• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Internet Security 16.5.0.134 - Full System Scan Freezes

Backgound to Problem:

- Printer was Off an someone wanted to Print something off a Web Page.

- That someone Turned On the Printer and went to File > Print before the Printer had Loaded on the System.

Problem: 

- Now, when I try to Print something, I.E. 08 Freezes up.

- When Running a Full System Scan, it get to about 14,000 Files in and Freezes on C:\hp\drivers\printers\deskjet\common\drivers\com_os\hpztbu08.ex_ and the system becomes un-useable and has to be re-started.

What I've Done: 

- Un-install Printer that was tried to Print from and the Freeze still happens.

- Launched One Click Support and the Auto-Fix Tool which Checks the Product, but it, too, froze, and become "Not Responding".  Actually, it's just said that All Scans Appear Normal.

X.P.; 03.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 05-13-2009 11:59 PMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 05-14-2009 12:01 AMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 05-14-2009 12:01 AMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 05-14-2009 12:11 AM
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Security 16.5.0.134 - Full System Scan Freezes

I see you mention IE8. Does it only happen wityh IE8 or also with firefox, opera, etc
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

I E 8
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Stu wrote:
I see you mention IE8. Does it only happen wityh IE8 or also with firefox, opera, etc

Just I.E. 08.  Everything was working fine un-til what happened in the "Background to Problem".

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Not to belabor the point but, now, after the initial sequence of events has occurred, does the problem occur when you try printing from other applications or is the problem still just IE8?
Kudos0

I would at least try System Restore to a point before the freeze issue began.  Good luck with this -- I  haven't myself been able to get a System Restore to successfully work for months and months and that is with the strategy recommended of turning off Tamper Protection.
mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Hi, Brubaker,

Since the Printer is currently un-installed, I would have to re-install the Printer again, but I am waiting to see all suggestions first.  I was actually thinking about your point today and do plan to test it out on other Applications.  Good suggestion.

P.S.: Nice Picture. 

Hi, mijcar

I have thought about this route, but would rather see if I can get it Fixed without a System Restore.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 05-14-2009 04:12 PM
Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

Hi, Brubaker,

Since the Printer is currently un-installed, I would have to re-install the Printer again, but I am waiting to see all suggestions first.  I was actually thinking about your point today and do plan to test it out on other Applications.  Good suggestion.

P.S.: Nice Picture. 

Hi, mijcar

I have thought about this route, but would rather see if I can get it Fixed without a System Restore.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 05-14-2009 04:12 PM

Hi Floating_Red,

Since the printer is currently uninstalled and the scan still hangs up, I think I'd start by verifying that all printer components have in fact been removed. You may have already done that. If not, make a quick check under program files and also under application data. Most importantly, make a serious search of the registry. Uninstallers too often leave traces behind, hiding in obscure locations, and they can be very troublesome. Chances are that won't solve your problem, but it won't cost anything either, and it will eliminate one possible cause. Good luck.

Kudos0

Brubaker wrote:
Hi Floating_Red,

Since the printer is currently uninstalled and the scan still hangs up, I think I'd start by verifying that all printer components have in fact been removed. You may have already done that. If not, make a quick check under program files and also under application data. Most importantly, make a serious search of the registry. Uninstallers too often leave traces behind, hiding in obscure locations, and they can be very troublesome. Chances are that won't solve your problem, but it won't cost anything either, and it will eliminate one possible cause. Good luck.

Bru, I completely agree about the artifacts left behind.  Almost certainly there will be a driver left behind and HP is notorious for the registry entries it leaves behind.

However, even though I think those items need clearing up, I don't think that is the real problem.  If I read Red's description correctly, this is only an issue with IE8.  He had no problems printing from Firefox or another browser, no problem printing from something like Office.

What that tells me is that the printer is not involved.  Why?  Because of the queueing process.  Once there is a lock-up in printing, no subsequent documents will get printed until the lock-up is resolved.  But they are getting printed; so there is nothing in front of them keeping them from getting through; so the hypothetical document from IE8 is not in the queue.  So IE8 hasn't even pushed the document into the printing system.  So ... don't look at anything related to the printer.

