• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Family and Firefox 24.0

Hi. I used Norton Family for a while, but encountered problems when updating Firefox to version 24.0. Firefox won't even start and so I had to uninstall Norton Family from my computer (OS: Windows 8 64-bit). Why this is happening? I'd like to continue with Norton Family. Thank you in advance.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Family and Firefox 24.0

Hi Sepe,

The latest version of Norton Family 2.9.0.21 supports Firefox 24.0.  Can you please reinstall Norton Family on the PC to see if you are still experiencing the issue.  If yes, please let me know and we will work together to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi,

The latest version of Norton Family, 2.9.21, really supports Firefox 24.0, but on my Windows 7 laptop when you try to close firefox itself, using the FILE menu option and/or simply trying to close the window, it hangs EVERY TIME

Using perfmon, and right-clicking "analyze waiting chain" on the hanged process, NF.exe turns out to be the culprit

if you uninstall safety minder, or you successfully disable the extension within firefox, all returns to normal, and firefox closes flawlessly

reinstalling firefox and/or safety minder does not solve

hope you fix it soon

thanks

Kudos0

Hi gliver,

Thanks for the information.  I've reported this to the team for further investigation.   I will keep you updated as soon as I get any news on this.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi and thank you. I reistalled Norton Family, as you suggested, but without help. The problem is, the process "firefox.exe" starts (it shows in the task manager), but nothing else happens. The browser won't start properly. I tried to disable NF but the problem still remains. So I had to to uninstall NF again.

Kudos0

Hi Sepe,

Thanks for the update.  Our team is able to reproduce the issue and currently working on this.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Thanks Katie,

I'll keep an eye on the forum for a solution and/or updates of the Safety Minder plugin

I have another problem to report about Firefox and Safety Minder, a problem that has been present at least from FF22 and its matching Safety Minder version:

you open up FF and browse OK

you close FF and all seems OK

BUT, if you open up the task manager, firefox.exe still appears in the process list, and it's "unkillable"

it's no big thing, but it's annoying

I noticed this 'cause CCleaner couldn't clean FF cache and always asked to terminate it (unsuccessfully)

The problem is not only of my own laptop (Win7 HOME x64), I saw the same on 2 other laptop (another Win7 HOME x64, and a Win7 Starter x32)

bye

Kudos0

I have had similar problems in past week on FF23 and FF24.  I find it rather amazing that Norton says that FF24 works with NFS but then when a user reports a problem you say you can recreate it almost immediately?  Sounds like you don't have a great testing plan...  My challenge is that this is now the second time in 12 months I have had to remove NFS from my two PCs in order to allow browsing to even work.  I really want to look at the Premier offering (especially now that it has got good reviews from PC Pro in the UK) but these experiences really put me off.  So some detail from my issue.

Firefox can be started but when you try to close it, it hangs and no other Internet browser can then work (IE or Chrome).  Also on one of the PCs I got strange message in Internet Explorer "A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer" "This program will open outside of Protected mode..." and the program is Firefox.exe - very weird to see this in IE!

Finally - perhaps not related I find that the time limits simply do not work on one PC - and the Internet Pluggins often report as having been disabled but I have no idea how.  All in all I am disappointed customer with cash waiting to spend on the best solution.  Screenshot uploaded below.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hello,

I am encountering the exact same problem. Firefox browser does not open when Norton Family is installed.

I am really concerned to see such issues as I was also thinking about the possibility to subscribe to Premier.

Please keep me updated.

Kudos0

Hey folks, this is not just a Firefox issue, it is also a Chrome issue.  I have two win 7 x64 machines and one win 8 x64 machine.  I finally had to uninstall Norton Family in order to simply access the internet.  It seemed to not only be causing problems with firefox and chrome but with internet access in general.  this happened after two updates that occurred a couple days ago.  

I still have one computer that will not allow any browser access to the internet and since it won't allow any access I can't even uninstall Norton Family since it can't connect to Norton to confirm my credentials.  for the other two machines, once I uninstalled Norton Family all was well.  

Sloppy work Norton!  This isn't the first time you have made a major goof like this one.  

