• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Ghost 14 - A7C30019

I am performing a recovery on a brand new hard drive and it gets pretty far.  Maybe half way in (repeatable) I get the same error message:

A7C30019

Whenever I read about this error, people say that this ocurs when performing a backup.  Why is this happening when I am trying to do an actual recovery?  Is the backup image messed up?  Is the new drive (brand new) damaged?

More importantly, is there a work around?  I don't want to RMA the new drive incase there is data on it.  I think the bits are there (sicne the recovery does start and go for several hours) but the drive appears empty.

Would Ghost 15 be able to do a better job of recovering the files?  Can 15 be used with a 14 backup?

I'm fairly frustrated.  My kids pictures and movies are on this PC.  It's an older desktop but at the same time I already spent $120 on new drives.  I don't feel like buying a new PC over this.  But it might be my only option.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Ghost 14 - A7C30019

Hi kfh227,

Welcome to the forum. You are correct that this error is typically seen on backups and not restorals but let's see what we can do to get to the bottom of this and get it working for you.

What is your version of OS you are restoring with this image? Do you recall the size of the OS partition and any other partitions on your original drive? This includes any hidden partitions from the original drive, such as diagnostic or recovery patitions which are typically put on by the OEM manufacturer. Have you restored or attempted to restore any other partition on to this new drive? What was the physical size of the old drive and the new replacement drive? Did you format or partition the new drive prior to attempting to restore with Ghost? If so, what is the resulting partition layout? What are the restoral options you are using to restore your hard drive? Please include all options.

It is pretty rare for a new drive to be defective but it can happen. Let's perform two addtional checks for now.

1) From the recovery environment let's check the disk for errors. Go to Analyze > Check hard disk for errors. Let this check complete and let me know the results.

2) Verify your recovery point (backup image) - go to Analyze > Explore my Computer. Browse to your backup image and verify it. Let me know if it verifies successfully.

Thanks

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

I'll get more information up later.  For now, I'll answer as much as possible from the order asked.

What is your version of OS you are restoring with this image?

OS is Windows XP

Do you recall the size of the OS partition and any other partitions on your original drive? This includes any hidden partitions from the original drive, such as diagnostic or recovery patitions which are typically put on by the OEM manufacturer. Have you restored or attempted to restore any other partition on to this new drive? What was the physical size of the old drive and the new replacement drive?

The old drive that fialed was a 500 GB Western Digital.  The new drive is a 500 GB wetern digital (Same exact model I think).  It only had one partition (no manufacturer backup, etc).  I had the same failuire two years ago and recovery was a snap.  I don't knwo what is different now.

Initially, I tried to recover two hard drives even though one of them was still working simply so I could ge the image from the same exact point in time.  Without going into this to much, I have a desire to have drives from the same point in time.  So, a C and D drive were both being recovered simultaneously from their backup image files.  To make things simple, I actually bought two new hard drives that were both blank (a new data drive that is 160 GB to replace an old working 160 GB drive).  This gave me problems.  I am certain that the jumper settings (master/slave) on the new drive are set identically to the old setup.

Recovering two drives didn't work and gave me the same error.  I don't think the recovery ever got to the 160 GB drive.  At this point in time, I have tried repeatedly to simply recover the 500 GB drive.  Probably 5 times now using different options (Recereate MBR, etc).  The option always selected has been to make the drive a boot drive.

The next step at home for me is going to be to physicvally disconnet the 160 GB drive from the system to eliminate that as a potential issue

Did you format or partition the new drive prior to attempting to restore with Ghost? If so, what is the resulting partition layout? What are the restoral options you are using to restore your hard drive? Please include all options.

The drive was not formatted/partitioned prior to recovery.  I think Ghoset did format it for me though (NTFS).  Not partitioned at all unless I am missing something.

The option to resize the partition is not available.  repeated from above: I've tried probably 5 times now using different options (Recereate MBR, etc).  The option always selected has been to make the drive a boot drive.  One time, I know that I selected this option only in attempt to recover.  Right now IO am trying that setting along with recreate MBR.  This is actually running right now.  No failure yet but the failure usually takes several hours to occur.

