding' and does not respond, ever.
If I close Norton 360 after this my windows menu stops working and I cannot open any applications.

The virus basically prevents Norton from updating and running which is extremely annoying.
I am currently running an online scan and will post the results when the scan is finished.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

<<edit: subject edited for more clarity>>

Message Edited by JerryM on 11-02-2009 05:25 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 stops responding after starting a scan. Am I infected with Virus?

Welcome to the Norton Community

whitefamily wrote:
I found last week that my Norton 360 was not running. When I opened it it would show a blank window and when right-clicking on the icon or start menu button a blank menu comes up which seems to only be a small box.
After uninstalling and reinstalling Norton 360 I am able to run scans and do everything correctly except when downloading updates, since I have to restart my computer to finish installation for the updates, upon restarting Norton 360 runs correctly but when I try to run a scan, the program goes to 'not responding' and does not respond, ever.
If I close Norton 360 after this my windows menu stops working and I cannot open any applications.

The virus basically prevents Norton from updating and running which is extremely annoying.
I am currently running an online scan and will post the results when the scan is finished.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

HI whitefamily

After you have run an on-line scan please try a scan with malwarebytes as a secondary check.

Please go to www.malwarebytes.org

1. Download Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) free version and save it on your Desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as “default” only
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
5. Click “Finish.” The programme will run automatically and you will be prompt to update the programme before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly choosing a "full scan".
7. When scanning is finished click on “Show Results”
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked with a check mark, click on "Remove Selected".
9. Restart your computer.

Please post the logs back to this thread using "add attachments" below the orange "post" button.

Note: Some malware may prevent mbam-setup.exe from downloading and/or running. You can download and rename this program from a different computer before running it on an infected system.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 stops responding after starting a scan. Am I infected with Virus?

Hi Whitefamily,

Let us know the version of Norton 360 you use(you can find it from Help & Support > About) and the operating system you have. Also, let us know whether you used the Norton Removal Tool for uninstation of Norton program. I would suggest you to download and run the appropriate .exe file for your Norton program from the following link(to update latest virus definitions):

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95

The reboot your computer to Safe Mode and run a Full System Scan using Norton program. Let us know the results after that.

Yogesh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.