• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Norton Scan Context Menue Missing NIS2014

I have Total Commander File Manager and there is Norton Scan Item in Context Menu missing...

i installed NIS2014 two times but Context Menu is gone.. in Total Commander ! Not in Windows Explorer

i can not scan Files/Folders inside Total Commander...

With NIS2013 there is no Problem..

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Scan Context Menue Missing NIS2014

I have Total Commander File Manager and there is Norton Scan Item in Context Menu missing...

i installed NIS2014 two times but Context Menu is gone.. in Total Commander ! Not in Windows Explorer

i can not scan Files/Folders inside Total Commander...

With NIS2013 there is no Problem..

Kudos0

Try reinstalling Total Commander. It may need to detect the current AV product during installation.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Confirmed, I have the same issue/bug.

This is in 2014 beta build 100 and in the released 21.0.1.3 too.

Total Commander 8.01 32bit

Windows 7 SP1 32bit.

Kudos0

Nice try...Total Commander Reinstall has nothing to do with File Folder Context Menu , after TC 801 Reinstall Norton Scan/Insight  is not in the Context Menu...

i try now the workaround with File Folder Send To -> Navw32.exe

But i think its a clear NIS2014 Bug !

Kudos0

Hi Voyager10 & tbalint444444,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Could you please post a screenshot which shows the Context Menu with Total Commander?

I've sent you a Private Message (requesting logs. If you're able to send them, that would be great. Thanks.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi Mohan,

Screenshot from Total Commander:

Screenshot from Windows Explorer:

I have replied to your PM.

Kudos0

@Mohan_G

Screen with Total Commander, the problem is clearly marked in the picture.

http://s14.directupload.net/images/130911/hiwcp8ee.jpg

Screen with Windows Explorer

http://s7.directupload.net/images/130911/qn6oytsk.jpg

try now Log Tool and upload this later...

Kudos0

Hi Mohan,

I have uploaded the captured log files, the uploaded file name: Unknownb4efb4e6.zip

Kudos0

Hi Voyager10 & tbalint444444,

Thank you for the quick response. I got the logs and our team is looking into it.

Kudos0

Mohan, same problem (Norton Scan Context Menue Missing) in NAV 2014 when using "Turbo Navigator" and "Free Commander".  Context Menu okay in Windows Explorer, but, not to be found in the foregoing two progs.  XP Pro / Sp3.

Kudos0

Hi Carl,

I've sent you a Private Message (requesting logs. If you're able to send them, that would be great. Thanks.

Kudos0

Mohan,

Got your PM and I'll take a look at it.  Not sure I like the SymNRA process as described ... but, I'll check it out when I have time.

FYI, installed NAV 2104 on a 2nd XP Pro Sp3 computer (my trusty old Thinkpad 600X anno 11-1999!) and I have the same type context menu problems.  Right click works in Windows Explorer but not in my other (favored) file managers.  So, this seems to be a problem not related to one particular computer.

Kudos0

i think its the same Problem with "all other" File Manager Software , there are NO NIS Scan Context .. this Context Menu (scan & Insight) only works with Windows Explorer.

The Symantec Engineering Team can also reproduce this Bug and look into it , its not a issue on one particular computer  ;)

Kudos0

The Symantec Engineering Team can also reproduce this Bug and look into it , its not a issue on one particular computer...

Sounds like a better idea, imo.  Both my NAV 2014 installs were 'clean', i.e., I uninstalled NAV 2012 and ran NRT and removed some leftovers manually.  Perhaps this removed a context menu setting in the registry, dunno.

Kudos0

Mohan, just installed NAV-ESD-21.0.2-EN and still no Norton Scan (right click) Context Menu on non-Explorer file managers.  What's up?  Best.

Kudos0

Can agree with CeeBee !

No Norton Context Menu with Total Commander , installed yesterday NIS-ESD-21.0.2-GE.exe .

Also , inside NIS-ESD-21.0.2-GE there are old Firefox AddOns , Toolbar is not compatible with FF 24.

Kudos0

Confirmed, same here.

NIS 21.0.2.1 RTM still have the issue as well as the latest beta version 21.1.0.5.

Kudos0

The updated version 21.0.2.1 was not designed to solve the issues you are seeing. See Tony's post here  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-amp-NAV-21-0-2-1-Product-Update/m-p/1027073#U1027073

Kudos0

The updated version 21.0.2.1 was not designed to solve the issues you are seeing.