1) From the recovery environment let's check the disk for errors. Go to Analyze > Check hard disk for errors. Let this check complete and let me know the results.

I'll do this later and get the results to you.

2) Verify your recovery point (backup image) - go to Analyze > Explore my Computer. Browse to your backup image and verify it. Let me know if it verifies successfully.

I havn't dug deep into it but I do see the contents of the root directory of the C drive when I do this.  Do you want me to dig around more and go several layers into some directories?

ME:

I have a funny feeling .... that this is getting close to completion and failing at hte very end for some reason.  Running out of space?  I don't see how sine the image is about 410 GB and the post-formatted drive is 466 GB.  There is plenty of headroom for the recovery to take place.

Something odd is occuring latelly,  It seems that it take logner for the recovery disk to boot than previously.  it seems to be scanning the new 500 GB drive for something (drive in use light is active) granted I have no idea what for.  It takes 15 minutes jsut ot get to the point where I agree to the liscense agreement.  It initially took about 2 or 3 minutes to get that far.

Is it possible that the 160 GB is being used isntead of the 500 GB drive due to some error?  The 410 GB iamge would fill the 160 GB drive and give a write error of some sort. (E7D1001E is also an error message that appears as part of the A7C30019 message.  It looks to be part of the A7C30019 message but if there is no carriage return it could be a second message?)

Sorry for spelling errors. 

Kudos0

While it is in my head.  The backup drive is 1 TB drive conencted via Firewire.  I could connect via USB if that might be a solution.  Firewire has better bandwidth so I left it that way.

Kudos0

Hi kfh227,

Thanks for the update. Typically if you are restoring to the same sized hard drive, you don't need to choose the resize option, however you can try it. To get the resize option during the restoral there is a page where you can select view by. You need to select filename from this list instead of date, otherwise the resize option won't appear.

As far as accessing the wrong drive to restore to. As long as you are sure you are selecting the right drive from the list, it should not get confused. However to eliminate the possibility then yes you can remove the 160GB drive to be sure.

Since you have attempted restoral several times and it never completed, I would recommend that you Delete all the drives which might show up on the physical 500GB drive. This should ensure that it is fresh and not formatted or partitioned as this is best when doing a restoral. You are correct that Ghost will take care of this for you. When you select view by filename as explained above, the option to resize during restoral should be there. If it is greyed out, it would be an indication that Ghost believes you have the drive partitioned already which is not good.

I'll look forward to updates after I get home from work tonight, running a bit late right now.

Thanks much

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Firewire should be fine.

Thanks

Allen

Kudos0

Is there a utility on the Recovery disk that would allow me to delete all drives on the 500 GB drive?  If so, could you tell me what steps to follow to do this.

Thanks!

Kudos0

OK, just got home myself :-) 

I am trying once again.

I have disconnected the 160 GB drive.  There is onyl the 500 GB installed right now.

I seleted the backup files using the file manager method that you mentioned.  By doing that, I saw what you meant by deleting the drive.  I did so and saw the message that said that it would  delete the drive when I select "Finish".  That makes sense.  So after setting the drive to be deleted, I then selected the 500 GB drive that is unallocated (I think it said unallocated and it might have said it was a 466 GB drive) as the target for the recovery.

The recovery point options selected this go round are "Set drive active (for booting OS)" and "restore MBR".  I am not going to resize the drive at all.

If all goes well, the recovery will work and i'll know that fact in the monring.  If not, it will fail in about 2 hours (midnight my time) if history repeats itself.

More inf o to come soon.  Does everything I say above make sense?

Kudos0

Once again, it failed.

I am running a utility on the recovery disk to find bad sectors on the drive where the backup is located.  Just to rule it out.

MIght just be a bad new hard drive which really irks me.

Kudos0

HI kfh227,

Thanks for the update. Doing a diagnostic on the new drive is warranted. As a further test you can also tell Ghost NOT do automatically verify upon restoring your backup image to the new drive. If this were to complete it would be a further indication that it is not reading back the correct data after restoring, which could point toward a flaky drive.

Did you also do a Verify of the backup image from the recovery CD? I suggested this earlier but you didn't confirm if you performed this step.

