• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton AV 2009 wont' start

I have Norton AV 2009. Several days ago, I had a brief message that Norton had detected and removed a virus. Before I shut down my computer, I ran the live update as usual. Everything appeared to be fine.  But, the next day when I turned on my computer, Norton did not load in the tray.  I clicked on the Icon on my desktop and nothing happened except I was sent to the Norton Support site.  After two days of emails between the support desk, I still can’t get Norton to start.  I’ve done everything suggested many times.  I have uninstalled Norton by downloading the removal tool and reinstalling with the download file.  I have also uninstalled using Norton and reinstalling off the CD and then downloading the new signature files.  When I reinstall using the download file from Norton, I don’t get the Icon to start.  But, if I reinstall using my CD, I do get the Icon, however, when I restart my computer, the Icon disappears even though the service is running (I’ve manually restarted the service but nothing happens).   

I’ve been able to run a full scan with Norton after I reinstall from my CDand after downloading the new signatures and no viruses have been detected.  I ran Microsoft malware and nothing was found. I have cleaned all of the temp files as suggested.  I have restarted the services and reinstalled Norton by disabling the services first.  I’ve done a search that included hidden files and removed all files related to Norton and Symantec. 

Here is another piece of information.  When I reinstall Norton AV, it seems to hang on the screen where the services are installed (the sceen says it should take less than 10 seconds). I almost think that Norton didn’t fully install.   I’m running Windows XP and I get no error messages during install, removal or when Norton fails to start.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton AV 2009 wont' start

Hi Auditor722:

Let's rule out malware as the cause.

Please run a SysProt log for us so we can check your system for rootkit activity. You will need to disable Norton auto-protect while you run the scan.

Once it is downloaded to your desktop, right click on the SysProt icon, go to properties, and click unblock and apply.

Choose log, check all the boxes except show hidden objects only and scan.

You will be able to post the log here using the "add attachments" link just below the orange post button.

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~crutches/SysProt

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

I've run the scan as you requested.  Another thing I've disovered. I've gone into the Norton AV files directory and when I click on the.exe files (i.e., help, network monitor), this actually brings up screens (help, network status) but the ones that actually start the program and bring up the main screens don't work (i.e WSCStub.exe.)  Also, according to Microsoft Security "Norton reports it is up to date and virus scanning is on"  Thaks.
File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Welcome back, Auditor722. Please be patient and wait for delphinium or Quads to evaluate your SysProt logs and tell you how to proceed.
Kudos0

The older TDSS Rootkit

Quads 

Kudos0

Auditor722:

Quads will return with tools and instructions to remove the TDSS from your system.  Time zones contribute to delays.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi

One thing your log doesn't show the files system, So I can't add individual files to the script

IF you have Spybot S&D uninstall it 

During the restarts with Avenger if Your PC has a Startup repair center like with HP and Toshiba tell it to start Normally if it kicks in.

I am unsure if Avenger will be able to get the other 2 files and service we will soon find out. Some of the script is just to check what should be gone

1. Download Avenger to your desktop,

Unzipped version http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~crutches/Avenger/

OR Creators website http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/avenger2/avenger2.html with zipped version to the unzip to desktop 

2. Click to run "Avenger.exe"  (right click "Run as Administrator" if using Vista)

3. In the "Input script here:" copy and paste the script between the lines

Drivers to disable:

TDSSserv.sys

Drivers to delete:

TDSSserv.sys

Files to delete:

C:\Autorun.inf

D:\Autorun.inf

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSpqlt.sys

Registry keys to delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TDSS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet005\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet006\Services\TDSSserv.sys 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet007\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet008\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet009\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet010\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet011\Services\TDSSserv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet012\Services\TDSSserv.sys

Here is a screenshot (script updated since shot)

Make sure the "Automatically disable any rootkits found" is NOT selected

4. Click "Execute"

You will be asked to restart the PC click "Yes", when the PC restarts the load screen will takes slightly longer, then when it looks as though windows is loading the PC will restart again.

