• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Safe Web Icons not rendering properly - NIS 2012

Hi all:

I was using Google with their website preview pane in IE 8.

Notice how the Norton Safe Web icons are truncated on the right side...

Here are the icons whith the Website Preview Pane in action...

Is this a Google issue or a Safe Web icon placement issue?

I wanted to bring it to the attention of the developers.

Hope this helps.

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Safe Web Icons not rendering properly - NIS 2012

Hi all:

I was using Google with their website preview pane in IE 8.

Notice how the Norton Safe Web icons are truncated on the right side...

Here are the icons whith the Website Preview Pane in action...

Is this a Google issue or a Safe Web icon placement issue?

I wanted to bring it to the attention of the developers.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

OK, here's what I've found so far in my investigations of the "disappearing" icon at the end of the title line for some result items on a Google Search Results webpage - when users view the page with IE8 (and possibly IE7).

Google have modified their results pages when MSIE8 users go to Google to search.  The results now show approximately half the page (the left half) as result items- leaving the other half of the page (the right half) for the flyout "more details" frame that appears from Google when you hover your mouse over the body of each result item.

What this means, is that *if* the title line for that particular result item is longer than the number of characters it takes to fill the left frame, then the "green checkmark" or "red x" or "gold checkmark" or "grey question mark" shows underneath the overlying frame for the "more details" result.

The above means that hovering over the "green checkmark" (or any of the other items added by Norton Safe Web to the end of each result item's Title Line) is impossible - because the "green checkmark" (or whatever) is overlaid by the "more details" frame.

You can prove this by adjusting the text size in Internet Explorer.  Selecting "Smaller" in the "Text Size" option for MSIE8 will allow the "green checkmark" as well as all the details of a normal Google Result item - to reappear at the end of the Title Line.  With that change in place, hovering over the Symantec  item works fine.  Selecting "Larger" in the "Text Size" option for MSIE8 will display the problem as described for a large percentage of the Result Items.

Furthermore, if you put the text size back to "Medium" and view a large number of results, you will eventually see a Title Line  that only shows 1/2 or 1/3 of a "green checkmark".  Regardless of the small size of the "green checkmark", hovering over that checkmark still allows a flyout with the Symantec Details for that particular Google Result to be displayed.  This implies  Google's "More Details" frame is just an overlay - with the standard full-results occluded by the overlay-frame.

Things to do:

1. Symantec could add intelligence to the Norton Safe Web display engine such that the Google Result's Title Line when viewed in MSIE8 is truncated sufficiently to show a "green checkmark" regardless of the size and position of Google's "more details" flyout frame.  IOW, automatic compensation for the various"Text Size" options.  Note: Might be more trouble than it's worth.

2. Symantec could add intelligence to the Norton Safe Web display engine such that the "green checkmark" (which shows properly in the "more details" flyout)  will properly result in a Norton Safe Web overlay when the mouse pointer is hovered over the "green checkmark" in Google's "more details" flyout.  Note: The Mouse Pointer properly turns into a hand when it is hovered over the "green checkmark" in Google's "more details" flyout.  It's just that the Symantec overlay doesn't show in Google's "more details" frame and is thusly unavailable to the user.

3. Google could redesign their MSIE8 display logic for the "more details" item such that there was a "tab line" at the top of the screen which allowed the user to adjust where on the page the divider between the main Result Item and the "more details" frame is displayed on that particular user's page (with the result saved in a cookie to make the adjustment permanent until the user changed it again).  This would allow the user to control where the dividing line took place.  Each user could then set the divider as desired such that the Symantec "green checkmark" would be able to be seen if the user wished - at the expense of the size of Google's "more details" frame.

Hope this helps improve Symantec's products.

Kudos0

Thanks twixt for your detailed study on this and your valuble suggestions.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi.

Twixt and I are exibiting the same issues.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Latest-wrinkles-with-Norton-Safe-Web-and-Google-Search-results/td-p/549732

Could Symantec kindly advise?

Thanks,

Kudos0

Hi.

Could other people confirm this, aside from twxit, so action could be taken?

Thanks,

Kudos0

Usually it is a Google issue.  It has been reported previously.  

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi delphinium,

Thanks for your response.

Can anything be done to correct this (on the part of Symantec?)

Kudos0

Not if it is Google.  It should sort out in a day or two.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi All,

Looks like a google website issue to me.  It displays fine for me in IE-8.

Many websites (due to poor web developing) will not render properly with certain screen resolutions.  Even the choice of one's browser can cause things to appear differently on the screen if the web developer does not take the time to view their website using different browsers and screen resolutions and making the necessary adjustments to the page coding.

BTW...What is your screen resolution?  I am using 1600 x 900.  With IE-8 set at 125%.

Cricket

Kudos0

@ spywriter 007:

Still having this issue.

Using XP, SP3, IE 8.

Default setting for Zoom, at 100%

Default setting for text size, Medium.

Resolution - 1440x900

Hope this info helps!

Kudos0

@ Symantec,

Any action regarding this thread?

TIA,

Kudos0

Hi.

I know it's minor in the scheme of things, but an update from Symantec would be appreciated.

Note the date on my above post.

Kudos0

Hello all,

Just for yr info, issue is not only concerning IE7 and IE8

I'm using Win7 Sp1

Browser:  IE9

Zoom      125%

Text size Small

Resolution 1920x1080 on a 22' monitor wide

Same problems

Sandro

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.