• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.86 for Firefox 43.0 X on toolbar

Since the patch came through for Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.86 the X at the end of the toolbar on the right side will not go away. It is there no matter what.

Screenshot;

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.14.x

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.86 for Firefox 43.0 X on toolbar

Umm, I have the X too...., X hides Toolbar for me.   For you...?

Kudos0

It appears this Norton Identity Safe Toolbar got it backwards from the old Norton Toolbar where the X was in front of the Norton Logo Symbol on the NTB.

Kudos0

@bjm_ - it hides it for me too. But I think it should be hidden. It never was there before with the old toolbar that had identity safe in it. If I want to hide the toolbar I usually right click and uncheck Norton Toolbar.

@yank - yeah on IE the X is on the left side.
Kudos0

So I install Firefox 43.0 64-bit because I figure why not? And Norton Identity Safe (Toolbar) for Firefox is not compatible.

Kudos0

SGFC:  So I install Firefox 43.0 64-bit because I figure why not? And Norton Identity Safe (Toolbar) for Firefox is not compatible.

Firefox 43 Limited Compatibility for Norton Toolbar 

Kudos0

That's a long title. They should just call it Norton Toolbar BETA for Firefox.

Kudos0

I can't even get to toolbar.86- nothing on live update; still stuck at .78; announcement said there was a work around:

"Known Issues: Few customers will not be able to enable the Norton Toolbar Add-On. The disabled Add-on will show an older version (2015.5.6.78). If you are facing this issue, Please send a Private Message to Mohan_G for workaround Instructions"

But did not get anything helpful.

I have an old Visa computer and get Norton via Comcast- getting close to just giving up on ff

anybody have any suggestions?

Kudos0

I'm at the latest and greatest(?) of NTB and FF.    What's really sad is I still have to open a second window of FF in order to get the NTB to show up.   NTB is missing in the first window.   

What the @$%#$%@# are the Norton developers doing, chiseling code on stone tablets???

Maybe I should change all of my passwords to "password" until Norton fixes Identity Safe?    And I don't want anyone to tell me to use IE or Chrome either!! 

Kudos0

MurftheSurf:

I have an old Visa computer and get Norton via Comcast- getting close to just giving up on ff

anybody have any suggestions?

Give up on Norton instead.   I'm comparing other A/V software and as soon as I find the best one (which isn't Norton) I'm gone.   I had enough of this incompetence.  

Kudos0

My Firefox / Norton Identity Safe toolbar is version 2015.5.6.76 and is still showing that it "cannot be verified for use with Firefox"

Kudos0

this is exactly what I see- what OS do you use ?Vista; do you get Norton from Comcast?

did you get a 'work around'?

Kudos0

VISTA Home Premium 64 and not from Comcast.

What "work around"?

Kudos0

Hello dforest

Please send a private message to Mohan_G

"Known Issues: Few customers will not be able to enable the Norton Toolbar Add-On. The disabled Add-on will show an older version (2015.5.6.78). If you are facing this issue, Please send a Private Message to Mohan_G for workaround Instructions"

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos0

floplot

I've sent 3 messages to Mohan- 'private' and got no workaround instructions - so maybe they don't exist; just a link

to Norton's limitations with FF43- so still no update to even get to 2015.5.6.86 or anything Norton

Kudos0

Hello dforest

Thanks for info- at least we know it is not Comcast (the usual culprit in getting slow updates) - so maybe it is Vista;

I have the same OS as you. See prior note- I don't think there is a workaround but if I get one I will post it.

Kudos0

MurftheSurf:

Hello dforest

Thanks for info- at least we know it is not Comcast (the usual culprit in getting slow updates) - so maybe it is Vista;

I have the same OS as you. See prior note- I don't think there is a workaround but if I get one I will post it.

Hmm, wonder if you updated to FF43 before Norton patch was resident.

Firefox 43 ships with an override to install unsigned add-ons in the browser.

Load about:config in the browser's address bar.
    Confirm you will be careful if the prompt appears.
    Search for xpinstall.signatures.required.
    Double-click the preference to set it to false.

Mozilla plans to remove the preference in Firefox 44.