Two possibilities occur to me.

First (this would be the easiest to deal with):  Red unbeknownst to himself selected the wrong printer in the printer dialogue or the wrong printer was selected by some process he inadvertantly initiated.  If the printer selected was a virtual printer (Adobe converter, Quicken converter, etc) or an offline or nonexistant printer, then the computer is still trying to access that printer and there is a bottleneck there.  It won't stop documents from printing to another printer; but it will constantly try to access the printer it thinks Red wanted to print to.

Second (coincidence or indirect consequence):  The problem Red is having has nothing to do with any printer at all.  Something in IE8 is broken or stuck; and what he experienced was the time lag caused by that problem at the same time he was trying to print something.  The compromised IE8 wouldn't complete the printing sequence and the issue has nothing to do with the printer but with IE8.

If it's the first possibility, Red should go into the Printer Device manager and see what information is available is there.  He might find a device there that is waiting to print or complaining about being offline or unavailable and he might be able to clear the queue from there.

If it's the second possibility, that could be a real pain.  He might have to uninstall IE8, make sure IE7 is still working, then reinstall IE8.  Maybe IE8 has a fix-me component, although I have seldom had much luck with such things.

Message Edited by mijcar on 05-14-2009 11:17 AM
mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Hi, Brubaker and mijcar,

When the printer is Offline and you have the computer On, clearly you need to wait until the system Loads Up the printer.  Now, I was not at the computer, and someone I know was at the computer, but I was in the same room; now, there is a sound that happens when the computer Registers the printer and this sound occured just as the User had Clicked on "Print" in the "File" - File > Print - of I.E. 08 and "OK" to print.  I did go to the Folder in Control Panel and, when the printer in question is Off, it still says "Offline", and when I turn the printer On, it says "Online", so no Problems there.  It was only when I went to print something that the system would freeze up, even after re-starting; only tried this with I.E. 08 before I un-installed the printer, and the Printer in question is still un-installed from the system.  I do have a printer that is not Connected to the computer; when I try and print something from that printer not Connected to my computer, no freezes occur and I can easily go to the printer and Cancel the Documents Waiting to be Printed.  If it was just the printer that was affected that the freezes would stop once the printer in question was un-installed, which is what I've done; however, why is the Full System Scan freezing still, when the printer in question has been un-installed?  I am thinking that the Driver has got damaged or something, because, as in with Post 01, the Scan Freezes on that point, and as the printer was just being recognised by the computer when something was trying to be Printed, the Driver could have been damaged; I could be wrong.  I have also done a One-Button Check-up in Norton SystemWorks, and I have done the "Clean Your Registry" with Norton Utilities; Norton SystemWorks doesn't Find anything wrong with my system, while Norton Utilities does Find things, but not related to my Issue.   With the information provided (above), what do you suggest I do to Solve this Issue?

Thank-you for all your suggestions so far.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 05-14-2009 07:19 PM
Kudos0

Red, because I am in the middle of other things, I am going to have to respond in pieces.

First, your understanding of offline versus online is not quite right.

You do not have to have a printer online in order to send an item for printing to the printer.  If the printer is offline, all that will happen is the queue will be created with your item in it, in order, waiting for the printer to come back online.  When that happens, the item will be send on to the printer for printing.  I just confirmed that, by the way, with my own HP, and that is exactly what happened.

Second, I am confused when you say your scan freezes at the driver.  I thought you had removed the driver.  Can you clarify what you mean and also how you know this, please?

Also, a list of exactly what issues your have would help.  At this point, the only thing I am sure of is that your scan freezes.  Do you mean the full system scan, quick scan, custom scan, any combination or all of these?  How usable is the rest of your computer during this freeze?  How do you get out of it at this point?  Taskmanager?  Cancel button?  Power off?  How long do you wait before taking action?

I will check back later.

Kudos0

Hi, mijcar,

"You do not have to have a printer online in order to send an item for printing to the printer.  If the printer is offline, all that will happen is the queue will be created with your item in it, in order, waiting for the printer to come back online.  When that happens, the item will be send on to the printer for printing."

I know.

