• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Bootable Recovery Tool won't start on Lenovo Ideapad 320 8th gen Intel Core I5

I am trying to run NBRT (downloaded ISO file and burned to a DVD yesterday, 02/16/2019) on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 15IKB Touch, with an Intel Core i5-8250U CPU, but immediately after the Boot menu, I receive a message "CPU family 6 model 142 warning this hardware has not undergone testing by Red Hat ... "

then an error message BUG: soft lockup CPU#0 stuck for 64s!
[swapper:1] ... keeps repeating apparently forever

It doesn't make a difference if I select Boot or Boot (Basic video) in the menu

In order to boot from the DVD, I have changed BIOS settings to Boot mode: Legacy Support and Boot priority: Legacy First, as well as put EFI first in the boot sequence. With these settings, Secure Boot does not appear at all under the Security tab in BIOS settings (InsydeH2O Setup utility rev 5.0)

A thread from almost a year ago concerning the same issue (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/recovery-disk-hangs-start-red-hat...) suggested to turn off hyperthreading - tried that (in msconfig) but did not make any difference.

I tried Norton Chat Support, they claimed that NBRT IS compatible with 8th-gen Intel Core CPUs and that NBRT not starting is caused by an issue (malware?) on the Ideapad. Is that likely, though, since NBRT boots from the DVD, which was burned on a non-infected PC? (I was able to scan the Ideapad with Kaspersky Rescue Disk 18, which didn't find any malware, but would like to use NBRT as well for a second opinion.)

Any ideas for how to get NBRT to work on the Ideapad 320 would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Bootable Recovery Tool won't start on Lenovo Ideapad 320 8th gen Intel Core I5

Has anyone been able to run NBRT successfully on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 (or any other computer with an 8th-gen Intel Core CPU) ? What did you do to make it work?

Thank you!

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Bootable Recovery Tool won't start on Lenovo Ideapad 320 8th gen Intel Core I5

Let's see if we can get employee @symc_Holt to give us an update on the fix to the Red Hat detection of the CPU. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed description Lena. We are gathering more details and will be looking into a solution.

We need to update the kernel at the very least and that will take some time. ETA not available.

I know that isn't a great answer, but that is where we are right now.

Jeff

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.