• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 v.2 & Manic Hard Drive mania!

Hi, I have Norton 360 v.2 with Windows Vista sp1 (64bit) with 8gb ram/ Intel Quad processor.  I've noticed every once in awhile it causes my hard drives to go completely whacko continuously spinning like it is scanning for HOURS on end preventing me to do any real work on my computer without very slow delays.  In the windows task manager/processes....it shows ccSvcHst.exe *32 --Symantec Service Framework as taking up to 50% of the cpu processor...I've tried 'ending the process' but it just starts back up again. 

The norton 360 window doesn't show it is scanning for virus' or anything.  It is completely annoying as it prevents me from doing any work on my computer since the hard drive just constantly spins doing whatever the symantec service framework thing is doing. I'm seriously considering taking this off my computer (I've had it since version 1).

I'm not 100% sure about this and I don't know if there is really any correlation...but I sometimes notice it getting into this loop after awaking from sleep mode.....again I'm not entirely sure if they are related though.

Any help, enlightenment, suggestions?

Thank you in advance!!  :)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 v.2 & Manic Hard Drive mania!

Hi, I have Norton 360 v.2 with Windows Vista sp1 (64bit) with 8gb ram/ Intel Quad processor.  I've noticed every once in awhile it causes my hard drives to go completely whacko continuously spinning like it is scanning for HOURS on end preventing me to do any real work on my computer without very slow delays.  In the windows task manager/processes....it shows ccSvcHst.exe *32 --Symantec Service Framework as taking up to 50% of the cpu processor...I've tried 'ending the process' but it just starts back up again. 

The norton 360 window doesn't show it is scanning for virus' or anything.  It is completely annoying as it prevents me from doing any work on my computer since the hard drive just constantly spins doing whatever the symantec service framework thing is doing. I'm seriously considering taking this off my computer (I've had it since version 1).

I'm not 100% sure about this and I don't know if there is really any correlation...but I sometimes notice it getting into this loop after awaking from sleep mode.....again I'm not entirely sure if they are related though.

Any help, enlightenment, suggestions?

Thank you in advance!!  :)

Kudos0

Did you install the 'widget' yet? I installed the widget, and set my scans to 'weekly'. 

Kudos0

by 'widget' are you referring to the 2.1 add-on pack?
Kudos0

the widget link can be found on one of my threads. also, i am still having the same problems as you with the 'constant scanning' thing..please let me know what you've found out regarding this (setting scans to manual doesn't seem to help any more) it seems to do as it pleases..
Kudos0

I wonder if this might the same problem that I've seen in N360 V1. The symptom looks similar, at least superficially. Except, in my case, the problem disappeared when I upgraded to V2.

The problem I was seeing was something to do with background cleanup. There are 4 files called CUsomething.log (CU for cleanup?) in c:\program files\norton 360\log: CUInternetPageViewHistory.log, CUInternetSearchHistory.log, CUInternetTempFiles.log, CUWindowsTempFiles.log. When the N360 background cleanup engine went into its manic state, I could see it continuously writing to one of these log files. The log file wouldn't keep growing because the cleanup engine limits its size to 4 MB. But you could see its time stamp being updated.

So look at these log files. If you see one of them whose last modification time is constantly being updated to the current time of day, you are seeing my problem.

Kudos0

Well, have any of you tried the Live Chat feature on support?

I did last night, tired of the HD churning on my Vista (upgraded last summer) machine since installing 360V2 about a week ago.

After a brief wait, I got a nice guy (Indian I presume?) named Dillip who had me check some things like MSCONFIG, most notably run SERVICES.MSC, where I found the Symantec Core LC (whatever that is) process was in manual start not automatic, and COM HOST also hadn't started (I've had "COM Service stopped working" errors on startup on occasion since the Vista upgrade, thing still runs reliably well) - turned those both to automatic, and today, knock on wood, so far no churn!