For restore options you should select:

Verify recovery point before restore - optional and takes longer if checked but a good precaution.

Check for file system errors after recovery - again optional

Resize restored drive - not optional if you want to have the extra HD space available to you after the restore.

Partition type - primary.

Set drive active for booting

Restore original disk signature - see also Chapter 14 in Ghost user guide.

Restore MBR - many times optional but should be checked to ensure the MBR is correct. Likely mandatory in Vista.  

The first two you can try without those to see if it allows the recovery to complete. Try them independantly. The Verify recovery point before restore option basically checks that the backup image is sound and the second one checks out the target drive. Again in your case the resize option could be skipped since you are restoring to an identical drive as the original. However if there is any doubt at all as to the physical size of the new drive compared to the old drive, you should select this option. Even if the original and new drive are exactly the same size, it never hurts to select this option.

I'll look forward to further update.

Thanks

Allen

Kudos0

I did browse the image and it seems to show some data.  I do need to dig deeper int oa few directories to make sure.

Doing a diagnostic on the new drive is warranted.

I tried this a few times via the recovery disk burt the new 500 GB drive never appears as a drive to do a diagnostic on.   Maybe I am doing soemthign wrong.  What steps do I need to do to ru na diagnostic o nteh new 500 GB drive?

I was told by a co-worker that Western Digital might have downloadable test programs available that boot from floppy or CD.  These programs do very low level diagnostics on the hard drive.  I'm at the western digital site now looking for them.

Kudos0

HI kfh227,

Thanks for the update. By verifying your recovery point from the recovery CD, does not mean manually checking for files being present in the backup. There is an option for doing an actual verify whereupon Ghost will completely check the integrity of the backup image.

To verify your recovery point please do as following:

1. Boot the the recovery CD

2. Click on the recover TAB on the left

3. Click on recover my files (I know you want to restore the whole disk, just stick with me).

4. Browse to the image you will be restoring in the File selector that pops up and open it.

5. In the left panel  click at the top level of the tree (which is the name of your image).

6. You can then either right click and choose verify recovery point, or choose verify from the menu bar at the top.

Doing diagnostics from the recovery CD now that I think about it some more probably does require the drive to be formatted first. Your best bet would be to use a diagnostic from the manufacturer website. Diagnostic utilities from them will always be better anyway. Let me know if you have trouble finding one and I'll do a search as well.

Thanks

Allen

Kudos0

I did the procedure you outlined (very well written by the way) and the image integrity test passed.

I'm going to use the Western Digital diagnostic disk now and see if it turns up anything.

Kudos0

I ran the Western Digital(WD) diagnostics.  No errors were found.

So, the image is 100% perfect from the test I did and the new 500 GB drive is perfect according to the WD diagnostics program.

I am currently wiping the WD drive and settign all bits to zero.

I did remember soemthing from the last backup attempt that I did not mention.  The error dialog covers up the progress bar for the restoration progress.  Normally, I hit OK on the error dialog and it closes itself and the parent dialog (the one with the progress bar).  But last time I moved the error dialog and uncovered the dialog with the progress bar.  I could see that the restoration made it to about 99%.  It almost looked like the data finished getting moved over but some sort of closing operation is failing at the end.  There was no text visible that says what the restoration step was.  I only saw a bar that seemed to be properly rendered to the screen.

This go around I am then going to switch the drive from Master to another jumper setting.  I forget what it is called but it has something to with cable select.  I am currently reading about hte WD jumper settings.  I might need to make a change since there is one drive right now.

Kudos0

Found burried at the Western Digital (WD) site:

Installing the new drive as the only drive in the system:
If you are connecting your drive as the only IDE device on the cable, then move the jumper shunt on the drive from pins 1 & 2 to pins 4 & 6. Once the jumpers have been configured, connect the drive to the black connector at the end of the cable.