I know all about it Peter, but, imho, it would have been a good thing to fix this issue at the same time.  Best.

Things happen.  Keep a current image of your drive offline...  

Kudos0

Hi CeeBee, No problem, We were able to reproduce this issue in-house and the team is looking into it... Thanks for getting back to me

Hello Mohan,

You told me back on September 13th that you were able to reproduce the problem in-house!  Any news/progress since then?  As I use non-Windows Explorer file managers to 99%, I would be pleased to get an affirmative reply asap.

Currently my fallback is to use Malwarebytes when I need to right-click-scan a suspicious file.  As a NAV 2014 user, this makes no sense, does it?

Best.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi CeeBee,

Sorry for not getting back sooner and thanks for your patience.

I just got an update from the team.

Third-Party Explorer Shells (Like Total Commander File Manager) are no longer supported for this feature in Norton v21.

Kudos0

I just got an update from the team.  Third-Party Explorer Shells (Like Total Commander File Manager) are no longer supported for this feature in Norton v21.

Hi Mohan,

Thanks for the update, albeit a bad one.  A bit surprised here ... as most of the time I'm fighting to remove Context Menu entries!  It seems everyone (except Norton, that is) wants a piece of that real estate.

I'm already running with NVP disabled, as it doesn't coexists with my old version Thunderbird (can't click-start Firefox), and, now this.  I still have 230+ days subscription left on my 3PC NAV 2014 package, so, I hope your team reconsiders in time.

To sum it up, flabbergasted is probably a better expression than surprised!  Best.

Kudos0

I just got an update from the team. Third-Party Explorer Shells  (Like Total Commander File Manager) are no longer supported for this feature in Norton v21.

As a postscript, let me add that I use three 2-panel file managers, Free Commander, Turbo Navigator and (as a backup) PowerDesk.  Under your new no-support policy, the right-click menu looks like this:

Too bad that Scan with Norton is no longer an option.  Best.

Kudos0

Mohan_G wrote:

Hi CeeBee,

Third-Party Explorer Shells (Like Total Commander File Manager) are no longer supported for this feature in Norton v21.

Mohan

Did the team offer a reason? 

Just curious, as the images from CeeBee show MBAM and SAS still supporting this feature.

Kudos0

Mohan_G wrote:

Why ?! Is there a plausible explanation.

But its not True , the Explorer Shell (Total Commander) support Symantec AV context menu...

you just make it compatible in Norton v21...  !

Kudos0

Mohan_G wrote:

I am too disappointed with this change.

And also would like to why it is not supported now (in v21)?

Kudos0

Mohan_G wrote:

Hi CeeBee,

Also disappointed. Having a right-click option in the context menu in SpeedCommander 14 was very useful. I can still do a custom scan of a single file, several files, or folders, but it has now become a tedious chore to bring up the main NIS 21.1.0.18 interface and click on several menu options before I'm able to perform a scan.

I hope this feature comes back in a future version of NIS.

Win 10 x64 Pro, Norton Security 22.6.0.142, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 2.21 (licensed), SUPERAntiSpywareProfessional 6.0.1216 (licensed), Intel i7-4790K, 32gb DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX TITAN Black (2), Samsung EVO 250gb SSD, WD 2tb Enterprise optical data drive.
Kudos0

Since the content menu is correct in Windows Explorer, perhaps the third-party file managers need to correctly reproduce the content menu?

By as a work around, why not just make a shortcut to navw32.exe in the "send to" folder?

It works for me, granted you will have to redo the shortcut after version changes but it's better than nothing.

Dave

Kudos0

DaveH wrote:

Since the content menu is correct in Windows Explorer, perhaps the third-party file managers need to correctly reproduce the content menu?

By as a work around, why not just make a shortcut to navw32.exe in the "send to" folder?

It works for me, granted you will have to redo the shortcut after version changes but it's better than nothing.

Dave

Many thanks, Dave. This workaround does the trick for me. I'd forgotten that I used the same workaround a few years ago for an older version of NIS.
Win 10 x64 Pro, Norton Security 22.6.0.142, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 2.21 (licensed), SUPERAntiSpywareProfessional 6.0.1216 (licensed), Intel i7-4790K, 32gb DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX TITAN Black (2), Samsung EVO 250gb SSD, WD 2tb Enterprise optical data drive.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.