"Second, I am confused when you say your scan freezes at the driver.  I thought you had removed the driver.  Can you clarify what you mean and also how you know this, please?"

I Removed the Printer, yes, but, if you look at Post 01, then you will see where the Full System Scan Freezes at; that is what I meant.  Even although the printer is indeed un-installed, the F.S.S. still Freezed at that point.  Just the Full System Scan freezes at that point; the Quick Scan Completes without any Problems; I don't use Custom Scans.   When the freezes occurs, it takes about five minutes for a windows to load up, and the C.P.U. is at 100%; also, the "ccSvcHst.exe" Memory Usage jumps to about 26,000 when I checked it once, so, yeah, the system does become completely un-useable.  When I first noticed the freeze, it must have been like that for about ten minutes; I have to re-start the computer to get the computer back to Normal.  And everything runs fine un-less I: try to print something off - which would not be possible now since the printer is un-installed - or if I Run a Full System Scan and it freezes.

Kudos0

Okay, let's try something.  The problem you describe is awfully similar to one I have experienced and which has nothing to do with printers.

Open TaskManager>Processes.

Click on View >Select Columns

Check "Base Priority"

Leave TM open.

Launch a scan.  When it freezes, go to TM (even if you move around slow as molasses).  Right-click on the offending ccSvcHst.exe and change the Priority to Below Normal or Low.  See if this gives you back control of your computer.  If it does, try waiting out the scan.  At least you will now be able to do other things.  If not, at least we have more data on the problem.

Okay, something else.  The file you think is involved may or may not be.  There is a display gap when the scanner shows what it is scanning and actual is scanning that file.  So, it might possibly mean it got frozen on the way to examining the file, while examining the file, or right after scanning the file.  The thing here is that the file you are looking at is not a functioning file.  It is used for building one, but that is not the same thing.  Notice the file type:  ex_.  This means that this file can be converted into an exe file, but isn't one at the moment.

In other words, this file has absolutely nothing to do with any ongoing process in your computer.  The file created from it would, but not this file.

Now that doesn't mean the file hasn't been corrupted or taken over by malware so that when it is converted it will become malware.  I am just saying that this file is not doing anything.

Additionally, you said there are no problems with anything except the full scan.  Am I right that you tried scanning this file with a custom scan and that produced no problems?

If that is so, then once again, it strongly suggests that the problem is elsewhere.

Let's get some of these questions answered clearly and maybe we can then move on from there.
Message Edited by mijcar on 05-14-2009 01:23 PM
Kudos0

mij,

As I understand Red's earlier response to me, he has not yet tried printing from other applications. If the problem is not application specific, that leaves the printer in play. If it is application specific, we have a different problem set.

Red,

Can you confirm, have you tried printing from other applications or just from IE8?

In answer to your closing question, frankly, given what is now known, I'd try reinstalling the printer. You're going to have to do it eventually anyway, and reinstalling isn't going to harm anything. If, as has been suggested, the problem is a corrupted driver, reinstalling should solve the problem. If the driver is still on your system it will be overwritten during the install, and it will in any case be re-registered.

Your thoughts mij?

Kudos0

Brubaker wrote:

mij,

As I understand Red's earlier response to me, he has not yet tried printing from other applications. If the problem is not application specific, that leaves the printer in play. If it is application specific, we have a different problem set.

Red,

Can you confirm, have you tried printing from other applications or just from IE8?

In answer to your closing question, frankly, given what is now known, I'd try reinstalling the printer. You're going to have to do it eventually anyway, and reinstalling isn't going to harm anything. If, as has been suggested, the problem is a corrupted driver, reinstalling should solve the problem. If the driver is still on your system it will be overwritten during the install, and it will in any case be re-registered.

Your thoughts mij?

I thought Red had stated that the problem was only in IE8, from which I concluded he had tried printing from elsewhere.  Let's wait and see his answers to my very specific questions above as well as to this current one:  Can he print to the newly re-installed printer (your suggestion above)?

Kudos0

I just Ran a Custom Scan on the File it freezes on - listed in Post One - in the Full System Scan, and it [the Custom Scan] Completed without any Issues.  I am just about to Launch a Full System Scan to see if it freezes, and I will try mijcar's suggestions if it still freezes.

