• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

"Norton" Pop Up cancelled my NIS2008 subscription (only 5months old) !!!??

Replies

Kudos0

Re: "Norton" Pop Up cancelled my NIS2008 subscription (only 5months old) !!!??

Please could you Provide more Details such as O.S., S.P. and what the pop-up looked like.  A Screen Shot might be a good thing to do here.  Thanks! 

First Post was Blank when I Posted.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 11-12-2008 04:43 PM
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

I just asked for help in copying screen shots from MS Paint or MS Word.  The paste option is disabled when I want to paste in a message here. 

I posted all the details  in under the "Norton Pop up claiming to have .......WIN.Fung messages.  Should be on page 5.

I will revise and post here with screen shots when I learn how.

Kudos0

Originally I had the Trojan-Keylogger.WIN32.Fung Pop up that appeared about 4 times on Nov.1/08 and never after that.  On Nov.5/08, a NIS2008 Full System Scan found and fully removed Downloader.Misleadapp was fully removed.

Now I got two new pop ups that appear to be from Norton.  I don't think they are because Symantec would not cancel my NIS2008 (5 months old) without asking for my permission.    

ABOUT THE FIRST POP-UP:

The top left corner has an N in two circles with Norton written beside it. 

In the top right corner there’s a white X in a box.

Underneath this in a rectangle, there is a big X in a circle with Subscription Expired written beside it.  

Underneath this, is the following:You are not protected against new viruses, spyware, and other security risks.

Renew your Norton Internet subscription now!

Please choose one of the following:Renew now (recommended) OK 

**At first, Pop-up could not be closed, nor removed with Alt F4.  Only shutting down or restarting got rid of it.  Hasn't showed up since.

CHANGES THAT  WERE MADE TO MY NORTON PROTECTION CENTRE:

In left corner the icon is a yellow circle with a heart-monitor-type line and with Norton written beside it. 

In the Home Tab, under Norton Protection Centre there is a red-filled circle with a white X and beside it, it states Norton Internet Security has a license or subscription problem.  It shows that the Protection Updates and Spyware Definitions are At Risk.  The rest are shown as Secure.  

On the Norton Internet Security Tab there is a red circle with a diagonal line slanted to the right.  In the tab it’s written:  Norton Internet Security and underneath that:  Your subscription has expired.   Renew.The Tasks &Scans, Settings and Reports & Statistics look as follows:

Tasks &Scans ____________________                                       

Settings ______________________________________________________________ 

Reports & Statistics____________________________________________________ 

**At the bottom of page, right side there is a big pink circle with a diagonal line through it overlaid on top of a faint grey NIS logo.  But, yesterday, there was only the pink circle without the logo inside. Again today, no logo inside.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:

1. Enabled Windows Firewall (blocking all inbound communications) and Windows Defender. 

2. Then, I uninstalled NIS2008 and then re-installed from a disc.  In the Finish box, I got the message that NIS is Already Installed and my Installation Key was already entered!?  After the re-installation, I didn’t get the pop-up but the Norton Security Centre was still altered with the same messages to renew. 

3. Ran several scans using Windows

SECOND POP UP 

Logo;  Live Update

Solid blue circle with a white “i” or “upside down exclamation mark”;  Security Information

Live Update:  Restart Required to receive the most recent updates, you must restart your computer system. 

What do you want to do?

Restart now (recommended)

OK  

Alt. F4 activates the update. I cancel the live update processing and the box is removed.  The above pop up only is removed when shut down/restart.

I'll post the screen shots soon. 

HELP !!!     WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT? 

Tron834

Nov.12/08

Kudos0

Where did you Buy the N.I.S. 2008 from?  Was it from a well-known shop or from the symantec Online Store? 

How old is your computer/laptop?

In the meantime, please do this:

01. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html.

02. Install.

03. Update.

04. Do a Full Scan in Safe Mode: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Please check your startup folder for any malicious items. To do so: start>run>msconfig>startup

Run HiJackThis to see if this is a Norton error or malware. Neither seem likely...