Then when Windows fully loads the Avenger log will be loaded, showing files it could or could not find. You can post the log back on the forum

5. Restart the PC again, then see if you can install, Update the definitions and run a Full Scan with  Malwarebytes  http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Quads 

Message Edited by Quads on 08-10-2009 12:36 PM
Kudos0

I ran Avenger.exe.  The first time I ran it, it gave me a message before retarting to the effect 'can't find cleanup.exe'.  It didn't create a log file, not sure why. Everything else worked as you described. So, I ran malwarebytes (quick scan).  It found 16 'infections'. (That file is attached. I removed those.  I then ran the Avenger.exe again.  It found none. (That file is attached).  Next, I uninstalled Norton and reinstalled from CD, and downloaded the updates.  Norton appeared fine. I ran a scan before rebooting.  The scan found no infections.  Then, I rebooted my computer.  Again, Norton did not appear in my 'tray' or start-up when I clicked on the Icon. I also re-ran SysProt.exe again.  That file is attached as well.  So the problem continues.

I know this is a lot of work for you and I really appreciate your efforts.  Anything else I can provide to help figure out wha't wrong with Norton?

Kudos0

Auditor722:

It is important to follow directions and not get carried away.  Some of the tools Quads provides should not be used twice.  One note

of interest in your SysProt log is that the  version of Nortan Antivirus is outdated.  The version # should be 16.5.0.134 or 135.  Yours is 16.0.0.125.  Once you are clean, we will give you instructions for downloading the latest version .

Quads did mention that there may be other files that he might need to do something about.  Please wait for him.

Kudos0

Hi

It looks as though even though Avenger could not finish with the log first time it grabbed the files, so it came up empty second time around.

Please Run a FULL Scan with Malwarebytes updated again.

Then Uninstall the old build of NAV 2009,  

Then use the Norton Removal Tool

use it twice then download and install the latest build of  NAV  which is indeed 16.5.0.134 or 135

Quads 

Kudos0

The link for the latest version is here
Kudos0

Still no luck.  Here's what I did.  I updated Malwarebytes as suggested.  I ran a full scan but after 54 minutes it stopped and nothing appeared to be happening (the lights that indicate hard drive activity was on but not flickering). But, I waited 15 minutes since the scan had slowed when it got to the installer files. Since there was still no movement. I then clicked on pause.  I got a message that that the program was not responding so I stopped the program using task manager - that took several tries.  I was able to write down the two key points  I saw in the scan:

There is an infection in SystemVolume\information\_restore { what was in brackets I could get written down because it was so long and the scan was moving very quickly at this point}.  The scan stopped at C:\windows\installer\e5817.msp.

But, I continued with the rest of your instructions to run the Norton Removal Tool (which I had downloaded before I ran the Malwarebytes scan).  I ran the removal tool twice like was suggested.  I then downloaded NAV from the Norton Website.  When I installed NAV, it seemed to hang up at the very end of the installation.  This has been the pattern since this problem started. NAV still doesn't work.

Kudos0

Auditor722:

can you run another SysProt for us to look at?  If you open MBAM and click on the log tab, was it able to produce a log?

You can also try Superantispyware 

www.superantispyware.com 

Kudos0

NAV still doesn't work. I uninstalled NAV (what I loaded previously) using the Norton Removal tool (twice) like before.  I downloaded Superantispyware and ran a full scan with no problems. It detected 6 tracking cookies and TDSS file.  I removed the infections.  I also cleaned the temp files using the run command.  I also unistalled the Superantispyware because I wasn't sure it would conflict with NAV or not.  I installed the NAV file from the Norton website but it wouldn't completely install (just like before).  I get the icon on the desktop but not in the tray and the icon on the desktop doesn't start NAV.  I reinstalled Superantispyware and ran another full scan. There were no infections.  I created another sysProt log.

Because I couldn't run MBAM to the end successfully last night, I only have the log from the quck scan from before. I've attached  this log. 

Again,  I really appreciate you helping me.

Kudos0

Hi

In the Administrative Tools, Services, In that list check to make sure that Norton is set to Automatic and enabled.

Quads 

Kudos0

When you check the Norton service in the services console, make sure that Terminal service is also started. If not, please start it and set it to Automatic.