Kudos0

It's not just Firefox and chrome, it's windows explorer altogether. I couldn't open my documents, mail, music etc
I did a complete system restore and the problem reoccurred as soon as I reinstalled norton family
I should have known NOF was the culprit as it has been messed up so much in the past.
What I wild like to see is an option to choose to update NOF...if I had have known it was problematic I would choose motto download it.
This is the last straw, I'm uninstalling and buying a new product
Kudos0

Believe it or not, I just got through grappling with this issue over on this thread:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Firefox-24-still-crashes-when-the-NIS-toolbar-is-enabled/m-p/1026115/highlight/false#M13863

On my XP Professional system, right after the recent Norton Online Family (NOF) update, in addition to what I documented in the link above, My Documents folder would "hang" for at least a minute before it would open!

Kudos0

Hello subfam2,

If you tried re-starting, because that would give (me at least) temporary Internet access before I completely un-installed Norton Online Family, you may just desire to utilise the Norton Removal Tool available at: norton.com/nrt

Regards,

H.B. 

Kudos0

Hi All,

Thanks for the information.  We are currently checking into the issue.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Having spent a wasted evening trying to fix two kid's windows 7 laptops, I'd like to add my voice and express my dissaisfaction at this issue. I can confirm that Norton Family 2.9.0.21 and Firefox 24.0 do not play well together under Windows 7. Firefox hangs on exit unless NF is uninstalled. I am also receiving many messages saying my kids disabled the NF browser plugin, but I am very sure they are not capable of doing that, so the messages are a result of program failure. NF & Firefox have had more than their fair share of problems over the years. Please, Katie Q and your team - I appreciate you are already on the case, but please fix these issues urgently, otherwise I will have to waste even more time looking for an alternative package to protect my family. And that will likely mean saying goodbye to six NIS subscriptions.

Kudos1 Stats

Try qustodio, it works pretty well...I have used it in the past when NOF want working...I installed it now, doesn't mess up your system
Kudos0

Thanks adgarner11!

since NOF problems started with FF24 my children's laptops have been badly shielded and I was searching for an alternative

I think I'll give qustodio a try this evening

It's sad to say, because I really like NOF, but the problems with FF are really becoming endemic and extremely slow to fix: when FF23 was published it was weeks before I could safely upgrade with the right plugins, and now this with FF24 ...

I have even noticed that uninstalling NOF results in a 15-20% overall perfomance gain, even noticeable on unmonitored accounts where NOF should do nothing!

-Gliver

Kudos0

qustodio also has a safe browser for iOS, sign in and the same rules you create for pc apply to the ipod tocuh/iphone/ipad...I may splurge on the premium version

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks adgamer11 for the Qustodio tip

I reached the conclusion that Norton Family is unfit for purpose, so Norton family is now uninstalled from all three of my kid's PCs. Qustodio installed no problems. It doesn't have a browser plugin that can be disabled in Firefox, so that's one less thing to go wrong ( I was receiving daily NF browser plugin disabled emails, even though the kids don't know how to do that). Qustodio has similar account management to Norton's and it was easy to set up. Firefox now shuts down without crashing, and Google images now works correctly in safe mode without always displaying a blank page. The kids are happy and so am I, now that my work is done fixing this annoying problem.

Some free customer insight for Symantec's product managers and marketing department: Norton Family was the main reason I have chosen to install Norton Internet Security on my six home PCs for many years. I have been using the free version of NF,  and I'm sure my blood pressure would have been considerably higher right now if I was using the premium paid-for version. So now that I am no longer using Norton Family, when the NIS subscription renewals are due, I'll probably choose a lower cost antivirus and security solution.

Kudos0

Thanks for the suggestion.  That is what I did on my Win 7 machines and did exactly that - gave me a small window in which I could access the internet and uninstall Norton Family.  However, on the Win 8 machine it wouldn't.  I rebooted a number of times with no success.  To this day it does not allow access to the internet so I can't uninstall Norton Family and will have to run the Norton Uninstall tool to remove everything including my 360.  Maybe it's time to see what else is out there again.  

thanks-

Kudos0

I had to reformat my whole hard disk....it was only when I reinstalled NOF that I realized it was that that caused the PC to not work....what a pain
Kudos0

I found that the Norton Removal Tool does not remove Norton Family. You have to uninstall through Windows control panel programs and features (or add/remove programs in XP), at least that's the case for Windows 7. Can't speak for 8 - having tried using it I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. For the NF uninstaller to run you need an internet connection so your NF account login can be authenticated. This is presumably to prevent your kids from uninstalling it. If NF finds itself unable to connect to the server over the internet then the uninstaller won't run and you'll be stuck until you either fix the internet blockage or wipe the PC (ouch!). The kids web browsining is much less glitchy now that Qustodio has replaced NF.

