• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Internet Security 2009 and LAN access problem when I changed ip address

Hi

I am using Norton Internet Security in the old office I have got no problem with shared files between 3 computers, and shared printers (USB printer not network printer), and pinging

I moved those 3 computers (XP SP3) from the old office to a new office, and  I changed the router from Netcom (10.0.0.1) to Linksys WAG54G2. ip addresses for computers changed from 10.0.0.x to subnet 192.168.1.x

Now all 3 computers are able to ping 192.168.1.1 (Linksys router ip address)

But those computers cannot ping each other

When I disabled 2009 Norton firewall (temporarily for 15 minute ), they were able to ping each other .

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Security 2009 and LAN access problem when I changed ip address

Have you tried Restting the Smart Firewall on each machine and then rebooting them all ?  (Settings > Internet Settings > Smart Firewall > Advanced Settings > Firewall Reset > click on Reset [+] )
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Security 2009 and LAN access problem when I changed ip address

Thanks dbrisendine, I will try your advice.

Appreciated

Kudos0

If the computers can each ping the router successfully but can not ping each other then the problem is not in the Norton Firewall (although resetting it will probably still be a good idea) but in the router.  Check the router setup to see if it's internal firewall is active and weither any NAT functions are on.

Just curious but why the IP change?

Kudos0

The IP change because different router uses different default (I said default because you can change them to whatever you like, but I kept default one ) ip addresses.

>>not in the Norton Firewall (although resetting it will probably still be a good idea) but in the router.  <<

When I disabled Norton firewall they wre able to ping each other ,,,Wouldn't that be indictor to the problem with Norton not a router ?

Kudos0

>>Have you tried Restting the Smart Firewall on each machine and then rebooting them all ?<<

Unfortunate does not fix the problem

Kudos0

Are you pinging by IP address or by Computer name?
Kudos0

ip addresses
Kudos0

>>Check the router setup to see if it's internal firewall is active and weither any NAT functions are on.

<<

Today I used different router called : 2wire 2701HGV-w

www.2wire.com

And there is Active Firewall on the router , Should that not be an issue with my case because firewall for inbound internet traffic not through my LAN ?

http://img198.imageshack.us/i/2wirefirewallsettings.jpg/Message Edited by zillah on 07-13-2009 11:44 PM
Kudos0

zillah wrote:

And there is Active Firewall on the router , Should that not be an issue with my case because firewall for inbound internet traffic not through my LAN ?

Correct; that should not be a problem.

Can you go back to the Linksys and change it's addresses to the 10.0.0.1 settings you used in the original network?  Thanks.

Kudos0

Can you go back to the Linksys and change it's addresses to the 10.0.0.1 settings you used in the original network?  Thanks.

Unfortunately I return the linksys router to the shop where I bought it , because  I used the router that supplied by ISP (2wire)
By the way I forget to mention that I am using static ip addresses for each pc with right subnetmask and right DNS server (router ip address).

Regarding 10.0.0.1,,,,,I am not 100 sure if it was 10.1.1.0 or 10.0.0.1 for my previous setting 

Kudos0

http://img176.imageshack.us/i/bloackicmpnorton.jpg/

With the image above you might notice that ICMP (inbound and outbound) are blocked , could be that is the reason for my problem,,,,,,al though I did not touch that at all

Kudos0

If you go into the Network Security Map and click on the Network Details > Edit (blue link), what Trust level does it show for the network?  If different from "SHARED" try changing it to that and seeing if this makes any difference. 

Also, please check if there is any Proxy setting in the Miscellaneous Settings for NIS2009.  (Forgot about that one; sorry.)

Kudos0

dbrisendine wrote:

If you go into the Network Security Map and click on the Network Details > Edit (blue link), what Trust level does it show for the network?  If different from "SHARED" try changing it to that and seeing if this makes any difference. 

Also, please check if there is any Proxy setting in the Miscellaneous Settings for NIS2009.  (Forgot about that one; sorry.)

1- All PCs in shared level

2- The router is not with them ,,,It comes under Local Area Connection

3- Noting in the proxy fields

Thanks

Message Edited by zillah on 07-14-2009 06:51 PM
Kudos1 Stats

Thanks for the information.  I have located your problem.  You have a missing rule in the default database.  In the picture below, the rule set on the left is yours; on the right is mine.  The highlighted rule is the one missing.  Unfortunately, the highlighted rule is a default greyed rule which means I can't tell you how to make the rule.  But if you reinstall NIS2009 the rules should be corrected.  You can find instructions on this at this post .

What version of NIS2009 are you running?  The version information is available under Help&Support > About in the form of ##.##.##.### .

Message Edited by dbrisendine on 07-15-2009 12:00 AM
Kudos0

1- Version 16.5.0.135

2- I did reinstall it on 3 computers all of them have missing rule that you had pointed out.

but at the very first screen before scrolling down (like I did in my previuos post) I have got those options (but they are not for shared network)

http://img170.imageshack.us/i/nis2009.jpg/

Message Edited by zillah on 07-14-2009 09:38 PM
Kudos0

Did you install while connected to old router or new router?  (basically old IP network or with the new IP network)
Kudos0

dbrisendine wrote:
Did you install while connected to old router or new router?  (basically old IP network or with the new IP network)

New ip address, that means the router is on the netwrok and I was able to ping each computer include router then I installed again while the neowrk is live.

Kudos0

dbrisendine,

Wouldn't resetting the firewall have restored the missing default rule?  That should have fixed it, yes?