This is the "single (neutral postion)".  It's a long shot but I figure at this point i have to try it.  Info:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=84&p_created=1005005461&p_sid=HmaynDWj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDAsNDAmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDgsMjk2JnBfY2F0cz0xMjMmcF9wdj0yLjI5NiZwX2N2PTEuMTIzJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

Kudos0

Play by play:

1) Selected "recover My Computer"

2) hit next

3) Found the two restore points by date.  Two exist.  Selecting the most recent (which is an incremental change to the other older of the two).  Hit next

4) Found unitialized partition.  This has never been asked at this point other than maybe my very first attempt.  This is the new 500 GB drive.  Ghost recovery says that it is a 466 GB drive which is not shocking to me.  It's location is "IDE Priamry master".  I checked thecheckbox and hit OK.  Antoher dialog that says "Write Partition Structures now?"  I said yes.  From a dry run of saying no, it is apparent that I pretty much have to say yes.  Progress bar appears and 5 seeconds later the opeation is done.

5) I have to choose teh recovery point to restore.  Choosing Filename of the .iv2i file  The drive is "Local Disk (C:).  Target drive is Disk 1, Unallocated.  The local disk (C:) refers to the external drive connected via Firewire.  Since the recovery drive is the C drive eventually, could this be a problem?  I don't see how but i figure a stupid question is a good one at this point.  I selected the row with the info mentioned and hit the "Change ..." button.

6) Hit next (this is just choosing the backup image file).  Select target drive.  By default, the 933 KB partition on drive 1 was selected.  Intresting...  I selected teh 466 GB NTFS partition instead.  There is also a 24 KB partition visible.  I'm assuing that these 3 partitions have to do with the "Write Partition Structures now?" part of this discussion.  Anyways, 466 GB NTFS partition is selected.  hit next.

7) The options ....

I did select "Verify recovery point ..."

I did select "Check for file system errors after recovery" at my discretion.

Resizing was not available (nor do I think I need to do this)

I did select to "Set Drive active" because of the manual that said  "You should select this option if you are restoring the drive on which your operating system is installed."

I did select "Restore original disk structure" since the manual said to do so if "You are restoring a recovery point to a blank hard drive."

I did select "Resotre MBR" since the manual said to do so if  "You are restoring a recovery point to a new, blank hard disk."

8) And I hit next after selecting the options in step (7) above.

9) WAHT THE ?  New error!  EC950015: The v2i file source drive and the destination drive cannot be the same.  (repreated twice in the dialog)

Posting now, trying to see if I messed up somewhere.

Kudos0

OK, how I am going about doing this:

1) Selecting the recovery point by filename instead of date above.  Hit next

2) Choosing disk 1, 466 GB drive (file system is unallocated), type primary.  This is the new 500 GB drive.  Next ...

3) Selecting all options as in above post except for the choice of resizing the drive.  It is not selected grayed out, I can read 476939 MB.  This is still the same setting as in the previous attempt above .... Next

4) Hit Finish, saying yes to verification dialog.

I might redo this procedure again if this doesn't work after doing a wipe of the WD drive vie the WD diagnostics disk.

Follow up to come soon.

Kudos0

kfh227 wrote:

5) I have to choose teh recovery point to restore.  Choosing Filename of the .iv2i file  The drive is "Local Disk (C:).  Target drive is Disk 1, Unallocated.  The local disk (C:) refers to the external drive connected via Firewire.  Since the recovery drive is the C drive eventually, could this be a problem?  I don't see how but i figure a stupid question is a good one at this point.  I selected the row with the info mentioned and hit the "Change ..." button.

>> This is normal for drive letters not to appear the same in the recovery environment. This particularly true in your case since the only drive other than the backup drive is not recovered yet. But you do have to be careful to select the right target. You can browse the directory structure to verify for sure which one your backup drive is.

6) Hit next (this is just choosing the backup image file).  Select target drive.  By default, the 933 KB partition on drive 1 was selected.  Intresting...  I selected teh 466 GB NTFS partition instead.  There is also a 24 KB partition visible.  I'm assuing that these 3 partitions have to do with the "Write Partition Structures now?" part of this discussion.  Anyways, 466 GB NTFS partition is selected.  hit next.

>> This does not make sense to me. There should be NO other partitions whatsoever. This is likely part of your problem. See more below.

7) The options ....

I did select "Verify recovery point ..."

I did select "Check for file system errors after recovery" at my discretion.