Kudos0

Interesting....  I remember, in the past, a version of the NRT that was able to remove Norton's parental controls....  Unless that removal tool was for older versions of Norton's parental controls and is not for the newer release?  Hmmm....

Kudos0

Maybe try removing NOF in Safe Mode with Networking....?

Kudos0

luggerbugs,

I also started using Qustodio around 6 months ago when NF was down for a few weeks with no prospect of it being sorted. Up to a few weeks ago it was working fine on 2 PCs for me.

However - following the recent upgrade to NIS and Office in September, I found that Qustodio was stopping Outlook 2010 working

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Outlook-2010-and-NIS-Upgrade/m-p/1025399#M245505

I'd be interested if you have found the same. I've had to un-install Qustodio (also not error free) and I tried installing NF again but immediately regretted it due to the issues with Firefox 24. I went back to 23.0.1 but that didn't help either - so now I've uninstalled NF again. Looking for something else now untill I can get Qustodio to play.

Windows 7 64bit, Office 2010, latest NIS.

Thanks,

Andrew

Kudos0

My problem is that when Norton Family is installed, my Firefox 24.0 browser hangs when I try to exit, so I have uninstalled Norton Family (using Windows program removal) for the time being.  I would very much like to reinstall NF as soon as possible.  I tried reinstalling NF using the latest download and running LiveUpdate and the works, but to no avail.  I updated my NIS to the latest version and the whole nine yards.  I have Windows 7 32-bit.

Alice in Illinois
Kudos0

Welcome to the club ajramsayjaneway

I was one of the first to point up your problem almost three weeks ago, and there's still no sign of a resolution from Symantec as of now

Of the 3 laptops in my family, only 1 works flawlessy, with an un-upgraded FF23 and the latest NOF (2.9.021): I don't know what's different, I just let it be and hope for the better, because it's the only PC from which my children can surf the internet, since on the other 2 I unistalled NOF and disabled their accounts ...

Qustodio seems quite a good alternative: I'm testing it and there's no plugin to stop upgrading FF

Kudos0

Hi,

Thanks for your patience.  The team is working on the issue.  We will release an update as soon as it's ready.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Just to confirm that I was having the same issue as other people in this thread, I had to uninstall NF to fix the problem. Otherwise FF-24 almost always hang when exiting. Given the comments here, I also decided to give Qustodio a try and so far it looks OK. Having problems like this will cost Norton customers and makes the forum an advertisement for a competitors solution !!!!

Kudos0

Katie,

Any news about this problem?

Kudos0

Hi,

The Norton Family team has released an update 2.9.0.26 via Automatic LiveUpdate.  We believe we have resolved the internet connectivity issue.  You will be asked to reboot your machine when the update is available to your machine via the LiveUpdate.  Please retest and let us know if you are still experiencing the issue.

Thanks for your patience,

The Norton Family Team

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Well,

as I had said in a previous post, of the 3 laptops in my family only 1 works flawlessy, the one with an un-upgraded FF23 and the latest NOF (2.9.021), while on the other 2 I had to unistall NOF and disable my children accounts

After reading you post, I went to that surviving one, verified that NOF 2.9.0.26 had already installed, and upgraded to FF24:

within 2 minutes from launch FF24 had already hanged and was in a "not responding" state

by the book, firefox.exe process was unkillable and ccleaner could not act on its cache

you know what? I uninstalled NOF and replaced it with Qustodio, enought is enought

I'm really, really sorry, but after more than 15 days, we can't really be again at the starting point AND with my last functional laptop for the children now KO ...

-Gliver

Kudos0

Hi gliver,

Thanks for the update.  We will continue to check into the issue.  For now, please use Internet Explorer or Chrome as browser.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

I have this issue with all IE, Chrome and Firefox.  I got the 2.9.0.26 update on Win7 Home 32, but not on my Win7 Ultimate 64.  The 2.9.0.26 still has the same problem with IE and Firefox for me.  Note: Norton Family is on version 26, but the signatures are on version 21 still.

