• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

(Norton internet security 2009) google updater, confusion with firewall???

was just looking over my firewall history and found this google updater.exe was targeting Norton internet security????? I have 2 of those that were blocked!

Action- Open process token

Should I delete google updater, I only have it for google earth, or is it nothing to worry about?

Why would it even be targeting Norton???

Replies

Kudos0

Re: (Norton internet security 2009) google updater, confusion with firewall???

Its not targeting Norton. What your seeing is normal firewall activity. Google Updater is trying to get out and look for updates but NIS is blocking it. You can disable the Google updater service by going to run and typing "services.msc". Find the Google updater service and stop it. Then right click on it and select disable. You can also just allow it in the firewall rules for NIS.
Kudos0

It is targeting Norton because it says Target- Norton internet security
Kudos0

What this means is simply firewall communication. It does not mean Google updater is attacking NIS. It means Google updater is trying to to access the internet but NIS is stopping it. Basically Google updater is asking NIS if it can connect and NIS is saying no. That's as simply as I can put it.
Kudos1 Stats

Hi GreatNate1312,

You have mentioned the actor- "google updater.exe" as well as Action -"Action- Open process token". What is the Target file in Norton which is blocked? I guess that it is ccSvcHst.exe.

Please check for the entry of googleupdater.exe in the Program Control(firewall). If it is set to CUSTOM/AUTO, then it's a normal behaviour. I think, the flow goes like this:

1. GoogleUpdater.exe give initial process access token to the firewall when it tries to connect to the Internet.

2. Firewall blocks it first, opens the process access token and verifies the source/permission to access Internet. Then allows it to connect. At the point the firewall blocks GoogleUpdate, the entry in firewall history is made.

I accept that this is not the exact way, but sure that it goes around similar way.

Yogesh

Kudos0

its funny I just deleted google updater (didnt want it anyway) and it came up in the firewll??? Im not to worried about it but thanks for all your help

Kudos0

How did you delete it? You need to uninstall it not delete it. Or you need to do what I said and disable the service.
Kudos0

I meant uinstall, not delete! comon now you know what I mean

Kudos0

GreatNate1312 wrote:

I meant uinstall, not delete! comon now you know what I mean

If I interpret your reply <g> the answer is that we don't know you don't mean what you say until you tell us. I do support on Windows in other places and you would be surprised (would you really?) how many people remove applications using the DEL key. And then ask why funny things happen.

We don't see your PC; we don't have control of it; we don't know your level of expertise .... so that's why we ask what may seem to be silly questions!

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.