Kudos0

The Scan froze, but this time it froze on a differnet File: C:\hp\drivers\win2k_xp\hp22ku08.dl_.  I tried your suggestion, mijcar, but the Scan did not move from the number that it stuck on. 

Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

The Scan froze, but this time it froze on a differnet File: C:\hp\drivers\win2k_xp\hp22ku08.dl_.  I tried your suggestion, mijcar, but the Scan did not move from the number that it stuck on. 

At least that is information.

Now, one more thing to try:  Highlight the folder in question (win2k_xp) and run a custom scan on the folder and see if it freezes there.

What I am wondering is:

Is the scan always stopping on some file in the hp driver set ...?

Or is the scan always stopping after a certain number of files have been processed ...?  And because it checks them pretty much in the same order every time, it will stop pretty much in the same place.

Or is there something else accumulating in a file or CPU or RAM somewhere such that when it reaches a certain count, the scan freezes?

This current experiment will at least clear or not the folder in question as the culprit.

P.S.  you haven't yet definitively answered Bru's questions:

1.  whether or not you are able to print from other sources (MS Word, for example; or Firefox) after reinstalling the printer.

2.  And from IE8, ditto.

Message Edited by mijcar on 05-14-2009 03:41 PM
Kudos0

If you notice, it get stuck on a differnet Folder; instead of "cos_os", it gets stuck on "win2k_xp".  Did a Custom Scan on C:\hp\drivers\printers\deskjet\common\drivers\win2k_xp\hpz2ku08.dl_ and it did not get stuck on it.  Am thinking that, maybe when I do Custom Scans, that it helps the Full System Scan get over that File/Folder?  The Full System Scan is always getting stuck around about the "printer\...\drivers" area at the moment.  When the Scan Freezes, it seems to be the "ccSvcHst" Mem. Usage shoots up to 60,000 and the C.P.U. about 30%.  And when I the computer was re-starting, the "ccSvcHst" went "Not Responding on shut-down, so that means it Crashed.

I still have the printer un-installed and I want to go along with your ideas first before re-installing the printer as that may cause more Problems.

Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

If you notice, it get stuck on a differnet Folder; instead of "cos_os", it gets stuck on "win2k_xp".  Did a Custom Scan on C:\hp\drivers\printers\deskjet\common\drivers\win2k_xp\hpz2ku08.dl_ and it did not get stuck on it.  Am thinking that, maybe when I do Custom Scans, that it helps the Full System Scan get over that File/Folder?  The Full System Scan is always getting stuck around about the "printer\...\drivers" area at the moment.  When the Scan Freezes, it seems to be the "ccSvcHst" Mem. Usage shoots up to 60,000 and the C.P.U. about 30%.  And when I the computer was re-starting, the "ccSvcHst" went "Not Responding on shut-down, so that means it Crashed.

I still have the printer un-installed and I want to go along with your ideas first before re-installing the printer as that may cause more Problems.

No, I didn't notice the difference in folders - thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Okay, if you want to try this the way I would, here's what I would do on my own computer.

Delete the entire folder c:\hp.  It is only an installation folder and you would do better reinstalling from scratch.  Anyway, you can always restore it later if you want to.

Now scan and tell us what happens.

Message Edited by mijcar on 05-14-2009 04:36 PM
Kudos0

Re-install what from scratch? 

Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

Re-install what from scratch? 

The HP software, I assume.

Message Edited by mijcar on 05-14-2009 04:41 PM
Kudos0

That's what I thought.  How would I go about that? 

Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

Red,

If you have the HP software CD that shipped with the printer (you should unless someone else set it up), just pop the CD in and follow the prompts.

Kudos0

Brubaker wrote:

Floating_Red wrote:

Red,

If you have the HP software CD that shipped with the printer (you should unless someone else set it up), just pop the CD in and follow the prompts.

So this C.D. should be in the box of the printer?  That includes the the printer installation disc...?

Kudos0

Red,

Yes, it should have come in the box with the printer.