No idea if FF override will satisfy 2015.5.6.86
Please confirm you're running Norton 22.5.5.15

Kudos0

This is ridiculous.  I am not going through all of this cumbersome procedure to make software I am paying for, work.  Come on Norton!  I have ditched the Norton vault for LastPass and am very please with the way this works with Firefox.  I plan to do this with Norton Security completely when my subscription expires unless there is a significant improvement.

Enough is Enough.

Kudos0

dforrest: This is ridiculous.  I am not going through all of this cumbersome procedure to make software I am paying for, work. 

Please confirm you're running Norton 22.5.5.15 and FF43

Kudos1 Stats

Here is the link I got from Norton

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113946319_En...

This is more complicated than bjm's solution

To bjm

I ran Norton live update several times before and after updating to FF43- it didn't matter- can't get to N TB .86

so I'm giving up for now and using Chrome where I still have identity safe

Kudos0

MurftheSurf:

Here is the link I got from Norton

This is more complicated than bjm's solution

To bjm

I ran Norton live update several times before and after updating to FF43- it didn't matter- can't get to N TB .86

so I'm giving up for now and using Chrome where I still have identity safe

Thanks, for hot-off-the-press kb document.   This is where I got "override" info".
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/16/what-you-do-when-firefox-disables-installed-add-ons/

Kudos0

Norton Fighter, I am running Norton Security 22.5.4.24.  Nothing later has been offered to me by Live Update.

I am running FF 43.

Kudos0

dforrest:  Norton Fighter, I am running Norton Security 22.5.4.24.  Nothing later has been offered to me by Live Update.  I am running FF 43.

Well, ......Firefox 43 Limited Compatibility for Norton Toolbar
We have released a Limited Compatibility patch for the Norton Toolbar which contains Firefox 43 compatible signed extension for Norton Security 22.5.5.15, Norton Security with Backup 22.5.5.15, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, Norton Antivirus 22.5.5.15, Norton Security Suite 22.5.5.15.

Do you want to try refresh install with NRnR Tool <here>.  Read: Before you begin
Or, would you prefer to Chat with Norton Support  

Kudos0

Are you saying that I need to remove and re-install Norton Security to get this update?

What has happened to Live Update?

Kudos0

dforrest:  Are you saying that I need to remove and re-install Norton Security to get this update?

Well, I can only report to you what others have reported to the Community.  And I've read reports of users stuck on pre 22.5.5.15
Norton may ask you to gather logs.   Or, Norton Support remote session will bring you current.  Users report refresh install helps.  Depends how you want to proceed. 

Kudos0

bjm_:
dforrest:  Are you saying that I need to remove and re-install Norton Security to get this update?

Well, I can only report to you what others have reported to the Community.  And I've read reports of users stuck on pre 22.5.5.15
Norton may ask you to gather logs.   Or, Norton Support remote session will bring you current.  Users report refresh install helps.  Depends how you want to proceed. 

How do I want to proceed?????  The question is "how do Norton intend to fix this"?

Kudos0

dforrest:
bjm_:

How do I want to proceed?????  The question is "how do Norton intend to fix this"?

Well, the Community is sponsored peer to peer support.   As to what Norton intends to do.  Sorry, that's over my pay grade.  I'd say a way to progress your issue is to reach out to Chat Support.  
On my setup.  I'd run the NRnR Tool. 

Kudos0

To all: just for the hell of it I just did voluntary restart of computer; after ran live update - definitions only; boy was I surprised that when I opened FF43 that it was showing the limited version of Norton toolbar and sure enough now up to .86 - toolbar.

To dforrest: this probably won't help but I would first do a restart and then see if that worked; I would then do the help menu

support- in my NSS from comcast this usually will trigger an auto fix program - it is relatively simple and like me you might

be pleasantly surprised.

Kudos0

MurftheSurf: To all: just for the hell of it I just did voluntary restart of computer; after ran live update - definitions only; boy was I surprised that when I opened FF43 that it was showing the limited version of Norton toolbar and sure enough now up to .86 - toolbar.

You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version. It will appear in the LiveUpdate history as Norton Toolbar Add-on.