Resizing was not available (nor do I think I need to do this)

I did select to "Set Drive active" because of the manual that said  "You should select this option if you are restoring the drive on which your operating system is installed."

I did select "Restore original disk structure" since the manual said to do so if "You are restoring a recovery point to a blank hard drive."

I did select "Resotre MBR" since the manual said to do so if  "You are restoring a recovery point to a new, blank hard disk."

Hi kfh227,

Thanks for the updates. There is something not right here, as I mentioned above there should be no other partitions at the point you mentioned above. When you browse the drives (before starting any recovery) how many drive entries to you see listed?

You need to delete ALL drives on the target drive before beginning any restoral attempt. For each drive or partition listed (except your backup drive) you need to select each drive in turn and delete it. If there are multiple partitions should you need to do this for each one. By the time you have finished this operation, you should have only TWO entries listed: 1) your backup drive and 2) a single unallocated partition which should be the entire physical drive. If you see more entries than these two, then there is something extra there that does not belong.

Please NOTE that this assumes you still do NOT have your second 160GB drive installed.

Once you get to the point where there are only these two entries in the list, then try another restoral and make sure it shows unallocated space. When you get to the options page, you absolutely should have a resize option available and given all the problems you have had I would highly recommend setting this option. Just in case your target drive is not 100% identical in size, this will give the restoral a better chance of success.

Again, it is very important that there only be the two entries that I mentioned before you start the next restoral attempt. There should be no 933KB or 24KB entry.

Thanks much

Allen

Kudos0

I'll get back to you on the points made later today.

For now though, I got a new error code.

ED800012

Then I read this:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/pfdocs/2007042415430562?Open&docid=2007042415430562&nsf=powerquest.nsf&view=0&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us

Is this a possible fix?

EDIT: I jsut relaized that hte error text that comes with ED800012 can be different.  The error I am getting is related to an failed CRC Check.  I'll gett the exact text upon next failure.  I think it said something about a fialed CRC check from a CRC that existed within the backup image.

EDIT 2: Stumbled upon the exact text of hte error I eas getting: "Error ED800012: The internal structure of the image file (CRC Check) is invalid, damaged or unsupported."  That's teh exact error I am getting.  Seems liek alot of people have this issue once Windows XP SP3 is installed.  Alot of people report that everything worked fine under SP2.

Kudos0

For he most recent attempt, I did delete the drive partitions that were unexpected.  I ended up choosing a single 466 GB drive that was drive 1.  It was the only drive available other than my 1 TB Lacie external drive.  I saw that this recovery failed at 99% compelte this morning.  Every tiem I check, it makes it 99% of the way through the recovery.

I started to try and restoreform an older backup.  If that doesn't work, I'll try again using a smaller partition size.  I'll drop the max size by 2 GB under this scenario.

Kudos0

Hi kfh227,

Thanks for the update. Before you started your last restoral attempt, how many drives (partitions) did Ghost show? Was it only the two, one for the target drive and one for the backup drive?

Did the target partition you selected show "unallocate space"? Did the resize option then show up and did you select it?

Regarding the ED800012 error code, yes you could try that workaround. However if you are not continuing to see this error it is probably not necessary.

In your last post, you said something about dropping the max size by 2GB. What does this mean?

Also, did you try with and without the "verify recovery point" and "check file system for errors after recovery" options?

Thanks

Allen

Kudos0

Thanks for the update. Before you started your last restoral attempt, how many drives (partitions) did Ghost show? Was it only the two, one for the target drive and one for the backup drive?

After a failed attempt, 3 partitions appear.  The two small ones (933 kb and 24 kb I think they were.  Exact sizes are in this discussion somewhere) are unallocated while the large 466 GB appears as NTFS formatted.  I use ghost to "delete" the drive and then one unallocted drive apepars in Ghost's GUI.   I then do another restoration attempt.

The backup drive also shows up with two partitions.  I think the backup drive has one partition for some sort of documentation/diagnostics/recovery/installation stuff that it shipped with and the other large one for data storage.  This is always how the backup drive has appeared.

Did the target partition you selected show "unallocate space"? Did the resize option then show up and did you select it?