I need to add one caveat regarding installation: If you're using a USB connection, you'll need to disconnect the cable before you begin the installation. There are some other considerations if the printer is being shared on a LAN, but it doesn't appear that's the case.

Kudos0

So there should be two discs in the printer box: The H.P. Software and the Printer Installation C.D., yes?

Kudos0

No, there will be one disk that contains everything needed to install the printer software.

If your system is set to autostart cds, you only need to insert the cd and wait a few seconds while the system spools it up. If it does not autostart, you can browse to the cd and manually start the installer. From there, you'll get a series of screens taking you through the process of installing the software and setting up your printer.

The disk probably also contains a user guide in pdf form. You can check that by just browsing the content of the CD. It might be a good idea to take a few minutes and read the installation portion. If there is no guide on the disk, you can go to the HP web site and should be able to download a copy from there.

Kudos0

Brubaker wrote:

No, there will be one disk that contains everything needed to install the printer software.

If your system is set to autostart cds, you only need to insert the cd and wait a few seconds while the system spools it up. If it does not autostart, you can browse to the cd and manually start the installer. From there, you'll get a series of screens taking you through the process of installing the software and setting up your printer.

The disk probably also contains a user guide in pdf form. You can check that by just browsing the content of the CD. It might be a good idea to take a few minutes and read the installation portion. If there is no guide on the disk, you can go to the HP web site and should be able to download a copy from there.

Is that what mijcar meant by Deleting the "hp" Folder and then re-installing it from scratch, do you think?

And that Printer Installation Disc is all I would need, yes?

Thanks for both your help on this!

Kudos0

Yes and no. When mijcar wrote for you to delete c:\hp, that was simply a cleanup step, removing an unneeded folder and, if any remain, the files and subfolders in it. That is just one of the things that can be left behind after an uninstall. Usually they don't cause any problems, they're just clutter, but it's best to make a clean sweep.

Having done that, you're ready to press ahead with the installation. If you are uncomfortable with doing that, I would strongly urge that you take a look at the installation portion of the user guide, either on the CD or at the HP web site. It's not rocket science, but there are some very specific steps to be followed. Generally, the screen prompts are sufficient if you know where you're headed, but a bit of prepping would be a good idea if you aren't certain.

Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

Brubaker wrote:

Is that what mijcar meant by Deleting the "hp" Folder and then re-installing it from scratch, do you think?

And that Printer Installation Disc is all I would need, yes?

Thanks for both your help on this!

As Bru says, yes and no.

Between deleting the folder and reinstalling the HP software, I think you should run a Full Scan one more time and see if it locks up anywhere.

If it doesn't, then we know that the problem lies in the HP installer.  If it still freezes, then we know to look somewhere else.  This needs to be done before you re-install the HP software, please!

Kudos0

I have a feeling, Red, you didn't get to my post in time.

If you went ahead and installed the HP software, then my fingers are crossed that everything went fine and the scanning problem is fixed.

If not, well ... (sigh) ... you have a bit of work to do.

If the scanner still locks up anywhere in the HP folder, you will need to:

1.  Uninstall all HP stuff using ADD/DELETE

2.  Delete the HP folder where the lock up occurs

3.  Run the scanner again.  If it locks up, let us know where.

My fingers are still crossed.  Good luck.

Kudos0

Red,

In your first post of this thread, you wrote that you had uninstalled the printer, but your more recent posts suggest that you have never installed a printer. That's no sin, and my apologies if I'm wrong, but that raises a core question: When you "uninstalled" the printer, what exactly did you do?

Kudos0

mijcar,

The computer has just been in Sleep Mode, so I haven't done any un-installing and re-installing of any Drivers; I will try another Full System Scan and will let you know what happens.

Brubaker,

I went to: Start > All Programs and went to my printer and un-installed it using the un-install option.

On Friday, May 15, 2009, when the Second Set of "Norton 2009 Virus Definitions" were Released Dated 20090514.24, I dis-connected from the Internet with I.E. 08 still Open and a few Norton Windows Open, and did a Quick Scan. When the Quick Scan Completed, I re-connected to the Internet - and now I need to Click on Web Links about Five-or-more-times for I.E. to Start to Load the Web Page up; when I Click on "Post" after typing a Message once, it seems to not do anything un-less I Click on it five-or-more times to get I.E. to Load and Post the Message I wrote. I am not sure if this is related to my Current Issue, but it is strange behaviour.

