• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Bootable Recovery Tool 2016.1.1.25 is now available

Hi all,

I followed the instructions in the email advising the above release and downloaded the massive (875MB) file.

I then tried to follow the instructions on this page: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v72380755_End...

It requires me to right click on the downloaded ISO file and select Burn disc image, then:

In the Windows Disc Image Burner, select the DVD drive.

In my case, before I got to that stage, I received a request to download "Express Burn Disk Burning Software", which I did.  When I then went through the right-click process again, I was offered Express Burn, which I accepted. 

I can't see a link to Windows Disc Image Burner.

I selected Data DVD and hit Burn.  The process seemed to go OK  but I then saw an error message after closing then finalising.  I attach links to the screen caps of the error message and the contents of the DVD.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kucj8j2phr6p6pt/DVD%20Contents.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4f6lcd3egx4vkk4/Error.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, please?

Ian

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Bootable Recovery Tool 2016.1.1.25 is now available

When burning a bootable ISO image, you should not have to choose a burn type. A data DVD would just store the files, but would not be bootable.

I'm not sure why you would have seen the request to download the Express Burn Disk software. Windows should have just gone to the built in burning feature.  What version of Windows are you using?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding.  I run Windows 7.

I've uninstalled the new software and hit right-click again.  This time I got this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dviz6j8zqcjy859/Open%20with.jpg?dl=0

Ian

EDIT:  I thought I'd better check that I do have DVD copying software and this may be the source of the problem (options for autoplay for blank DVD).  Which option should I use?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tass4qq05uewif/Instructions.jpg?dl=0

Ian

Kudos0

I went to my Win 7 machine and tested this. Right click on the ISO and click on Open With. Then you will see the option for the Windows Disc Image Burner. That should create the bootable disc for you.

Kudos0

Hi Peter,

It's not there on my system, at least not visible.  I'll have to do a search.  I'll report back.

Thanks again,

Ian

Kudos0

Hi again Peter,

It appears I'm not the first to "lose" the Windows Disc Image Burner!  I found this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/d532f9a3-f4a8-4...

and followed the instructions of "Teckmaster", just a few posts down, and was able to activate the software.  I used it to generate the DVD and here's what it produced:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcmyqehcjqq9d60/Success.jpg?dl=0

which looks just like the aborted one, except I didn't get the error message.  I'll report back when I've tried id out using the instructions provided for "Run a scan ...".

Ian

Kudos0

Hi again,

Latest - I ran the "Run a scan ..." routine.  The DVD drive wasn't identified as such, just as a SATA address, which I selected, and was relieved to see that the Norton tool was recognised. 

Unfortunately, that was as good as it got.  I wasn't asked to confirm the language, nor to accept the T&C.  There was just the Scan Now button, which I hit.  The screen went blank, there was a short burst of action on the DVD drive, then the computer stopped dead apart from the cooling fan.  I left it 2 hours and then powered it down.  It restarted OK.

Ian

Kudos0

The disk I made worked correctly for me. Are you rebooting your computer with the DVD in the drive and booting from that?

Kudos0

Yes, Peter.  I need to hit F11 to get the boot options on my PC.  As I reported above, I was not offered a DVD drive as such, just three options, one of which had to be the DVD, as the other two were identifable as my main and back up SSDs.

When I get a minute, I'll try again after a full system shutdown.

Ian

Kudos0

Hi again Peter,

Tried again with the same result: the Norton BRT home screen, an initial burst of activity on the DVD drive, a blank screen, then nothing.  Pressing the PC start/stop button shuts it down and a normal restart follows. 

I think I'll give this one a miss.

Thanks anyway,

Ian

Kudos0

Are you using UEFI bootup on your system BIOS? If so, try going into the BIOS and setting it to Legacy Boot. Then try the NBRT.

Be sure you reset to UEFI after running NBRT or your system will not start.

Kudos0

Hi Peter,

I'm now getting to the point of going beyond my skill level and am likely to more harm than good.  I'll see if I can get  a photo of the start up options and revert, but am not sure it's worth taking it any further.

Thanks again,

Ian

Kudos0

I too am having problems. I clicked on Download; nbrt was shown as having downloaded and opening it shows this

I've no idea Peter how I can Right click on the ISO and click on Open With.

This happened the last time I tried to install it and I gave up. I run Macrium on the 1st of each month so do I need NBRT?

PS I noticed the Norton Power Eraser under Rescue Tools when dealing with this problem. The description of it is

Eliminates deeply embedded and difficult-to-detect crimeware that traditional virus scanning doesn’t always detect.

Do I need this as well as my Norton Security? It is strange to me that one Norton product is advertised as "eliminating crimeware that traditional virus scanning doesn't always pick up" i.e.it is virtually saying that the main Norton Security isn't doing what I've always thought it does - or am I missing something?

Win10 Home v1803 build 17134.345/HP envy/EDGE (rubbish)/IE11 (RIP)11.285.17134.0/ OFFICE 365 Home Personal/Norton Security
Kudos0

Norton Power Eraser, NPE, is a very powerful tool that can leave your system unbootable if you allow it to delete everything it finds. It can sometimes flag system files, and if you delete those, Windows may not boot.

For the right click not showing the Open With, try holding the Shift key while right clicking on the .iso file.

Kudos0

Happy New Year Peter and thanks for your comments - I'll give Norton Power Eraser a miss. Unsafe in my hands.

And I'm now strongly inclined to uninstall Norton Bootable Recovery Tool. I was unable to run Macrium yesterday and my This PC now shows new devices:

It can't be a co-incidence that I can't run Macrium so how do I remove NBRT? It's not showing in Revo.

And if I uninstall it will the Norton Backup Drive go as well s the DVD Drive E entry and the Local Disk Drive Z entry?

Win10 Home v1803 build 17134.345/HP envy/EDGE (rubbish)/IE11 (RIP)11.285.17134.0/ OFFICE 365 Home Personal/Norton Security
Kudos0

or is the Norton Backup Drive in fact nothing to do with NBRT? I ask because when I came back to my laptop just now there was a message that 'Norton has performed a back-up task and when I checked this is what I found:

Edited at 12.31 to remove personal details from the snip! Amended snip to follow.

*** Edited at 12.37 to attach amended snip:

When I renewed my Norton it was at the time of great changes to the range of Norton products and at first my new version had the description 'with backup' but it then changed to what you see in my signature.

So perhaps this Backup isn't anything to do with NBRT?

*** 2 days into a new year and I'm losing the plot already!

Kudos0

The backup drive is connected to the Norton Backup feature of your Norton Security. Nothing to do with NBRT.

If you want to uninstall NBRT Wizard, you can click on the Start button and scroll down to Norton Bootable Recovery Tool and there is an uninstall option available when you click the NBRT. Or you should be able to use Control Panel - Programs to uninstall.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.