• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 is too slow to back up. In 24 hours it has completed a little more than 6%.

I have had the product for many months now and have still not successfully backed up my computer.  It continues to run but in 24 hours it has only completed about 6%.  I have Windows 10.

Labels: Performance

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 is too slow to back up. In 24 hours it has completed a little more than 6%.

Hello Sally. Where is the location you are backing up to? To cloud storage or on a local (attached to the computer) hard drive? If to your cloud storage set the bandwidth throttle in settings as appropriate.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 / build 16299.98 / NSBU 22.11.2.7 Traditional / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 is too slow to back up. In 24 hours it has completed a little more than 6%.

I am backing up to cloud, I believe.  It is wherever Norton software sends it.  And that, too, is a problem.  I don't understand what you mean by, "bandwidth throttle in settings as appropriate."  There just isn't enough information for someone who isn't an IT professional.

Kudos0

Sally, you are correct that the default backup location is to "Secure Online Storage" as seen in my screenshot. Also in the screenshot there is a slider next to "Bandwidth Throttle". Just make sure its all the way to the right and fastest appears. You can find these settings by opening your Norton system tray icon on your desktop. Click it once and the main Norton screen will appear. Next, near the top is the word "Settings", click that next. The settings window will appear, find the word there named "Backup Settings" and click. You can now make the adjustment to your backup on the screen in front of you.

Also if you are doing this on a computer connected wirelessly things will be a lot slower than being on a computer with a wired connection. Keep in mind as well the speed your internet company is providing you as that makes a difference in your upload speeds when sending files.

The amount of data contained in the backup set can also be a problem. If you are backing up the entire contents of your hard drive you MAY not have enough storage with the default 29GB Norton provides with your subscription. You MAY need to purchase additional space.

Let us know if this helps you.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 / build 16299.98 / NSBU 22.11.2.7 Traditional / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

The two biggest factors are the total size of the files being backed up and your internet upload speed.  Most internet connections are asymmetrical, with upload speeds being significantly slower than download speeds.  Uploading a lot of data can take a considerable amount of time.

Kudos0

Hello Sally, just following up since there hasn't been a reply of late. How have you made out with your issue? Have you contacted support or need the info to do that? Support can be reached here:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/contact-phone 

or

http://norton.com/chat

Please let us know how we can assist further.

Cheers

Kudos0

Will second peoples opinions. Many factors go into backing up files. If your upload speed is 4mbps or even 12mbps, and you want to upload 25gb's.... That might take a while, especially if it is a laptop/wireless connection or generally unstable connections. Additionally, some ISP's for whatever reason tend to throttle the speeds. Make sure you are actually getting your full upload, otherwise contact them for any potential issues. 

Kudos0

Sally another thing that comes to my mind is whether you have Windows 10 backup enabled by default. That would definitely conflict things. Here is how to disable it or at the very least determine whether it is enabled.

Follow these steps:

Typing 'service.msc' into Cortana takes you to the "Services (local)' page. Scrolling down to "Windows Backup", and clicking, you will be presented with a "Stop the Service" selection. Clicking you can change the entry in the 'Startup Type' column from "Running" to "Manual" or "Disabled".

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.