And now, whenever I Click on a Windows to Open it, it starts to flash blue, then stop and goes to a solid blue, and then if I Click it again, it starts to flash blue again and then if I Click it again, it finally Opens; I can Post a Screen Shot of this if you wish.  It was happening, but, since re-starting my computer, it does not happen any more.

Kudos0

Red,

Thanks for the clarification on the means used to uninstall. That's normally the best option. Now, do me a favor a make a few checks.

Go to control panel/add or remove programs. Look for any remaining HP entries. If any are there, click on each one and select remove.

Next, run a search for any remaining HP folders/files and remove them.

Run a registry scan to remove any artifacts. If you're comfortable working with the registry, follow that with a manual check for any HP related entries that may still be hiding.

At that point, we've established a baseline for the printer. Now follow mijcar's advice and run an NIS full system scan.

Depending on how that works, we can move to the next step.

As to your latest problem, I doubt that it's related to the first problem, but I honestly don't know. Display Task Manager, select the Performance tab and let it sit there while you try starting IE8 or some other app. Take note of the CPU usage. I'm guessing that at that point it's running way up there and that's what's causing the lengthy delay. If so, the next step is determining what is eating up those CPU cycles.

Cheers

Kudos0

Hi, Brubaker and mijcar,

I've got good news and bad news.  The good news is that the Full System Scan is not sticking previously where it was sticking.  I Removed the "HP Deskjet Preloaded Printer Drivers" from Add/Remove; however, there are still some H.P. "things" still in there.  I then used Norton SystemWorks and Norton Utilities, which both Found Issues in the Registry and Repaired them.  The bad news is that the Full System Scan is now Freezing in a differnet place; it gets about 310,000 Files in and Frezes on: C:\System Volume Information\_restore(D207F513-1AD2-4EA6-B9AE-1EC20364A2B0)\RP619\A01O3448.rbf. and "ccSvcHst.exe" - SYSTEM - 82 C.P.U. - Mem Usage 51,996K ~ "ccSvcHst.exe" - HP_Owner - 15 C.P.U. - Mem Usage 8,404K when it Freezes.  Any suggestions?  I have Screen Shots if you want me to Post them. 

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 05-15-2009 04:34 PMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 05-15-2009 04:36 PM
Kudos0

Red,

I had the same problem with two different versions of N.I.S.  I called Norton and they had me turn-off the "Scan Compressed Files" option under Computer Settings.  After I did that the Full System Scan ran without any problems.

I hope this helps.

Kudos0

bigfoot2348 wrote:

Red,

I had the same problem with two different versions of N.I.S.  I called Norton and they had me turn-off the "Scan Compressed Files" option under Computer Settings.  After I did that the Full System Scan ran without any problems.

I hope this helps.

Hi, bigfoot2348,

Thanks for the information.  However, this to me is not a Solution to me; I should not have to Turn Off "Scan Compressed Files" when everything was working fine until the Problem mention in this Thread.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 05-15-2009 05:44 PM
Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

bigfoot2348 wrote:

Red,

I hope this helps.

Hi, bigfoot2348,

Thanks for the information.  However, this to me is not a Solution to me; I should not have to Turn Off "Scan Compressed Files" when everything was working fine until the Problem mention in this Thread.

Even if it's not ultimately a solution, it is worth a try.

I had a hunch something like this might happen.  It seems to be related in some way to an accumulation of data being manipulated.  Go ahead and turn off Scan Compressed Files and see what happens then.

Kudos0

mijcar wrote:

Floating_Red wrote:

bigfoot2348 wrote:

Red,

I hope this helps.

Hi, bigfoot2348,

Even if it's not ultimately a solution, it is worth a try.

I had a hunch something like this might happen.  It seems to be related in some way to an accumulation of data being manipulated.  Go ahead and turn off Scan Compressed Files and see what happens then.