I haven't had 100 percent success with Live Chats, but in this case was surely worth the time invested (and no $!;-)

Barney Lerten--Bend, Oregon

Kudos0

And, of course, now the hard drive is churning again. Maybe has to do with the start-up message I get about every other time that COM surrogate has stopped working. MS help no help, fixes offered elsewhere haven't done it so far. sigh, argh.
Kudos0

Hi BarneyL,

I would recommend contacting our support team again, and let them know the entire situation. (that you've contacted them before, that it was workig fine for a while, etc.) Thanks!

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I did, and while I got dropped from that tech, then got another, who logged into my PC, removed some temp files and, when I told him the thrashing had stopped as soon as he logged in (you know, the old 'drive the car to a shop and the noise stops' deal) he said it was a hardware problem not related to Norton. I logged off in frustration, went to PC Pitstop and ran some tests, got a new video driver, upgraded to Vista SP1, and .. anyway, the thrashing has stopped.

I did a whole segment on-air about it. Go to http://www.ktvz.com, click "About Us" and "Leave it to Barney."

It's stuff like this that make computer owners stark raving mad;-)

But if Norton behaves, I'll stay with it. But boy will I be nervous about the next upgrade! They seem to always give me grief;-/

Thanks-Barney Lerten, Bend, Oregon

Kudos0

Please let us know if this crops up again. I'm glad the issue is resolved for you.
Kudos0

Well, I never count my chickens, which is fortunate, cuz after Norton "repaired" its settings this AM (and did a backup etc. despite my telling it to only do it weekly, on the weekend), the HD churning and thrashing started up again after two days of a blissfully quiet PC. At this very moment, it SEEMS to be stopping, about 90 minutes after the "repair," but if it starts up again I'll need to "fix" the "fix." Sigh.
Kudos0

Yes, Tony, it's thrashing again. After two days of quiet as a mouse PC, Norton 360 V2 decided last night to update itself, and "fix" my settings. Now, after losing the "Com Surrogate not working" error message on startup for the 2-3 days things were working right, that error message is back, and the HD thrashing is back as well. (And, as usual, NOTHING ELSE has changed. It IS your software!)

I shudder to go through another live chat, spend an hour fumbling and be told it's a hardware problem.

It's a Norton 360 upgrade problem!

I'm a paid-up subscriber, but if you guys can't fix this, I'll have to switch programs, again. This is ridiculous.

Barney

Kudos0

I swear, my computer is alive - or psychic.

I post that note, venting, go away for a few for dinner, come back and... the PC is quiet. (After, oh, 45 mins. or so of churning.)

Oyy.... a yoyo roller coaster!;-/

Kudos0

Yes, I was hoping a Symantec Tech would pop on here and let us know what a fix would be by now.  The same thing occurs with my computer....it will be fine for a few days and then out of nowhere it will do EXACTLY what was stated in my original first post, rendering my computer virtually useless for work for SEVERAL HOURS (it may be longer for mine due to a larger hard drive)....not only is it keeping me from working in a timely manner (a simple 'save file' that takes seconds took about 15mins...'shutting down' windows takes almost 30mins!!!) but I can't imagine all that constant spinning to be very healthy for the physical hard drives with all that wear and tear of whatever it's doing nonstop!!  ....And as mentioned in the original post everytime I try 'ending the process' in the task manager it just starts back up again in a few seconds....even if I shut down the computer fully and boot back up, whatever the 'symantec framework' process is doing still occurs from bootup so there is literally NO ESCAPING the constant hard drive thrashing until it finishes whatever it is doing.  This is absolutely ludicrous!

Apparently it doesn't have anything to do with the 'waking' from sleep mode as I had walked away from my computer leaving it up for about 45mins and when I came back ....away it went with its spinning! 

This is really really bad news, can a tech from Norton please address this issue?  My wife's subscription to Norton had expired about 3 days ago and there is NO way she is going to resubscribe with this kind of nonsense and if there isn't a fix soon it is definitely coming off my computer.