{removed link} 

[edit: Posted links must load a webpage that offers the file for download, we do not permit links directly to executable downloads.]

Message Edited by Allen_K on 11-12-2008 05:20 PM
=\
Kudos0

Re: Floating_Red's post:

I bought NIS 2008 at a Walmart store.  PC is a few years old and I have Windows Vista Home Premium.

Step 4. of your recommended action has a link for instructions on doing a Full Scan in Safe Mode.  Symantec does not have any Safe Mode instructions for Vista.  Are there any?

Also, is the Full Scan done first with Malewarebytes, then Norton? 

As of now my Tasks & Scans is not accessible since my NIS subscription has somehow expired after 5 months.

Kudos0

Instructions for Starting in Safe Mode with Windows' Vista:  http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a-5c58eec904a11033.mspx.  You may need to Copy and Paste this in to your Address Bar.Please Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Safe Mode.Message Edited by Floating_Red on 11-13-2008 03:38 PMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 11-13-2008 04:11 PMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 11-13-2008 04:13 PMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 11-13-2008 04:16 PM
Kudos0

These are the "Norton" Pop Ups I'm still getting:

This one popped up first on Nov. 10/08 as I was closing my Internet Explorer 6 browser (my operating system is Vista Home Premium).  It popped up once yesterday (while browsing) and again today (not browsing).   Alt F4 can't close it only shutting down or restarting does.

As soon as the above popped up, the Norton Protection Centre icon got an X.  The Tabs were changed as follows:

The Scan Now, View History and Options are working and the Firewall seems to be blocking intrusions.  However I can't access the Tasks & Scans, Settings, nor the Reports and Statistics.

On Nov. 11/08, a day after the "Renew Subscription" pop up, I got the following one from "Live Update".  It's been popping up everyday, occasionally, while on the internet and off.  On Tues.  Alt F4 closed it.  On Wed. and today pressing Alt F4 activated the "Live Update in Progress" box, Alt F4 couln't close it. Clicking on the X or "Cancel" brought up a box from "Live Update   Abort Request", clicked on Yes and the update stopped processing and after 10-15 sec. it disappears.  This occured only when not connected to the internet. Here are the above-described pop ups (the "i" or upsidedown exclamation mark looks a little strange):

When I first installed NIS 2008 in June (had NIS2006 & 07 before this), I was prompted by Symantec to upgrade to NIS2009 but I chose the option to decline.

Are these legitimate Norton/Symantec pop ups or malware?

Kudos0

Hi tron834,

The screenshots appear to be legitimate, but I may have missed something. And, admittedly I've never seen these screens as my subscription has never run out.

Although there have been numerous posts on the topic, the best way to resolve a subscription issue is to contact Online Customer Service .

I would do that before clicking on anything.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

How you done a Full Scan with Malwarebytes yet in Safe Mode?  If so, what were the Results of the Scan?

Kudos0

Phil_D wrote:

The screenshots appear to be legitimate, but I may have missed something. And, admittedly I've never seen these screens as my subscription has never run out.

Shouldn't the whole Norton Product Disable it-self as it is Norton 2008 Product?

Also, notice how it is just Check for Updates is Displayed.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 11-14-2008 11:43 AM
Kudos0

Hi

Just trying to think back to when I had NIS2008,The  colours were always black and orange? I don't remember the blue trim?Correct Me if I'm wrong(relying on the memory )

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

mo wrote:

Hi

Just trying to think back to when I had NIS2008,The  colours were always black and orange? I don't remember the blue trim?Correct Me if I'm wrong(relying on the memory )

Hi mo,

It was differnent for Windows' Vista; the blue "trim" was Windows' Vista's Design for Norton 2008 Products.Message Edited by Floating_Red on 11-14-2008 11:32 AM
Kudos0

Thanks Red

Kudos0

Phil_D wrote:

Hi tron834,

Although there have been numerous posts on the topic, the best way to resolve a subscription issue is to contact Online Customer Service .

