• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Internet Security 20.2.0.19 always thinks my PC is idle

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and lately I've found that Norton Internet Security 20.2.0.19 is kicking off "background idle procesing" when my system isn't idle.

This evening, I left my computer sitting for several hours and then sat down to use it.  Within 5 minutes, a notification popped up saying Norton was doing background idle processing.  I closed that notification, but Norton continued to run.  When I checked the Performance tab it showed my system as being idle which is obviously not the case.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Security 20.2.0.19 always thinks my PC is idle

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and lately I've found that Norton Internet Security 20.2.0.19 is kicking off "background idle procesing" when my system isn't idle.

This evening, I left my computer sitting for several hours and then sat down to use it.  Within 5 minutes, a notification popped up saying Norton was doing background idle processing.  I closed that notification, but Norton continued to run.  When I checked the Performance tab it showed my system as being idle which is obviously not the case.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Security 20.2.0.19 always thinks my PC is idle

I ran the support tool and it recommended restarting to do an install. After I rebooted I was running 20.2.1.

At this point idle detection seems to be working.  It looks like Norton Insight was what was running as it said it last ran for an hour and 20 minutes.  Hopefully rebooting while it was running didn't cause a problem.  

Also oddly now the last run time for Quick Scan is never. I manually kicked off the insight scan (which takes forever).  I'll do the quick scan after that. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.