Kudos0

hi horton - i've seen a few posts elsewhere mentioning some extreme HDD and CPU utilization. in several cases, it's been narrowed to the add-on pack. if you have it installed, i'd recommend uninstalling (for testing purposes at least) it to see if the problem resolves. i'd be interested in understanding what your power settings are, in light of the observation about having walked away for 45 minutes and then having it spin up.

mel 

Kudos0

hi barney - i was just mentioning to Horton that i've seen quite a few of these issues being linked to the add-on pack. can you confirm that the problem (assuming it will return) occurs when the add-on pack is not installed?

mel 

Kudos0

Unless it's something auto-installed, I haven't installed any add-on pack, so ... that rules that out, right? I'd say I'm getting churning about half the time and not the other half (or maybe a bit more, like 2/3 1/3). It really had gone away for a couple-3 days until Norton "fixed" its settings a couple days ago. Aggravating, huh?;-/
Kudos0

Greetings MelodicWynd!

I have definitely not added the addon pack...and oddly enough it has occured tonight again (2 nights in a row) AND it apparently has occured when, again, I didn't put the computer in sleep mode but just let it stay on....(the latest internet explorer and photoshop were still active and up)....and sure enough after dinner I came back to the computer and it was in the middle of its spinfest....I ALSO noticed something new this time in the task manager next to the symantecframework listing (aside from the major cpu usage) was that the 'memory' usage was massivelysteadily increasing...by the time I got back to the computer after leaving it about an hour it was up to 99,000k....when I 'ended the process' it started up again at about 5000k and quickly began increasing again thereafter....and I attempted to stop it a few more times with the same occurence. 

Hope this info can help shed any light?

Kudos0

Hmmm...interesting....I did check the Vista 'power plans' which I've never done before and it was set on 'balanced'....I've since upped it to 'high performance' and see if that does anything.  (crosses fingers)

Kudos0

Wow, Horton, we have a similar disease but your symptoms are worse - 30 min. shutdown? Mine's ludicrous too, about 10 mins., and while it slows my work during the churn, it doesn't make it unsable, just a pain in the arse. (FYI, mine's a 2 1/2 yo HP MediaCenter PC m7167c bought from Costco.) I used to run McAfee, then THEIR "upgrade" sucked up ALL the bandwidth (this was a few years ago) so I uninstalled and got Norton (which I'd had problems with years ago but with 360 v1 had been pretty nice;-)

So tired of "upgrades" causing problems - I did a dangerous in-place upgrade from XP to Vista last summer and it went pretty well, considering. I do a twice-weekly TV segment here in Bend, Oregon, so I have a special place to carefully vent about things;-)

Nice to meetcha, lousy reason to do so huh?;-)

Kudos0

Hello BarneyL, horton and mel,

Thanks for your combined efforts in illuminating the problems you're encountering with system slow downs. I have sent you each an off-line email in response for how to gather up some critical data that will help us isolate the problem.

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

I too, had the problem of spontaneous AntiVirus scans starting despite having set all the scans to "manual" with N360 v 2.

WinXP Pro SP2

Twin Xeon CPU 3.06GHz co-processors

1.00 GB RAM

The PC is used primarily as a video editing workstation, so scans self-initiating were unacceptable. I had upgraded from NSystemWorks 2006 and might revert to SysWorks over 360 v2 if the problem persists. The problem is temporarily solved after the following series of events:

1. Contacted Symantec support, live-chat session with senior technician, deleted some temp files. Problem persisted.
  2. 2nd live-chat with senior technician, he checked MSCONFIG, SERVICES.MSC and downloaded the most recent version of the anti-virus scanning engine. Did another full system scan and reboot. In addition, the technician had downloaded the Norton Removal Tool and advised to use this to uninstall and remove all Norton files if problem persists. Problem persisted.
  3. Ran Norton Removal Tool, reinstalled N360 v 2.
  4. Set all scans to "manual."
  5. Problem appears solved.

HOWEVER, with all the scan settings on "manual," an AntiVirus scan did "initiate on its own," but for only about two minutes, nothing like the constant churning that ocurred before.

Scan Stats:
Scan Time: 97 seconds
Counts:
Total items scanned: 3,986
- Files & Directories: 977
- Registry Entries: 342
- Processes & Start-up Items: 2,533
- Network & Browser Items: 117
- Other: 17
Total security risks detected: 0
Total items resolved: 0
Total items that require attention: 0

My question is, does N360 v2 initiate a certain AntiVirus scan, although brief -- regardless of the "manual" settings?

