• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Identity Safe Standalone and Firefox 33.1

Hi, I just updated to Firefox 33.1 and now I no longer have my Norton Identity Safe Standalone. All the solutions I have found up to now have advised me to run Live Update on the Norton Identity Safe Toolbar but ... I don't have it any more because I updated to Firefox 33.1 and it is no longer compatible so has been automatically disabled. How do I get my Norton Identity Safe Standalone back, please?

I don't want to reinstall Norton Identity Safe Standalone because then I will lose my stored passwords (I know because I did it last time I updated Firefox).

p.s. I am beginning to really hate Firefox

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Identity Safe Standalone and Firefox 33.1

What security software are you using? If Norton, what version? Click on Support/Help - About.

Have you restarted your computer? If you use Win 8/8.1, an issue with Windows 8/8.1 is the Fast Start feature. With this enabled, you never actually get a full shutdown, which is needed by Norton, and other programs, every once in a while to fully update itself. See this information from Windows Eight Forums on how to turn off this feature. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-...

With Win 8.1, you can right click on the Start button on the Windows desktop and select Shut Down to force a complete shut down.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi, thanks for the response. I have Windows 8.1 OS and am running Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, neither of which have given me any problems to date. However, I also temporarily disabled both of them in an attempt to get my Identity Safe back but it made no difference. And yes, I completely shut down my computer. No matter what I have done I still don't have my Identity Safe.

Incidentally, the version of the Norton Identity Safe Toolbar that Firefox has disabled is 2014.7.7.13 but I do not know how to update it when I can't access it.

Norton Identity Safe Standalone is the only Norton Product I use.

Kudos0

Hi,

Perhaps running a live update will help.

This is how you have to do live update manually in the standalone product:

1. Launch browser with toolbar

2. Click on the Norton button on the toolbar and select About Identity safe from the list

3.Click on Check for new updates from the window which opens

4.The live update will run and pull you the updates.

Apart from this, Live update runs automatically for every four hours. Here incase if you are already updated to FF 33 and see no toolbar, just open your IE and follow the above steps for the manual live update. On reboot, you should see the Toolbar compatible with FF 33.

Kudos0

Hi and thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, it didn't help. I have IE 11 on my machine (a browser that I like even less than Firefox) which DOES have my Identity Safe Toolbar on it. However, when I click the Norton button on the Norton Toolbar in IE 11 nothing happens ... I don't get any list to select 'About' from.

When I look at the IE add-on manager it shows that my Norton Identity Safe Toolbar is version 2014.7.6.15 which makes it an older version even than the one that Firefox has disabled (which is 2014.7.7.13).

Kudos0

"When I look at the IE add-on manager it shows that my Norton Identity Safe Toolbar is version 2014.7.6.15 which makes it an older version even than the one that Firefox has disabled (which is 2014.7.7.13)."

Yeah me too...I don't get that. Why is the version number of the toolbar different in IE and Firefox? I have tried the manual update but nothing updates. I guess it's saying that I have the latest version but I don't think I do. BTW, I'm trying to upgrade to Firefox 33.1.1. At least it warns me that there is a compatibility issue before I proceed. I want to uninstall the stand alone NIS and re-install it but I'm worried I'll forget a step and lock myself out.

Kudos0

Firefox 33 Support for Norton Toolbar <link>
Toolbar versions are browser specific
2014.7.9.8 is the FF 33 Toolbar version for v21 Norton products and StandAlone

Kudos0

Ok thanks bjm for clearing that up. I have 2014.7.7.13 for FF 33.1 Toolbar version for StandAlone. I tried to update it from "About" then "Check for new updates" but nothing happened. I rebooted and tried updating again but still nothing. I also see that the icon for the NIS application under All Programs is blank. I'm wondering if I should just uninstall it and re-install. If so, what norton account passwords should I write down so I don't lock myself out when I go to re-install it again?

Also, under All Programs, I have a Norton folder with a Norton Installations Files subfolder. Should I delete that?

Thanks for the help.