I would do that before clicking on anything.

Great Suggestion! This is indeed what tron834 should do.

Kudos0

I think the "Message Subject" that I have chosen is misrepresenting my problem/issues.

My primary issue is whether the above Pop Ups are authentic/legitimate from Norton/Symantec.  The subscription issue is secondary. 

Only after I received the first "Subscription Expired" pop up, many functions of my NIS2008 for Vista were disabled (i.e., full system scan, logs,etc.), but, View History works which shows me that the firewall is blocking intrusions, I hope).  If my subscription had expired, then everything should be disabled, but it' not.  The message on the Home Tab states "Norton Internet Security has a licence or subscription problem".  a licence problem? seems strange to me.

Real or Fake LiveUpdate:

The alert symbol, an 'i" or is it an upsidedown exclamation mark, in a blue circle looks strange. Isn't Live Update installation done when you first install NIS, and what is sent later are Live Update Notices with the options on when to run it?  (I wish I would have taken screen shots of all the authentic screens while my NIS was working normally!)  Also, when I try to close the box below with Alt F4, it activates the live update.

****Can someone take a screen shot next time they get a Live Update notice?

Regarding the Live Update Pop Up below, as far as I remember there were always 3 items being shown at the same time (Check for Updates, Download Updates and Process Updates).  The screen shot of the pop up I'm getting, shown below, always shows only one item.

***Can someone with a working NIS 2008 with Vista Home Premium run live update and compare with the pop up below?

tron834

NIS 2008

Windows Vista Home Premium

Internet Explorer 6 or 7 (not sure)

Kudos0

That blue icon is legit. It also appears in N360.

And that LiveUpdate screenie, second one, is legit. 

Lets focus on the License Key rather than software. 

• You say you brought it from Wal-Mart.  
  • Was the packaging broken?
  • Someone could have easily broke the package and copied the license key, sealed it up, and returned it. You only need a piece of clear plastic tape. Simple. And the license key is on a sheet of paper inside the box.
  • They probably used the key, and then you brought it. Then, the key probably got blacklisted because Wal-Mart reported that no one brought that paticular key, however he is using a legit key. That would explain the "License problem".
  • I would suggest ... well I dont really know.
  • I guess you could try to explain to Wal-Mart.
  • Symantec Support isn't a bad idea either.
Message Edited by Tech0utsider on 11-15-2008 12:59 PM
=\
Kudos0

After I get pop up BOX 1 (when I'm on and off the Internet) I try to close it with Alt F4 but instead BOX 2 shows up.

I clicked on "Run LiveUpdate" in NIS2008 and I got BOX 3.

Clearly, BOX 2 and BOX3 are not the same:

BOX 2 says "Checking for available updates to installed products" and it shows one "Item".

BOX 3 says "Attempting to connect to Live Update server" and it shows 3 "Items".

Why are BOX 2 and BOX 3 different?

BOX 1:

BOX 2:

BOX 3:

tron834

NIS2008

Windows Vista Home Premium

Internet Explorer 6/7?

Kudos0

• Is installation successful?
  • Just click ok to "Box 1". And restart. Maybe it is trying to update your license information!!! =).
  • All the screenies you grabbed are legit. No need to worry.
  • Report back with the results of clicking "ok" with each of the screenies.
Have you tried contacting Symantec support and asked them specfic info. on your paticular product key? Have you contacted wally world?
=\
Kudos0

BOX 2 and BOX 3: Are they both from the same Norton Product?
Kudos0

Yes, they are.

All he needs to do really is contact Symantec and ask them about this product key and its properities....

=\
Kudos0

Tech0utsider wrote:

Yes, they are.

All he needs to do really is contact Symantec and ask them about this product key and its properities....

Thanks for answering, but I still want the User who is having these Issues to answer me.