Kudos0

Update:

I do know have the ver 26 update on Win7 Pro 64 bit.  I said Win 7 Ult in my previous post, but I wrote the wrong one - I meant Win 7 Pro.  My Win7 Ult 64 bit I haven't checked yet - I don't want to reboot that one now.  I haven't tested it out to see if the problem is fixed on the Win7 Pro computer yet. 

Kudos0

Hi bplandrs,

Thanks for the update.  Can you please let us know what security products and versions you have on the PC that is still experiencing the internet connectivity issue?

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit

Norton Internet Security version 20.4.0.40

Norton Family 2.9.0.21

I decided to uninstall and reinstall Norton Family on this computer before I saw your message.  That's why it's back on version 21.  I reinstalled Norton Family, ran live update, rebooted, ran live update again and it still isn't updating Norton Family to 2.9.0.26 so I can't try it out again.

While I was uninstalling/reinstalling I discovered my network surge protector was flaky.  This was causing a major slowdown in speed.  My link speed was showing 1 Gbps, but it definitely was not that fast.  Instead of taking less than 1 minute to download the 15mb Norton Family, it was going to take at least 15 minutes and likely longer.  I replaced the bad surge protector.

I wonder if my incredibly slow connection may have contributed to the issue with Norton Family or any other browser extension (like Last Pass) couldn't do what it needed and locked up the browser.  I won't know until Norton Family decides to update on it's own.  I've run Norton Live Update several times, but it doesn't update Norton Family.

Kudos0

Hello again,

I don't know....  Suffice it to say, that I am reluctant to re-install NOF.  I am tempted to try back sometime in November, lol.  Unfortunately, I am still paying for the service in the meantime....  Regardless, should I attempt to re-install NOF?  I mean, IE 10 is no longer haphazardly crashing (like when NOF was installed) and G-Mail attachments are FINALLY working!  I hate to lose that.... 

Ms. Qiu, what do you think I should do?  I have a feeling that you would instruct me to re-install NOF and report back my findings....  However, I just r e a l l y don't want to do that....  I'm almost inclined to sit back and let Norton completely "iron this out" (so to speak) then swoop in when everything works   However, with this mentality, will Norton ever be able to effectively get to the bottom of this if no one is reporting their findings?  Decisions, decisions.  After battling confliction in my soul, I will probably re-install NOF....eventually....  (grumbles)   

Kudos0

I have tried using LiveUpdate and it says it installed 4 updates, but the NF version still says 2.9.0.21.  And I still have the problem.  When I install NF and enable the add-on in Firefox 24, then whenever I try exiting Firefox, it hangs and Windows asks me if I want to close it or wait.  IE works okay, as long as Firefox is sitting open, or completely closed, but not if Firefox is in its hung state.  IE opens and exits just fine, but I don't like to use it.

I am using Win7 32-bit.  I got the latest version of NIS.

I'll just uninstall NF, but I sure would like it to be working again.

Alice in Illinois
Kudos0

Today my computer updated to ver 26.  I tested it out and it still hangs in Firefox and IE.  Don't know if it helps, but I usually test by opening like 4 tabs and hit several sites in 1 or 2 of them.  When I was waiting to see if the processes were going to end on their own, I noticed that there is two nf.exe processes running.  One is running under my account, the other is running under SYSTEM.

Kudos0

Hi bplanders,

1.  The "security products" I mentioned in my previous post was referring to the products like Norton 360 or any other security products in the market.  Please let me know.

2. Are  you able to reproduce the internet connectivity issue consistently?  if so, I'll be glad to set up a remote session with you to check into the issue further.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi Hammer_Bro,

Thanks for the feedback.  I"ve worked with users with internet connectivity issue, but they are not able to reproduce the issue while I'm on the remotes session with them.  If you have the latest Norton Family 2.9.0.26 installed on the machine and are able to reproduce the issue, I'll be glad to setup a remote session, so we can check into the issue further.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi ajramsayjaneway,

The latest Norton Family 2.9.0.26 should be installed on your machine automatically (you should receive an message on the screen asking you to reboot the machine). 

If you haven't received the message yet, we are working on the release that allows users to download the latest version 2.9.0.26 on the machine manually from the Norton Family website.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Uh oh, uh oh!  The lovely Ms. Qiu responded to me….  That means I get anouther opportunity to confess my feelings and ask for her hand in marriage, LOL! 

Courted by numerous suitors, the stunning Ms. Qiu is the envy of all her co-workers.  In 2008, a meager year prior to joining this forum, she won the coveted Miss Philippines Earth title.  With sage intelligence and ravishing beauty, only time and her boundless imagination will tell what the future holds….      