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/firefox-43-limited-compatibility-norton-toolbar

Kudos0

I ran LUp and nothing more- I don't think the identity safe is available for N TB .86

bjm- do you have identiy safe/vault on FF43?

Kudos0

MurftheSurf:

I ran LUp and nothing more- I don't think the identity safe is available for N TB .86

bjm- do you have identiy safe/vault on FF43?

No, FF43 does not allow unsigned Add-ons.  The patch satisfies Mozilla required verified signature for the limited function Toolbar.  
We have released a Limited Compatibility patch for the Norton Toolbar which contains Firefox 43 compatible signed extension for Norton Security 22.5.5.15, Norton Security with Backup 22.5.5.15, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, Norton Antivirus 22.5.5.15, Norton Security Suite 22.5.5.15.

Kudos0

bjm- thanks for the reply-that was my understanding also; I'm not updating to 43.1- that is for sure

Kudos0

I'm just not finding this problem.  I have updated Firefox to 43.0.1, keep N360 v22.5.5.15 liveupdated almost daily,  have the ....86 Norton ToolBar and firefox accepts it as "verified" and is enabled.    Maybe I am blessed regarding this.... ?

Kudos0

Well I have eventually gone ahead with un-installing and replacing Norton Secularity.

I now have NS 22.5.5.15 and Firefox 43.0.1.

Norton Identity Safe in Firefox is at 2015.5.6.78 with the date 19 December 2015 and it is still disabled.

Kudos0

to g-cafe: do you have the identity safe/vault?

to dforrest: did you restart computer- that is how I got fro .78 to .86?

Kudos0

MurftheSurf:

to

dforrest: did you restart computer- that is how I got fro .78 to .86?

Several times.

Kudos0

to dforrest

this is the link I got from Norton - it was too complicated for me but you might not feel that way

Kudos0

Hello

www.norton.com/latestns         to get version 22.5.5.15  for Norton Security

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos0

Hello

This is the weekend--so no responses from Norton Employees

Thanks.

Kudos2 Stats

That will get you v 22.5.4. You need to run Live Update to get to V 22.5.5

Windows 10 Home X64 Norton Security Premium---Current
Kudos0

This has become absurd.  ID Safe died in Firefox version 42 and there were promises to have it return NO LATER than the end of November, 2015.  Here we are almost out of December, Firefox moved onto version 43 and still NOTHING.  What is the problem?  Can no one at Norton give us an answer?  Apparently not.  Opera is faster but Norton does not support them.  Chrome and Safari are just too slow and I loathe IE Explorer.  I did find that Opera and LastPass work pretty well together but LastPass is itself a bit to quirky.  Come on Norton.  I am headed toward living with quirky and a different virus system simply because you folks cannot get your act together over Firefox and ID Safe. Good customer service demands you give us a reasonable date of delivery.  If it is two months then so be it.  Not providing a reliable date is just bad business.  

Kudos0

wijoder: This has become absurd. Not providing a reliable date is just bad business.  

We will keep you updated on our progress, but will not be releasing any significant feature updates for the next several months – with this outlook in mind, we strongly urge customers to consider a workaround.
Edited: 03-Dec-2015

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/faqs-norton-toolbar-compatibility-issues-firefox

Kudos0

Hello

There were no promises for ID Safe to return by the end of November. It returned with a partial Toolbar with Safe search and other functions.  The contents of the I D Safe are still available. Watch the Announcements on top of the Forum for any News about the Toolbar.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Actually, there were posts from Norton employees stating that Norton toolbar was functional for Firefox ver 42 but that the ID safe would follow in November.  Not sure what value the toolbar provides beyond easy access to ID safe.  The screening function is part of the Norton suite and I do not like the Norton search function.  The only true value to the toolbar was the ID safe.  Perhaps why so many are moving to other browsers to retain the ID safe function or giving up on Norton altogether.  I found Opera to be faster than other browsers but a tad too quirky for my tastes.  LastPass does work but it too is overly quirky.  I see nothing wrong with asking a corporation to be honest with its paying customers.  I do not need apologists trying to defend the company.  I am an IT professional retired after 50 years in the industry as a systems analyst and programmer working with mainframes, miniframes, desktop (Mac and IBM).  I kind of know my way around the industry and I know customers will wait if you tell them when you expect something to publish.  Being evasive is just bad business. 