I can get resize to appear but I have not tried to resize yet.  The target does appear as unallocated space once I delete i i nthe Ghost GUIt.

Regarding the ED800012 error code, yes you could try that workaround. However if you are not continuing to see this error it is probably not necessary.

I saw this twice so far.   The more I read about that work around, the more i think it won't work.

In your last post, you said something about dropping the max size by 2GB. What does this mean?

I meant that if i try to do a reseize in the next attempt, I'll resize the drive to 464 GB (thus the 2 GB reduction that I hinted at). 

Also, did you try with and without the "verify recovery point" and "check file system for errors after recovery" options?

I've tried all sorts of combinations.  I know I have tried these options as both on and off.  I havn't done the "check file sysstem for errors after recovery test" for a while.  Maybe that is tied to the ED800012 error.  The "Verify recovery point" befroe restoration option always passes when it's selected.  Atleast it has not failed yet.

Are there any other diagnostic tools available at the Norton site?  Would anythign on the recovery disk help?  I might try to create a bootable drive that is blank and NTFS formatted when I get home.  This will be attempted wit ha free tool called gparted.  Then I'll just try to move the files over from the image.  Do you think that this approach might work?

Kudos0

Hi kfh227,

Thanks for the update. A quick note before I head off to work. Regarding the resize option. Once you select this option, Ghost handles the resizing automatically. If there is even a slight difference in size of the original and new drive, this will increase chances of success.

A side question. When you done the original backup you did not select to have Ghost backup free space did you?

More to follow tonight and I'll look forward to further results.

Thanks much

Allen

Kudos0

I'm not sure what the backup free space option is.  If it is what I think it is, I doubt I would have selected to do so.

Kudos0

I tried to do this as an alternative and it failed misreably:

1) Wipe drive using Western Digital Diagnostics disk

2) Use partition magic to create a single NTFS partition (step 1 was required to do this.  Drive seemed to be corrupted badly)

3) Copy files over using the restore files option.

4) Using an XP install disk, restore the master boot record.

5) boot and hope

6) fail ....

So that didn't work.  Wanted to try something different .... back to using Ghost to see what happpens this round.

Kudos0

Tried to do a recovery by resizing the drive.  I chopped 200 MB off of the size.  Still no luck.

I ma getting close to the point where I am just going to install windows and movethe data files over.  Kinda ticked off because I might loose me iTunes configuration among other things.  As tleast I can save the data (pivtures, movies, financial stuff)

Kudos0

HI kfh227,

Thanks for the updates. Question, are you continuing to see the ED800012 error code? If so, do you have another computer in which you can attach this firewire drive and copy the recovery point which was mentioned earlier in the thread?

How much RAM do you have on your computer?

Thanks

Allen

Kudos0

AllenM wrote:

HI kfh227,

Thanks for the updates. Question, are you continuing to see the ED800012 error code? If so, do you have another computer in which you can attach this firewire drive and copy the recovery point which was mentioned earlier in the thread?

How much RAM do you have on your computer?

Thanks

Allen

I could possibly move the backup image to antoher computer.  The drive can also attach via USB.

The computer I am restoring has 1 Gig of RAM.

I thin kI may have fixed it.  Not done yet but ,.... I installed XP on the busted PC.  That partitioned the drive and setup the MBR for me.  I am now copying all of the data files from teh image on top of the newly created XP installation.  So far it looks to have worked.  I can follow up later o nthe success or failure of this.  But I think it should work.

Kudos0

I did a clean install of Windows XP.

I then used Ghost to copy all ofthe files over on top of the clean install.

It worked for the most part.  A few headaches exist like a corrupted Recycle bin.  I read about that and it should be fixable.

But I have all my files and I ahve all my programs.  Everything seems to be working that matters.  Old installed programs work withuot headache.

So, I think the issue is resovled.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I'm keeping the current image intact and not tossing it away till I get a warm fuzzy that tells me that everything that I normally use is working properly.  Then I'll update hte archive with a new image file.

I found the corrupt file (the CRC one) that caused some headaches.  I can redownload it so it's not a big deal.  I lucked out.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.