Vineeth--

Message Edited by Vineeth on 08-13-2009 12:58 PM
Kudos0

I checked the Administrative Tools, Services and  made sure the settings were what you suggested.  I did notice a couple of things.  The first failure = restart, the second failure = restart, subsequent failures = take no action.  Retart service after 2 minutes.  The dependencies is RPC.  I checked the services and noticed this is set to started. The RPC locator is set to manual  but not started.  Not sure if there is a connection there or not.  I didn't want to mess any of this since I'm not sure what it does.   I tried to the start terminal services but it gave me an error message that the specified services couldn't be found. I am using a standalone PC. 

By the way, I ran the malawarebytes software one more time.  This time it completed the full scan!!  It found one more infection - adware.gdown.  I removed it successfully.  Again I couldn't load NAV from the website and stalled.  I uninstalled (twice) and tried to load off the CD.  It loaded, I updated the files, restarted, and it didn't work again.  This is so strange that I can install other software such as Malwarebytes and Avenger and they work fine.

Kudos0

Hi

I wonder if you have the sort of problem as this poster with Norton Not starting.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=65102

In the end having to install while in safe mode, don't know if they used the removal tool in safe mode first.

Quads 

Kudos0

I couldn't restart in safe mode.  It gave me an error message. I can never get the new version from the website to load from the site or from my desktop.  It always hangs on the last screen of the setup.  I am able to load off of my CD and download files and install  NAV on my computer.  Unfortunately, on the restart, NAV disappears from the tray and the NAV ICON only allows me to run a desktop scan, use the help function, and connect to the Norton website.  So parts of NAV works, which is strange.  I can't remember how many times I've uninstalled and re-installed NAV.

Also, I noticed that running ccleaner for the registry was recommended by someone else and resulted in getting NAV to work.  I was nervous about running a tool like this, but at this point, I was ready to reinstall the OS. I ran that tool, followed the instructions and found lots of 'fixes' including remnants of Norton and Symantec.  I fixed everything but still no luck with NAV.  By the way, my computer seems to start up quicker and better. 

Each time before I've reinstalled, I run the Norton Remover Tool 2 (the last time 3 times). I ran MalwareBytes (full scan) and found no malware several times.  I even un-installed this software before my last re-install.  I contacted Norton Support but after 8 days, they provided nothing but the basic information on the help website.  Could this be a bug with NAV?  I noticed alot of views of my problem.  As I said, it all started with a live update. Before that, NAV worked fine.  I really appreciate all of the help you and Delphinium have provided me.  Is there anything else to try? 

Kudos0

Auditor722:

Have you still got Webroot washer on your system.  I'm wondering if Norton has some sort of objection to Webroot files.  The settings for the RPC locator are correct for XP.

Also, what was the error message when you tried to go into safe mode.

You can also try this in case of a Windows setting error.

XP

Start | Run

sfc / scannow and enter

Windows will now scan your protected system files (and some settings) and restore them to their proper settings.

Kudos0

Delphinium, 

I ran the command you suggestes sfc /scannow.  After it completed, the window closed and I had no messages.  I uninstall NAV twice using the remover tool.  I changed the settings of window washer to not load on start.  By the way, when I loaded NAV 2009 the first time, window washer was already installed.  I then installed NAV (off my CD because I can't get the file from the website to run). I then restarted the computer and the NAV icon disappeared.  I opened window washer.  I installed and ran hijack this.  The log is attached.  Maybe that will help figure out what is going on.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Auditor722:

The only thing I can see that can possibly be causing the problem is Webroot.  I don't entirely see why that should be.  A few other people are having a similar problem that do not have a Webroot product on their machine.  Often the  Webroot coding in their software conflicts with Norton, but it is usually Spysweeper that is the issue.

What I would do in your place, is uninstall Webroot, run the Norton Removal tool again to take the older version off, and try again to install the most recent version, in safe mode.

Ccleaner is often recommended in place of Webroot Washer.

I can't guarantee that it will solve the problem. That is what I would try if it was my machine.  Your call.