Kudos0

SendOfJive -

I would have thought so also.

zillah -

Please go into the router settings and turn off the Invalid ICMP detection.  Then test the network.  Reset the firewalls and test again.  Thank you.

Kudos0

zillah -

Please go into the router settings and turn off the Invalid ICMP detection.  Then test the network.  Reset the firewalls and test again.  Thank you.

Same probem although I unpligged the router wait for 1 minute and then plug power again

Kudos0

I just looked at my General Rules and the entry I have matches dbrisendine's except it does not have the "(Shared Networks)" appended.  It is the Number One rule so it supercedes all others BUT - it is not checked by default so it is disabled! 

Zillah, see if your rule is also unchecked, and, if so, enable it and see it that helps.

Kudos0

Zillah, see if your rule is also unchecked, and, if so, enable it and see it that helps.

It is unchecked , but since it is grayed out I can not modify it to tick it 

Kudos0

zillah wrote:
It is unchecked , but since it is grayed out I can not modify it to tick it

So it is.  Hm.  If dbrisendine's rule is the solution, we need to figure out where it came from, since it does not exist in the versions that you or I have.  I'm also puzzled why a similar-sounding rule that cannot even be turned on is placed at the top of the list.  Is there any point in that?

Kudos0

So it is.  Hm.  If dbrisendine's rule is the solution, we need to figure out where it came from, since it does not exist in the versions that you or I have.  I'm also puzzled why a similar-sounding rule that cannot even be turned on is placed at the top of the list.  Is there any point in that?

I do not what to do

Kudos0

The rules change (on and off) based on the level of Trust and type of network.

zillah-

Can we try a ping with the firewalls set to Full Trust?  Network Security Map > Network Details - Edit > Edit Network Details - TRUST level - Edit.  Change that to Full Trust.  See if the computer's can ping each other then.  Thanks. 

Kudos0

Change that to Full Trust.  See if the computer's can ping each other then.  Thanks. 

Yes I can ping each other.

Kudos0

When you reinstalled NIS2009 recently did you use the Norton Removal Tool after running the Add / Remove uninstall?
Kudos0

dbrisendine wrote:
When you reinstalled NIS2009 recently did you use the Norton Removal Tool after running the Add / Remove uninstall?
No
Kudos0

Can you try that on one machine?  Just wondering if the rules were carried from the old system instead of building fresh ones on finding the new network.

The Norton Removal Tool is available here .  A fresh copy of NIS2009 is available here .  Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

zillah wrote:

1- All PCs in shared level

2- The router is not with them ,,,It comes under Local Area Connection

3- Noting in the proxy fields

HI zillah,

Your description of the Norton Network Map has raised some questions for me.   Maybe I am misunderstanding but from what you have described it sounds as if Norton may not be recognizing your PCs as belonging to the network and may therefore be blocking them.  Under "Network Details" there is a dropdown box.  If the PCs only appear under "Trust Control" then something is amiss as this is only a listing of devices that have had their trust level changed to something other than the general trust level assigned to the overall network.  One of the other options under "Network Details" should show all the PCs that are connected to the actual network.  If that is not what you see, then Norton may not have properly assigned the devices on the revamped network map following the recent changes you made.  If this appears to be the case (and even if it doesn't) you might try re-establishing your network.

Norton automatically detects new devices as they connect to the network so the procedure you need to follow to make sure everything is visible to Norton is this:  First disconnect all peripheral PCs from the network.  Then, in the Norton Network Map window make sure that you turn off Remote Monitoring (Computer Discovery).  Go to the Norton Settings and, under the "Manage Network" tab, exercise the option to Purge the network map.

Now reconstruct your network:  Open the Network Map but do not make any entries.  Reconnect your PCs to the network.  As you do so, each one should appear in the network map.  Hopefullly, if the problem is that Norton hasn't properly recognized the devices on your network, this will fix it. 

-SendOfJIve, with a "Thanks" to dbrisendine for his help and guidance on this.

Kudos0

dbrisendine wrote:

Can you try that on one machine?  Just wondering if the rules were carried from the old system instead of building fresh ones on finding the new network.

I will try that and update you 

Thanks

Kudos0

HI zillah,

Your description of the Norton Network Map has raised some questions for me.   Maybe I am misunderstanding but from what you have described it sounds as if Norton may not be recognizing your PCs as belonging to the network and may therefore be blocking them.  Under "Network Details" there is a dropdown box.  If the PCs only appear under "Trust Control" then something is amiss as this is only a listing of devices that have had their trust level changed to something other than the general trust level assigned to the overall network.  One of the other options under "Network Details" should show all the PCs that are connected to the actual network.  If that is not what you see, then Norton may not have properly assigned the devices on the revamped network map following the recent changes you made.  If this appears to be the case (and even if it doesn't) you might try re-establishing your network.

Norton automatically detects new devices as they connect to the network so the procedure you need to follow to make sure everything is visible to Norton is this:  First disconnect all peripheral PCs from the network.  Then, in the Norton Network Map window make sure that you turn off Remote Monitoring (Computer Discovery).  Go to the Norton Settings and, under the "Manage Network" tab, exercise the option to Purge the network map.

Now reconstruct your network:  Open the Network Map but do not make any entries.  Reconnect your PCs to the network.  As you do so, each one should appear in the network map.  Hopefullly, if the problem is that Norton hasn't properly recognized the devices on your network, this will fix it.

I will look to this and let you know.

Thanks

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.