• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Security 2015 question

Just a question. I have norton  Antivirus right now. I have 43 days left of my subscription. So today from Wal-Mart i brought Norton Security. It said it doesn't have CD inside. You download and activate it with a enclosed card. So i download it from the site? Do they not come with Discs now? Do i need to download it now?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 2015 question

I'm not sure if they never come with disks now or not but you're better off downloading anyway because the version on the disk never gets updated.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hi Patcher32, Welcome!

I think they have sold you only a product key for activation.
You can download NS and activate it with the product key, but not knowing the retailer Wal-Mart, it would be appropriate to have a confirmation from someone who knows dealer and if it is reliable.
I suggest you to come back to this thread to get a confirmation on how to proceed.

Sandro
Kudos0

Oops, sorry Krusty, we posted at the same time and I did not see your message.

Sandro
Kudos0

Okay Thanks!

Kudos0

Just a note that if you activate your new product, you will lose the remaining time on your old Norton Antivirus subscription.

You might try contacting Norton Support via online chat and ask if they can add the two subscriptions together.  www.norton.com/chat  Not sure if this works for NAV but it is worth a try.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I've always had a down disc with it Nortn when i brought it before. But thanks

Kudos0

True point. Thinking not installing this till my other one runs out.

Kudos0

Patches32:

I've always had a down disc with it Nortn when i brought it before. But thanks

It has been the normal with store purchases but for a long time Amazon and certain other retailers have been offering a Download Only product which is genuine and originates with Norton so it's not something that is being stored by people you don't know ....

Later on it has the real advantage that the original disk issue is normally never updated over the life of the product and so after installation can need a lot of updating after a few months from the original release -- in this case in September -- and since some of the updating is not just the "definitions" but changes to engines which can involve uninstalling a bit and installing a replacement and then updating about the changes there's potential for corruption.

With online sources that are authorized by Norton you buy the product and get sent a KEY. Looking at the Amazon website now and you will see for Norton Security:

Platform: PC/Mac/Mobile Download Code

PC/Mac/Mobile Download Code

PC/Mac/Mobile Key Card

so they aren't even offering a disk version .....

Hugh
Kudos0

Okay thank you for your answer!!! I understand now!  I just download it online & type in the product Key just like i would with the dis anyways.

Kudos0

Patches,

That sounds right! It used to be that Amazon included the key with the order confirmation and, I think, gave a link to download from. But I've not done that myself so I'm reporting what others have said.

Please let us know exactly how it went for you when you did it!

Hugh
Kudos0

Ok so you haven't downloaded it yet ?! I haven't downloaded it either. I'll let you know it it works if/when i do it. I'm sure it's simply enough ha

Kudos0

Be aware that (at least this was my experience) downloading from Norton site immediately installs the new version after removing the old. You apparently cannot save the download do disc for later installation. So I would not do so until a day or so before your current license runs out.

Kudos1 Stats

You CAN save the .exe.  If you use Internet Explorer just choose Save, NOT Run.

www.norton.com/latestns

www.norton.com/latestnsbu

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Okay! Thanks!!!

Kudos0

Yeah, That is what i plan on doing. Might be a wise idea!!

Kudos0

Patches32:

Ok so you haven't downloaded it yet ?! I haven't downloaded it either. I'll let you know it it works if/when i do it. I'm sure it's simply enough ha

Famous last words....

Are you buying from Amazon or from Norton? If from Amazon have you bought it yet? If so how did it proceed? Did it offer a download through their system, but as I said using Norton Servers, or just the choice of getting the Key via email or on a piece of cardboard presumably via snail mail?

It's not clear from the layout of the webpage I saw.

BTW I always use Save As rather than Save since Save As gives me the choice of where and I often create a folder under Downloads called Norton. I hope what you download and Save is more than a download manager .... I've experienced that on occasions in the past.

Hugh
Kudos0

I brought the Norton Security DVD case from Wal-Mart.  It said No Cd inside. Download & activate enclosed card

Kudos0

I was told i shouldn't download this till my old one is done.

Kudos0

Patches32:

I brought the Norton Security DVD case from Wal-Mart.  It said No Cd inside. Download & activate enclosed card

Thanks -- that's the same wording as on one of the Amazon choices.

Keep an eye open for messages in the thread here:

https://community.norton.com/forums/wal-mart-and-norton-security-norton-security-bu 

on whether checkout at Walmart actually activated the product when you checked out. Did your box have a label stuck on it saying anything about this, as described in the above thread.

I'm sure you need not be worried about losing days since the Norton Management is checking out on what is happening as you can see from Tony Weiss's messages in that thread. 

Hugh
Kudos0

Patches32:

I was told i shouldn't download this till my old one is done.

If that's to me, then yes that is correct since it is a new product not an upgrade and so as a new product it wipes out the unexpired time .... although there are indications that once you install and activate NS/NSwBU then the Support time will add the time back in.

But more important still, they are at early days and there are plenty of things that wise people are waiting to change before they install.

What version of Windows are you using? 

Hugh
Kudos0

Yeah,  I'M using Windows 7.

Kudos0

it keeps saying my  number is wrong

Kudos0

When i tired to download it just now, It keeps saying my product key is invalid or the number is being used on another E-mail.   I tired typing it a few times and it's not working. It's telling me to buy another Number. ( Can't afford too). What do i do now? #60 dollars down the drain.

