• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 v3, RESTORE started then crashed

I had a hard time getting 360 to even start the restore from my external hard drive, finally got it started using the arestore.exe file trick. Suddenly it stopped working, froze, had to reboot. Now all the backup files look like gibberish, I don't mean they are encrypted, I mean GIBBERISH! Like weird symbols and signs, few numbers, and they are not recognizable by windows or norton. Anyone come across this? About half my files restored, I still need the rest. HELP?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 v3, RESTORE started then crashed

I had a hard time getting 360 to even start the restore from my external hard drive, finally got it started using the arestore.exe file trick. Suddenly it stopped working, froze, had to reboot. Now all the backup files look like gibberish, I don't mean they are encrypted, I mean GIBBERISH! Like weird symbols and signs, few numbers, and they are not recognizable by windows or norton. Anyone come across this? About half my files restored, I still need the rest. HELP?
Kudos0

Did a search and came up with this post which may be related to your problem.

Don't know if this Link will be any use.

Maybe the bit about copying 'ARestore.loc' to the root directory of your 'Back-Up Drive' may be of use.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=Norton_360&message.id=10935

Also, if you cannot retrieve your backup from your ext. drive, have you got any 'up-to-date' backups on your Internal drives

Look in

'Norton Window  --  put cursor over'Backup' and select Restore Files  --  in No.1 click View All.

Message Edited by boneidle on 30-12-2009 12:13 PM
Kudos0

What type of external hard drive are you using?  I have an LG and I am having the EXACT same problem.  Any similarities in hardware?

Raw Data
Kudos0

I used arestore to get the amount I have, it crashed about half way through the restore and now won't do anything, the files aren't numbers anymore they are gibberish.
Kudos0

A western digital and I have never had a problem with it, it still has all the files from my old computer on it... and what is left of the norton backup file.
Kudos0

Where are you seeing this gibberish?  How are you accessing it?

Can you paste some of it on here?  

Raw Data
Kudos0

I completely agree after reading about all the troubles people are having with it. A few years ago I tried a Norton backup that came with my virus program and I had to take the computer to my computer builder friend to get it working again. Something I have never had to do before. Last time I use a Norton backup and I have told my 2,000 or so friends on facebook not to use it.
Kudos0

How big is your backup set? multiple gigabytes?

Arestore.exe does a brute force restore.  It peeks in every file, reads its type and rewrites it to a destination of your choice.  For a very large backup set this may appear to have frozen. 

I ran a restore from an external USB drive, with a backup set of about 60GB, and it took several hours to restore.  While it was running, the tool appeared to be doing nothing, but the hard drive was pegged pretty hard.

I recommend you try again.  Have patience.

-Joel

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.