Kudos0

No luck.  I uninstalled Window Washer and removed Norton again.  I cleaned everthing with CCleaner and restarted. I installed the new version of NAV2009 in safe mode.  NAV2009 actually installed quickly and didn't stall at the end like it had been. But, it doesn't work - same proble.  I ran another Hijack log.  I don't think there would be any malware on my computer because the only place I've gone on the Internet is to this site in the last week. To think, this whole problem started with a live update - something I did so often. 

I really appreciate you help over the last week.  I'm not sure what's left to do and I don't like not having AV software on my PC. 

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

I just installed Malwarebytes and ran another scan.  No malware.
Kudos0

Auditor722:

I've added you to my list of users that I have asked Symantec staff members to assist.  If you can hang on a bit longer until tomorrow when everyone is back to work, hopefully they can help out.

In the meantime this is an interesting solution for one user who had installation problems.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=27854#M27854

If you have Windows updates on automatic you might have .NET 3.5  or the Windows installer 4.5.  I also run XP but I have started limiting Windows updates to XP level and avoided the Vista level updates. There have been some users with difficulties with .NET 3.5 on XP.  Are you running Home or Pro version?

Kudos0

This was another solution to the problem.  It seems there can be several reasons for an installation failure.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=45624#M45624

Your logs show service pack level 2.  It would be much better to update your XP to SP3.  The newer software does require the security protocol changes, driver changes, and bug fixes of the latest service packs.

Kudos0

I will wait until I hear back from you.  I will think about updating to SP3, I know several people who had problems when they did that though.  Maybe their problems were related to the Vista updates or what they had on their computer. 

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi Auditor722:

I run XP Home on my machine with Service pack 3.  For a couple of reasons, usually to do with my doing something unforgiveable to my system, I have had to start over and run through the update process.  I have never had any problems with the move to service pack 3.  I think there is a greater chance of problems if you stay at service pack 2 and continue to apply the Microsoft updates, as they are going to be created for the 3'rd SP.  I keep the .NET framework at version 2 rather than going to the 3.5 that was developed for Vista and I have not installed the latest 4.5 installer.

I didn't lose any programs with the update to SP 3 and some of them are quite elderly.  I don't think you will have any trouble with the update.

This link will take you to where you can read an overview of SP 3 and get the download for it, as well as .NET 2 and

.NET sp 1. At least it will give you the opportunity to make an informed decision.

Kudos0

Well, I tried to install SP3 and got almost all of the way done and then it gave me an 'access denied' message.  Luckily, I had no problems rebooting.  Prior to the installation of SP3, I un-installed the spyware software and Norton, and also checked to make sure these services weren't running.  I was downloading the 'slimmed' down version of SP3 as the MicroSoft site suggested.

After the SP3 installation failed, I checked the MicroSoft site for the error I had and there is some information about what I should do to fix this problem and allow me to try another reinstall.  By the way, when I tried to install SP3, I didn't close Internet Explorer because I downloaded the update.  Was I supposed to close Internet Explorer?  Any suggestions about progams that could impact the install?

I will keep you posted.  I'm probably not going to be working on this for 4 or 5 days because of my schedule.

Kudos0

I think there is an issue on your system that is causing a problem with both installations.  We will have to look into the system to find it.  Both should have installed without problems.  Come back when you have time and I will request further assistance.
Kudos0

Message moved to a thread of its own for better exposure
Kudos0

Auditor722 -

Please remove the Microsoft webcam from your system and see if that helps the situation.  Alo can you dun a new HiJackThis log as I would like to see the current running functions now; there are some that need to be fixed.  Thank you.

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

My problem is solved.  I purchased another vendor's AV software two days ago and it loaded and updated without any problems.  As I suspected it was NAV, which makes sense since the live updates caused the problems.  

As an FYI, the reason SP3 did not install was because of a known problem with the automatic upload from Microsoft.  A solution is to download and install from the desktop, or to update the registry file permissions.  A friend of mine had the same problem when trying to upgrade to SP3 and the install from the desktop worked.   I intend to upgrade to SP3 soon, but at this point, there is not the sense of urgency that I had. The solution is at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

I appreciate all of your assistance in this problem and the advice on tools to keep my computer running better.

Kudos0

Best wishes Auditor722. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.