Kudos0

Spontaneous full scan initiated itself again, constant churn problem came back in full swing.  Have abandoned a resolution, have completely uninstalled N360 v2 and returned for full refund.

Disappointing and certainly not the support I expected from Symantec after many years of multiple installations of their products.

360?  More like "0;" afterall, both values share the same location on the coordinate system the marketing types named the product after.    

Kudos0

My family is also having this same problem.  My wife's laptop has crashed 3 times and I had to wax the hardrive and reinstall everything.  I spend more time fixing my Norton 360 than working as it is either a total slug or Noton 360 encounters an error and locks up my internet access so I can't get on line to even fix the problem.  I have not upgraded and have version 1.3.2.4 until now I did not know there was a revison.  I have been on the phone with tech about 4 times, they have taken control and fixed the issue twice? Not!

I have have done the complete removal and reinstall 4 times.  I have always used Norton products and never had an issue with Norton Internet Security Suite.  My laptop has never had a lapse of not having Norton protecting it as when I upgraded to 360 my subscription was still good for a few months.laptop and

aNow just now it is a slug again I am typing faster than my laptop can keep up.  I use this thing to run my business and it is now useless.  5 days on the road and I could only get on to check orders the last day of the trip.

The little research I have done today I see there are many issues with this product.  Symantec needs to fix the issues ASAP or give us a refund for this junk software that we were all suckers to buy.  Not good business my time is very valuble and I am fed up with fixing a program that should run in the background without any intervention from me..  Sorry for the crappy typing but I am tired of trying to go back and fix the erros from my abilty to type faster than my computer.  What a frigging joke!!

Kudos0

Hello whipplexciigt,

I'm truly sorry to learn of the problems you are encountering with Norton 360 V1 and appreciate the level of frustration it has caused. I'd like to clarify a few issues before making a recommendation:

1. You indicated that your wife's laptop crashed 3 times. Was this related to a problem with the program, or was it unrelated to problems you later experienced following a reinstall?
  2. Can you verify the following:
    1. What is your Operating System and service pack?
    2. Do you have the Add-On pack installed?
    3. Do you have the text of any error message that 360 has produced that we could use to help isolate the problem?
    4. Are you currently using a different computer than your wife's that is also experiencing the same problems?

I apologize for not having a solution for you based on the current information I see, but I believe that upgrading to V2 would be a logical first step. There is no cost and a significant number of issues that persist with V1 were resolved in V2. The upgrade for an entitled subscription is free, so except for the investment of your time, there is no cost to you. You can download it here.

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

Hello Matt,

q1. Windowns XP SP2

q2. No addons as I idd not konw there was any until today

q3 Most popular is "Norton 360 has encountered an error and must close", or I get the dreded red x that takes about 30min to get rid of

q4 We have two identical laptops Sony Vaios we have had Norton since they came with it installed.  No problems unitl installing Norton 360.  My wife's crashes hard and I have to wax the hardrive.  Mine is just a total slug 80% of the time.  As it is right now as I try and type and can't see what I am typing becauase it does not show up right away.  Makes it kinda hard to work.  I have scans all set to manual so nothhing should be running right?

I had no idea there was an upgrade unitl today.  No techs have mentioned it so until I saw it on this site I was clueless.  I clicked on the link earlier today and started the download.  It then stopped several times as it kept saying I had no internet connection. I gave up trying to it to download.  I get the same error when trying to use the support link and 360 trys to get me to change my internet settings, but I am already online and can receive email or open a web page??

Sorry I am so frustrated but I spend many hours per week fighting with 360.  I have never had a program act like this before. 

I am also now getting an "error" message when I try and do a live update.  It is also frustrating that 360 never tells you what is wrong just Error.

Lee

Kudos0

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the details, I think they will be helpful. If I read this correctly, both computers had another Norton product installed prior to the upgrade to Norton 360. 