Kudos0

I am at my wits end here - all I want to do is update my Norton Identity Safe Toolbar in Firefox 33.1.1. I don't want to uninstall and reinstall it as I don't want to lose my login information which I did on the LAST update I ran. I was recently told to click on the Norton button on the existing toolbar (2014.7.7.13) but, when I do, nothing happens. How do I run a Live Update when I can't *find* the Live Update? The instructions on the link provided in the above post are not helpful at all. I know Symantec would like us to buy a full product but all I NEED is the standalone Identity Safe and, besides, I can't afford to buy the full product.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how I can just update my Norton Identity Safe Toolbar so I can update my Firefox to 33.1.1? Thank you.

Kudos0

John_Smith1:

Ok thanks bjm for clearing that up. I have 2014.7.7.13 for FF 33.1 Toolbar version for StandAlone. I tried to update it from "About" then "Check for new updates" but nothing happened. I rebooted and tried updating again but still nothing. I also see that the icon for the NIS application under All Programs is blank. I'm wondering if I should just uninstall it and re-install. If so, what norton account passwords should I write down so I don't lock myself out when I go to re-install it again?

Also, under All Programs, I have a Norton folder with a Norton Installations Files subfolder. Should I delete that?

You need you Norton Account creds > email and password and you Vault password.  
Basic rule with FF and Toolbar Updates > First you get the Toolbar Update installed and settled in then you manually update FF
So, FF update setting should be check and notify.  The uninstall / reinstall sounds like a plan.  Even though creds are in the cloud.  Export a dat and csv backup to a convenient place or thumb-drive if possible.

Kudos0

Hi mhead0085

Follow the instructions posted to John_Smith1 above (if that's his real name)
Export a backup before you do anything.  I know creds are in the cloud.  But as you see stuff happens.
Then do the reinstall and in future follow the rules.  Update Toolbar first have update settled in.  Then manually update FF
Did you follow instructions posted here

Kudos0

For the cvs file, when I open it, I get a few lines but no user names and passwords. Is that because it's meant to be imported into NIS?

Also, I have the NIS as an app on my iPhone. So if I uninstall it on my pc and something goes wrong, the one on my iPhone should be fine as a backup right?

Kudos0

@bjm - Thanks everything worked out fine. If you get a chance, I'd still like to know how to use the cvs file with NIS. Do I import it or open it in excel?

@mhead0085 - Here's what I did. Might work for you too. Some of it might be unnecessary but worth doing. First, you need a Dat backup file. For me, it seems NIS automatically creates them for me, I think it's a settings option. I'll have to check on that later. I'm using Win7 and it's under my name folder, then a folder called Norton Identity Safe Backups. You can check if you have this but you can create one manually like I did. You can save it to your desktop and name it something like Identity Safe Data Backup.dat If you don't know how to, just let me know. Next thing I did was create and save a txt file on the desktop, open it and go to NIS. Copy and paste username and passwords for your Norton account, email address and the password for the Vault. I figure you need those 3 at the very least. Then close everything and uninstall NIS using Windows uninstall and you'll get a popup with a message, saying "Any Identity Safe data you have stored online will NOT be deleted..." There's more but you can read it when you get there. Whenever you're ready, click on the yellow lettered Uninstall Norton Identity Safe. You'll get a message saying to reboot. So reboot and then go to IE, download NIS again. Go to update it and it'll say it needs to reboot so that the update can finish. Reboot it and then you can either see what version you have now and just go straight to FF and see if you have your toolbar working again. For me, since I didn't update FF because it kept saying new version of FF wasn't compatible with NIS toolbar, I had to update FF as the last step.

Kudos0

@bjm - Thanks everything worked out fine. If you get a chance, I'd still like to know how to use the cvs file with NIS. Do I import it or open it in excel?
You may use any text editor like Notepad or Wordpad or Excel or Open Office to open csv in the editor and print from there.  One you export a csv backup to a convenient location open the file to view or print  The export was to save backups the import is to restore contents of Vault.  Just in case

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.