I am not prepared to do this, but, if you want me to do this to Test.

Do you think I should un-install and then re-install N.I.S.?

Kudos0

Hi Floating_Red,

"Freezes on: C:\System Volume Information\_restore"

During installation of NIS 2009, "System Volume Information" is excluded from scanning by default.

If you added that exclusion back in, that may help you complete a full scan.

[edit: added quote]

Message Edited by Phil_D on 05-15-2009 02:37 PM
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Phil_D wrote:

Hi Floating_Red,

During installation of NIS 2009, "System Volume Information" is excluded from scanning by default.

If you added that exclusion back in, that may help you complete a full scan.

Hi, Phil_D,

I want to Scan all my computer with the Full System Scan, afterall, it is meant to Scan the whole system as that is what it says.  But yeah, I know that the "System Volume Information" is an Exclusion by Default. 

Thanks for Posting!

Kudos0

I understand that you want to scan your entire computer, however there is a reason System Volume Information is excluded by default as noted here.

The primary concern is:

"If Norton AntiVirus finds an infected file, then it tries to fix the file. The files in the Windows System Restore folders are protected and cannot be changed. Because the files cannot be changed, Norton AntiVirus will continue to try to fix the file and will continue to fail."

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Phil_D wrote:

I understand that you want to scan your entire computer, however there is a reason System Volume Information is excluded by default as noted here.

The primary concern is:

"If Norton AntiVirus finds an infected file, then it tries to fix the file. The files in the Windows System Restore folders are protected and cannot be changed. Because the files cannot be changed, Norton AntiVirus will continue to try to fix the file and will continue to fail."

Wouldn't that be a False Positive?  And, if a Threat were to get in there, couldn't that Threat be Removed? 

Kudos0

No it would not necessarily be a false positive.

If System Restore took a "snapshot" of a system at a point when the computer was infected, then that Restore Point would actually be infected and not repairable because those files are protected.

That is why we often recommend deleting Restore Points when dealing with a malware issue.

Kudos0

What am trying to get at is that, even if a File(s) or Folder(s) were Added to the System Volume Information, Windows would Automatically Protect that File(s) and Folder(s) and therefore Anti-Virus Software could not Remove it?

Kudos0

Yes, System Volume Information Files are protected from being changed and AntiVirus software cannot remove any threats from them.
Kudos0

So, say Norton did Detect a Threat in the System Volume Information; how would you Remove it apart from Deleting System Restore?

Kudos0

Phil_D wrote:
Yes, System Volume Information Files are protected from being changed and AntiVirus software cannot remove any threats from them.

Let me add a little bit to this. I may be wrong, but from I have been able to determine these files and intertwined in such a way that no single file can be pulled out or modified -- it this were otherwise, than malware would be able to stick bad files in there at any time.

But at the moment, this conversation is beside the point.

Brubaker and I have recommended that F.Red try running a full scan with the exclude-zipped files option so that we will know if that is a possible source of the problem he is having.  If he will do this and let us know whether the scan still locks up or not, it will be useful information.

After he does this, IF THE SCAN DOES NOT LOCK UP, then he should go back to settings and turn "compressed files scan" back on.  He should also turn ON "remove infected compressed files" and  "limit data extraction" and try another scan and report on that one, which is the ideal, of course.

And, I cannot emphasize this enough, he needs you listen to what you are saying:  Do not scan System Volume Information Files!

Message Edited by mijcar on 05-15-2009 01:57 PM
Kudos0

Hi mijcar,

I agree with the diagnostic approach put forth by you and Brubaker.

The only reason I jumped in was because the most recent scan failed at:  "Freezes on: C:\System Volume Information\_restore"

Kudos0

Just to Confirm; you want me to...

01. ...turn Compressed File Scanning Off and do a Full System Scan?

02. ...put the System Volume Information in the Exclusions and do a Full Sysytem Scan?

03. ...do Steps One and Two in one Full System Scan?

04. a) ...turn On Compressed File Scanning, Remove Infected Compressed Files and Limit Data Extraction if the first Full System Scan does not lock up?

b) What asould I do if the Scan does Lock-Up/Freeze again?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.