• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360v5 will NOT complete online back up - HELP

Working on a Windows XP machine with approx. 50GB of data to back up and approx 116GB available space on the hard drive.  After two disasterous attempts at backing up to external harddrives (both of which experienced catastrophic failures making it impossible to back up the computer or retrieve previously backed up data), I thought a secure online server would be a safer option.  Unfortunately, I may never know since I cannot get the darned back up to execute successfully.

I have 100GB of online storage. I first tried backing up all 50GB with NOBU, but it failed multiple times.  So, I uninstalled NOBU and tried using the onboard backup to secure online storage through Norton 360.  Same result.  I have tried deleting back up sets and recreating new ones.  No luck. I even tried making several smaller back up sets (ie, separate sets for photos, docs, contacts, etc.) thinking it was size issue and I could have them run separately on different days.  Still no luck.

So, right now, have 50GB worth of vulnerable data, no back up and no way to back it up with the software, service and storage space I have paid good money for.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360v5 will NOT complete online back up - HELP

Working on a Windows XP machine with approx. 50GB of data to back up and approx 116GB available space on the hard drive.  After two disasterous attempts at backing up to external harddrives (both of which experienced catastrophic failures making it impossible to back up the computer or retrieve previously backed up data), I thought a secure online server would be a safer option.  Unfortunately, I may never know since I cannot get the darned back up to execute successfully.

I have 100GB of online storage. I first tried backing up all 50GB with NOBU, but it failed multiple times.  So, I uninstalled NOBU and tried using the onboard backup to secure online storage through Norton 360.  Same result.  I have tried deleting back up sets and recreating new ones.  No luck. I even tried making several smaller back up sets (ie, separate sets for photos, docs, contacts, etc.) thinking it was size issue and I could have them run separately on different days.  Still no luck.

So, right now, have 50GB worth of vulnerable data, no back up and no way to back it up with the software, service and storage space I have paid good money for.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Kudos0

Hello

You're leaving out quite a bit of key information. How precisely did the online backup attempts fail? What errors did you encounter? Keep in mind the more detail you provide the better we can help you sort out the issue. 

Kudos0

The failure(s) consistented of hours of scanning the data to be backed up, then hours of supposedly transferring the back up data, then suddenly stopping as though completed, only to show in the log back up status as "failed to back up".  One time I had it set to restart the computer upon completion.  The computer backed up, but the log still registered a failure to back up.  On only one occassion did I recieve an actual error message. I do not recall the error number, but it referenced a problem with the server.

Thank you for your help.

Kudos0

There are also advanced log files support can collect when these types of errors surface. If the software is still in place we may still be able to collect them. It's a good chance there is a logicial reason for the failures. Please reach out to support at https://www.norton.com/chat and they can help gather the logs and submit a trouble ticket for further review. 

You can also find the logs directly in a location such as this one in Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\N360_5.0.0.125\Backup

The file called onlinebackup.log is the one that will contain more info as to the specific errors. You should be able to do a search for that filename too as long as you have it also search hidden files and folders.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.