Kudos0

BJM --  thank you for the link.  Now that is a reasonable answer.  A pity Norton didn't just send it out to all of their registered customers either through email or as a message via the update function.  The fact there is quite a bit of concern from their customers should have alerted someone in customer service that they needed to say something.  Well, thanks again.  I guess I will just suffer with LastPass on Firefox until Norton resolves their current headache with ID Safe.  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

Kudos0

wijoder:  I kind of know my way around the industry and I know customers will wait if you tell them when you expect something to publish.  Being evasive is just bad business.

Are you familiar with the changes Mozilla has planned for Firefox in 2016
Are you familiar with the changes Microsoft has planned for Edge in 2016
Do you know how to integrate an extension onto a platform that hasn't been built yet. 

Kudos0

Either Norton needs to make Identity Safe work with Firefox or offer partial refunds. I'm tried of waiting. When I purchased Norton's it was for the Safe and it's compatibility with Firefox. I hate Chrome, don't like it and have an issue with the toolbar flashing when I did - please, do not bother explaining how to fix it. Make the safe compatible or start issuing some refunds because it's ridiculous now. I also don't care if it is your fault, Firefox's fault or anywhere in between. As your customer I want it to work, I don't care how you do it, just do it.

Kudos0

So, Kimmie. You bought Norton just for the IDSafe function ? Most users I thought, bought it for malware protection.

You want Symantec to give a refund for a problem not caused by Symantec, but by Mozilla changing the rules way back regarding how extensions worked within the browser ?

There has been a partial fix issued for the Safe Browsing function, and the ID Safe function will be released when it is ready.

I repeat, when it's ready. If it's released too soon or there are problems, the forums will light up with even more complaints which I'm sure no one wants.

Windows 10 Home X64 Norton Security Premium---Current
Kudos0

Try not to be so condescending.  Of course I do not know what anyone plans for the future.  However, in the industry most companies have nondisclosure agreements with vendors that support their software.  Companies do work together for their mutual benefit.  Or didn't you know that?  I am confident that unless there was an emergency change due to a suddenly exposed security risk that Norton/Symantic was aware of upcoming changes to the Mozilla Firefox browser.  If this took Norton by surprise then why does LastPass work with the latest edition of Firefox?  Hmmmm?

Kudos1 Stats

wijoder: If this took Norton by surprise then why does LastPass work with the latest edition of Firefox?

Maybe LastPass is not XPCOM or XUL-based add-on.

The next 12 months will change Firefox’s add-on landscape fundamentally
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/23/mozilla-needs-to-focus-add-ons/

Kudos1 Stats

So F4E needs to talk down to a frustrated customer.  Are you an employee of Norton/Symantec?  Do you speak for Norton?  Norton marketed a product with a list of features.  It has failed to work expeditiously to maintain all the marketed features.  If LastPass can update their password safe and have it approved by Mozilla then what why can't a much larger company do the same?  My guess is that instead of providing a quick fix to maintain the current feature, Norton has decided to abandon the current ID safe and introduce a new and improved system.  Norton employees have even said in this forum that the NEW ID Safe will have new features and better security and be compatible with all browsers.  Well most likely not Opera but oh well.  I doubt a single action would prevail in civil court but a class action suit representing all owners that paid for and use the ID Safe function might stand an excellent chance of prevailing.  Instead of repairing the current ID Safe, Norton has gone cheap and moved on to a new system.  Things must be tough at Norton if they can't afford to maintain the functionality promised with a users' purchase.  Or would you Gurus be happy if there were known virus or security problems and Norton just ignored them while they worked on their next version?

One of the reasons I don't live in these forums is there are so many Gurus that need to get a life.  Helping fellow users is one thing.  At least three of you "gurus" are acting like bullies trying to beat up on people that are dissatisfied customers.  You ain't helping Norton with your attitudes.  Unless you get advance information directly from Norton, why don't you just stick to being helpful with what you know?  I remember people like you on the Compuserve forums.  Some were helpful and some were less than helpful. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.