To be honest, I think if it was anybody else, I wouldn’t care….  But, for you, even though I am exhausted from dealing with other computer frustrations, I will do my best to provide more information on this issue. 

Tonight, I can attest to the fact that I did not receive a prompt to install the latest Norton Family version - - even with a re-start.  Therefore, I still had to deal with the problematic version (2.9.0.21). 

I have a good idea of why (when you were working with people’s systems remotely) the symptoms could not be replicated.  It is because the Internet portal was actively engaged.  When I had remotely connected with a Norton/Symantec representative (sometime back) he could not see it either….  He was (at that time) lending preponderance to placing blame on Add-ons inherent with the N360 programme.  However, I systematically went through (one painstakingly at a time) and discovered that the issue (really) resided with Norton Family and only if the computer was “woken up” (so to speak) from a significant sleep time.  For example, if the computer was placed in sleep mode for say, one to two minutes, then woken up, everything was still fine.  Internet would connect.  However, if say the computer was in sleep mode for a longer duration of say 30 minutes, then woken up, that is when hanging Internet was evidenced.  And, I highly doubt, that in your remote sessions, you were able to wait 30 minutes with the customer for their computer to be taken out of sleep mode to test such a theory.  Yes, at least in my case, duration was key to this issue with respect to NOF version 2.9.0.21. 

As a matter of fact, I tested the theory again i.e., computer being asleep for a longer duration, then woken up, and Internet hung, NOF had to be un-installed in Safe Mode with Networking.  Keep in mind with this most recent testing, before I un-installed NOF on this system for the second time, and before the computer went to the longer duration of sleep, the Internet was working and I thought a key distinction was disabling NOF’s Browser Helper Object (BHO) in IE 10, because, initially, I did that, and it looked like things were fine.  For example, Internet connected and I was still able to upload an attachment in G-Mail.  I thought NOF’s BHO was the culprit and by keeping that “at bay” (so to speak) everything would be fine; my only concern (at that time) was, with that component disabled, would adult-oriented sites still be blocked?  The victory was short-lived, however.  Again, after the system was woken up from a sleep duration in the range of 30 minutes, even though I told IE 10 to not enable NOF’s BHO when prompted, the Internet hung!  This would then indicate, that regardless of NOF’s BHO, the mere presence of the Norton Family programme (2.9.0.21) is enough to quash Internet connectivity on a system after being woken up from a significant sleep duration. 

Love,

H.B.     

Kudos0

Katie,

1. I have Norton Internet Security 2013 (Norton Internet Security version 20.4.0.40) installed - that's the only security product.

2. I can reproduce it every time.  I can do a remote session if I happen to be online when you are.

Brian

Kudos0

Hi bplanders,

I've sent you a private message.  Please check it when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi Hammer_Bro,

Thank you very much for the update.  I've sent the steps to recreate the issue to the Norton Family team for further investigation.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi Ms. Qiu,

Thank you so much for passing the information along.  Sorry if I angered you with the section of my post that said you won the Miss Philippines contest.  The funny thing is, if you had entered, you probably would have won!  More importantly, with the manner in which you personally handle everyone’s concerns, I can tell that you have an inner beauty that far surpasses any superficial outer beauty.

Sincerely,

H.B.   

Kudos0

Katie,

Yesterday I tried installing NF and letting it stay and waiting for LiveUpdate to install 2.9.0.26.  As I waited -- and it never automatically installed, even when I ran LiveUpdate manually -- my computer got more and more unruly.  It was slowing down and I'm not sure exactly what was happening, but I just didn't want to spend the time to figure it out.  After I uninstalled NF, things went back to normal.

So I'll wait until I can install 2.9.0.26 directly, because running with 2.9.0.21 is a mess and it never automatically updates.  I have another computer that is on XP and it has automatically updated.  I haven't tried using Firefox on that computer, but I'll let you know.

Alice in Illinois
Kudos0

Hi ajramsayjaneway,

Thanks for the update.  The Norton Family team is working the update that allows users to download the latest version manually from the Norton Family website.  

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

I am having the same trouble as others have described here.  I have .26 version of NOF but still haveing problems.  I tried using IE instead of Firefox but similar issues occur with that browser.  Pleaes get this fixed ASAP. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.