In looking over your description, I believe we may be looking at two distinct problems - one being excessive HDD/CPU activity and the other being connectivity.

For the HDD/CPU issue, I'd like you try running AutoFix, which is part of One Click Support. Simply click on the Help and Support link in the main program window and choose "Begin". Let me know how that goes for that part of the problem.

On the intermittant connectivity, try the tool listed in the following document:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norton360.nsf/docid/2006113022291475 

Matt 

Kudos0

Relocating this post by JohnnyBoy to a thread of its own. Click link to follow.
    Kudos0

Any progress on this issue?  I too am suffering from serious CPU/HDD activity, ccSvcHst.exe is taking all of my new computers resources. I had a fresh install of Vista with service pack 1, and thought to play it safe and this time buy a "real" virus/firewall package and went for Norton 360, because of the good reviews it got in the magazines..  The first day it was all fine, but now after 4 days, everytime I leave my computer for a few minutes, Norton (ccSvcHst.exe) has stolen all the resources, and my hard drive is spinning like crazy, and I can't stop it anyway. (other than to boot the computer) This is driving me nuts, I can't do any work or enjoy my new computer. 

Short system specs:

Intel Pentium 2Duo  E8400  3 GHz

Memory 3 Gb 

Windows Vista Home Premium (service pack 1)

Norton 360 v.2  

Kudos0

Janne404 wrote:

Any progress on this issue?  I too am suffering from serious CPU/HDD activity...The first day it was all fine, but now after 4 days, everytime I leave my computer for a few minutes, Norton (ccSvcHst.exe) has stolen all the resources, and my hard drive is spinning like crazy, and I can't stop it anyway...

Have you tried the above suggestion from Matt? What were the results?

Kudos0

Contacted support on monday, and they suggested trying to re-install, i did and it helped for almost two days, but now the problem is back. After a short period off from my computer, and when I come back, My vista resource monitor is showing that ccSvcHst.exe is contstantly accessing my files non stop, and there's no way to stop it. My computer is totally useless unless I boot it up.

the autoFix thing doesn't report anything broken.  Side note: I noticed that there's supposed to be a little info box saying the background scan is on and off popping up, when you don't use your computer, and then come back.  it was there for few times, but now that the problem is back, it's gone and it won't show no matter what. The background scan just goes on and on.

Kudos0

Hello,

I am experiancing the same (or similar) problems others like you are having.  That is, unscheduled scans - even with settings on manual, and extreme hard drive usage bringing my system to a standstill.  Have contacted support many times in reference to the problem with 0 success.  The area where each of the techs have looked is in the Services list where they either change the Com and Symantec services from manual to automatic or from automatic to manual.  In each instance I'm assurred the problem is fixed but it isn't. 

I've sent two letters of complaint but even those have met with no response.

You may be interested to see other threads in this 360 forum that describe what I believe is the same problem and which the Moderator - Tony - states a fix is coming and has marked the thread as "Solved".  So either the fix isn't working or hasn't been released yet.  One such thread is "Norton 360 v2.0 - BUG Incorrect Task Scheduler Screen".

What you find when searching for a solution (because Symantec support has been of no help) you discover this isn't a rare event and is happening to a lot of people who have upgraded to 360.  And from all I can find, there is no solution yet.

Tony, would you or someone from development please advise if or when the fix you stated in the mentioned thread will be released?

Kudos0

Hello Jane,

The problem you described is believed to be covered in the latest update. Can you run LUALL from the command line until you're sure that there are no further updates available and let us know if that resolves it?

There is also a larger thread here where this issue is being tracked.

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

Hi Everyone,

We've recently issued a new LiveUpdate patch for N360.  You should now be on version 2.3.1.4. Hopefully, this resolves some of the issues you might be experiencing.

Mark 

Kudos0

Yep, knock on wood, recent patches seem to have quieted the HD thrashing. Scans take less time, I come back to the PC and it says "scans complete." Now if I can figure out how to navigate the "renew your product within 30 days" daily pop-ups AND the upcoming auto-renewal conflict (I don't want to pay twice - or nonce!) - I'll be fine.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.