Kudos0

Well, they look alike..

And you can't install two instances of Norton IS on the same comp...Norton wil detect the other installation. 

=\
Kudos0

Hi,

Just a question, what is date does your system clock show?

jAW

Kudos0

I think that he dumped Norton or his computer was confiscated by the authorities for using an invalid key...

Good point Jaw, however Norton keeps itself updated via an internal clock and automatic sync with Symantec servers. 

=\
Kudos0

Tech_Outsider, I checked my subscription status and Symantec responded that I have just under 200 days remaining in my subscription, so it's not a licencing issue; the product key is associated with my computer.  So my subscription should be active.

Floating_Red, that's exactly what I'm trying to find out -- are the two boxes from Norton since there are visible differences in the boxes and also how I got them.

I'm concerned because the pop ups regarding expired subscription and live update wouldn't close except by shutting down/restarting my PC.  I wouldn't think that Norton would set it up that way.

What is ThreatCon?

Kudos0

Hello tron834,

Have you contacted Customer Service yet? What were your results?

Kudos0

Well you could try a uninstall and then upgrade to 09. That might fix inconsistancies between the LiveUpdate windows and your licensing issue. Yes, those LiveUpdate pop-ups are from the same program.

The Symantec ThreatCon rating is a measurement of the global threat exposure, delivered as part of Symantec DeepSight Threat Management System.

ThreatCon Level 2
Medium : Increased alertness
This condition applies when knowledge or the expectation of attack activity is present, without specific events occurring or when malicious code reaches a moderate risk rating. Under this condition, a careful examination of vulnerable and exposed systems is appropriate, security applications should be updated with new signatures and/or rules as soon as they become available and careful monitoring of logs is recommended. Changes to the security infrastructure are not required.
=\
Kudos0

A funny thing happened.....

After I checked the status of my subscription by clicking on Subscription (in my NIS2008 Norton Protection Centre Home Tab), and checking off “I have already purchased.......check my subscription status.”,  I found out my subscription was active but I still had a red X on my NIS icon.

So the next day I decided to send an e-mail to Symantec, Customer Support.  After filling in the requested information, I selected a subject related to subscriptions from the provided list of subjects.  When I went to send, it automatically redirected me to a page entitled “Synchronize with the Symantec server to fix the subscription problem in your Norton 2008 product.It instructs on how to check the status of the subscription, which is what I did.

When I closed the internet connection, I was surprised to see that my subscription was reinstated except the protection updates were from 2007 and the phishing wasn’t turned on.  After doing a Live Update which took a while to complete, everything was up to date and the next day after a live update, the phishing protection showed it was secure.

Here is the link where I was redirected and that provided instructions.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norton2008.nsf/pfdocs/2007072102313079

Since Symantec has a prepared solution, I’m assuming this has happened before. 

Kudos0

Might want to run a scan to see if there is any malware; the updates were outdated.

Report back to us if there is any malware on your system with your new updates. 

=\
Kudos0

After the NIS2008 updates and daily LiveUpdates, no malware found.  Also Windows Defender, updated, shows no malware.

I have some additional questions.

1.  After I uninstalled and then re-installed NIS2008, I noticed rules were automatically created for “System” and the status was protected. 

At the time I didn’t know how to take a screen shot so I wrote down the Advanced Details, as listed below:

Program Name:  System

Program Path:  System

Default Action:  Learn Application

Action Taken:  Learn Application

Local Computer:  ###.###.#.#,$$$  (my IP address plus three numbers ($$$))

Remote Computer:  ###.###.#.#??,$$$  (my IP address with the ?? being two additional numbers)

Traffic Description:  Outbound UDP, $$$

System was allowed to communicate with ###.###.#.#??,$$$.

Recommended Action:  Learn Application

Actions:  No action available for this item.