Kudos0

krissy31:

When i tired to download it just now, It keeps saying my product key is invalid or the number is being used on another E-mail.   I tired typing it a few times and it's not working. It's telling me to buy another Number. ( Can't afford too). What do i do now? #60 dollars down the drain.

Hi krissy 31,

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums .

I'd contact the Customer Support who should be able to help you. Live Chat is often the quickest way: www.norton.com/chat   - It will put you in touch with your local support if you are outside the USA.

Keep us posted.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

When you are entering the product key, do not enter any spaces or dashes. 

Kudos0

Thanks.

Kudos0

Ok.

Kudos0

Patches32:

it keeps saying my  number is wrong

As Rainbow suggests .... Contact Norton's OnLine CHAT Support that uses your computer keyboard, not the phone. They have the tools to sort out this kind of problem and access to the databases .... 

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks for all your help everyone. I already tired that. by E-mail they never answered me. I returned it & got my money back. Going to check out another store that sells Norton that comes with the CD!

Kudos0

Patches32:

Thanks for all your help everyone. I already tired that. by E-mail they never answered me. I returned it & got my money back. Going to check out another store that sells Norton that comes with the CD!

The OnLine CHAT service does not use email (which is reported to be terrible) but goes through an internet connection using the Norton Servers:

Click on this link https://www.norton.com/chat and work on from there.

I hope you can find a copy of the new NS/NSwBU on CD .... at the moment I don't know if it comes that way or not! We are waiting to hear more form the Norton Management.

I'm glad you got your money back but CHAT might have been able to find out why you, and others here, seem to be having problems with the downloaded versions.

Hugh
Kudos0

I wounder if i should have downloaded Norton Security the day i brought it? Would that have made any differences? I never had problems with Norton in the past. Always worked for me. I usually brought Norton head of time. I wasn't paying attention at the store didn't notice it had no CD. Well i hope Norton will put it on CD form.

Yeah i don't like the help with it over phone. Chat help been better. But before i got told to buy a new number.

Kudos1 Stats

Krissy

I don't know that when you downloaded would have made a difference. There are some other reports so it may be something more fundamental and if so I'm sure Norton will turn it up especially now they are looking at what happens in the real world out here .... <gdr>

I can see why Norton could have decided to abandon physical media altogether (although if so it would have been a good idea to have announced it and even made a plus factor of it) and that is that most of the devices they are marketing too at present don't have optical drives -- netbooks, ultraslim notebooks, tablets, phones ..... -- and that the disks are always out of date and with data downloads being charged for on such devices massive updating is costly for the user. Remember that when netbooks first came in they had to bring out a netbook edition of the Norton product back then, on thumbdrive. Add to that that everyone wants instant gratification and not waiting for USPS or UPS and the cost add-on ......

So I can see it makes sense -- but not to vaunt it as a plus factor ...... wake up at the back!

Hugh
Kudos0

I totally understand & get that! It does make lots of sense. I just would have rather had the software on CD form. It would have been nice if they  announced it. I had no idea they didn't put out Norton Antivirus. I didn't find it. 

Kudos0

krissy31:

I totally understand & get that! It does make lots of sense. I just would have rather had the software on CD form. It would have been nice if they  announced it. I had no idea they didn't put out Norton Antivirus. I didn't find it. 

Have a look at the message above at https://community.norton.com/comment/6015161#comment-6015161  since it seems you can use the appropriate URL to download and if you tell Windows to Save As rather than Run or Save you can tell it to store the downloaded file where you find it convenient.

I'm not sure myself if the downloaded exe file is just a download manager or a fairly complete installation file. 

Hugh
Kudos0

I have always gotten a DVD with my Norton subscription and insist on it. In fact, I DEMAND it, so I'll be downloading the file and burning it to a permanent DVD along with a text file with the code. I'm not worried about the latest version as Norton does updates easily enough from their site or from within the program. IMHO this is a cheap sleazy move by Symantec to save the cost of a lousy DVD. :/  Been a Symantec customer since about 1998 so I'm very disappointed in this "cost saving" move. I'm also disappointed in Symantec for not offering rebates for the first time. I'll be getting the 2015 version but this may be my last since virtually ALL of the competition has rebates.

Kudos2 Stats

Found Norton Security 2015 without backup at Newegg for $39.99 after a promo code. So I'll get the download file and tuck it away till my Norton 360 sub expires. But I'll definitely be burning that permanent CD.

Kudos2 Stats

Hello

It makes sense that Norton Security would be sold without a CD since for the first time, you are able to buy 1 program which is good for 5 installs which are not necessarily all desktop computers and laptops. NS is also good for tablets and smartphones. I know for sure that you can't put a cd into a smartphone and probably not into a tablet either. I know that the majority of people buying the program are going to use it in desktops and laptops.  It should have been announced or pointed out is the better term that there is no cd for those who are not thinking about using it on a smartphone.  I haven't tried it yet on my smartphone, but it can be used on it. I would think though that there are a lot of features that can't be used with a smartphone. A lot of programs are sold today without cds including online games.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos2 Stats

As floplot surmises, you do not actually install Norton Security on a phone or tablet. What you get is the license to use Norton Mobile Security on your devices. The level of protection and features available vary depending on the OS of your device.

Kudos0

Yeah! I'M one person who doesn't own a IPad or Smartphone. haha...

Kudos0

Good price & good idea

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.