• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

norton internet security 2009 NIS update failer

I purchased a laptop about 3 months ago. I also bought norton internet security 2009 but for some reason now it will not install the nis updates. I would like to know if there is a way to fix this issue, some people have told me to download the new 2010 version and remove the old one. But I bought the 2009 and do not want to purchase another. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks D

Replies

Kudos0

Re: norton internet security 2009 NIS update failer

you do not have to purchase the 2010 version, since you have a valid subscription remaining in your Norton 2009 product, you are eligible for a free update to the latest (2010) version.

You can run Norton removal tool to remove the 2009 version.

www.symantec.com/symnrt

And then you can download and install the 2010 version from the link www.norton.com/nis10

Make sure that you take a backup of your identity safe profile before you run the Norton Removal Tool.

Vineeth--

Kudos0

Do I download the 2010 version first then remove 2009 with the removal tool. Also what numbers do I need for the 2010 version to work product key, serial what. What is the identity safe profile. I checked norton version and for some reason it says 16.0.0.125 then at bottom 1997-1998.
Kudos0

Yes, you can download the Norton 2010 product first. Then download and run the Norton removal Tool. Your Product key is a 25 character alpha numeric code which starts with the letter "J". Mostly, you will not have to enter the product key, as the 2010 installation automatically picks up the 2009 key.

Regarding Identity safe, you need to take a backup of identity safe if and only if you are using it or you have created a profile. if not, leave that step. You can find the steps to back up Identity safe in the following document:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080612140324EN

Vineeth--

Kudos0

thanks alot for your help worked great all updates worked. Just to let you know before I did all this I called the customer help line and the person on the other end wanted a tech to fix my computer from where ever they were computer to computer for a fee of 69.95 When I told him no way he tried and tried.Finally put me on hold for someone to wait 1.5 hours and still not talk to someone. Anyway thanks for the help much appreciated.

thanks again D

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.