2.  Since I noticed “remote computer” and the “program path” is not specified, I blocked the program System as shown in the screen shot below by going directly into Program Control and I added the remote computer address to the Internet Explorer 7 Restricted Sites since I couldn’t add it to the list of blocked computers in NIS2008.

I haven’t noticed any difficulties with my computer as a result of blocking System.  Also Microsoft/Windows Vista Help doesn’t have any explanations.

Any ideas what this is?  I didn’t have “System” on the list of programs in NIS2008 Program Control before I uninstalled and reinstalled NIS2008.  What is a “Learn Application”?  How come the remote computer had my IP address with two additional numbers? Also in the Windows Event Viewer under Auditing, the notice below has been showing for awhile.  Is it related to the “System” that I blocked?  

Description:

Special privileges assigned to new logon.

Subject:

Security ID:                         SYSTEM

Account Name:                 SYSTEM

Account Domain:                             NT AUTHORITY

Logon ID:                             #@#@#

Privileges:                           SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege

SeTcbPrivilege

SeSecurityPrivilege

SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege

SeLoadDriverPrivilege

SeBackupPrivilege

SeRestorePrivilege

SeDebugPrivilege

SeAuditPrivilege

SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege

SeImpersonatePrivilege

Message Edited by tron834 on 11-26-2008 10:48 AM
Kudos0

When you install a New Version of N.I.S. or you just un-install then re-install your Norton Security Product, the Firewall will have to Learn how Applications Access the Internet in order to Protect you, e.g. what Port(s) it uses, it is Out-bound or does the Application require Out-bound access also?

And with the two addintional numbers: That can only be the Port that it uses I can only think of just now...

Kudos0

Shouldn't the Program Path always show the drive and folders that a program is in and also the program's name and extension?

All other programs that I have in NIS2008 Program Control show the path and the program name with it's extension, except for "System"!  (as shown in the screen shot below)

What does System do? 

Does anyone have this in their Program Control?

Kudos0

I had System listed when I used N360. It never was clear to me why 'System' needed internet access. If you blocked it, and everything still works fine, then go ahead and keep it blocked.

Since you have NIS08, you may wish to upgrade to 09. 

=\
Kudos0

Hi All

I have system just as it is shown in your screen shot.I always assumed it was part of Windows operating system??But i can't explain this which has been with my laptop since it was fixed.

I have asked about this in a previous thread but here is a screen shot of more details

Any ideas,Thanks in advance

Kudos0

Mo,

Do you have "System" listed in your Personal Firewall Program Control? 

You probably don't since NIS2009 is blocking it.  I didn't have it before my "subscription expired" problem.

In my case, NIS2008 created rules automatically for System after I had uninstalled then reinstalled NIS due to an unexplained "subscription expired" that I had for a few days.

Strange.....  My reinstalled NIS after subscription synchronization had intrusion prevention from Oct./Nov. 2007 (before I ran updates) which maybe let this System through.  Whereas, NIS2009 and updated NIS2008 are blocking it.

This means I have it in my files, eventhough I have blocked it's access. 

Does anyone know what "System" is/does?

tron834

NIS2008

Vista Home Premium

IE7

Kudos0

Hi tron834

Yes system is in my program control,I think it is part of windows but not exactly sure of which part,maybe you need to start a new thread with that as the title.Or a moderator could do it.Just to give it more exposure.NIS is automatically blocking my system from sharing files,but I don't know why other than a wild guess when it was repaired it was linked to another computer and is trying to re communicate. If this is so could someone tell me how to stop it.

I had NIS2008 before I upgraded and this System was still doing the same thing.But I am new to computers so I'm still learning whats ok/normal and whats not.

Message Edited by mo on 11-27-2008 02:37 PM
Kudos0

From Mo's post, System seems to be Windows File Sharing. Disabling it will block WFS. If your computer is on a network, then it is best for it to be on.

It is normal for it to be there. Maybe it was placed there from updated definitions obtained by LiveUpdate. Remember, you said that your defs were actually 5 months old =/

=\

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.