• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Norton Security 22.19.8.65 Showing Intrusion Threats on Performance Graphs but not in the Security History under Intrusion Prevention.

Norton Security 22.19.8.65 Showing Intrusion Threats on Monthly Performance Graphs but not in the Security History under Intrusion Prevention.
Running Windows 10 Home on a new Machine, 2 months old.

This issue has happened to me twice. First was on September 18, 2019, the Performance Graphs showed two Intrusion Detentions and when I click on View Details it does not show anything in the Security History logs.  It then happened to me again yesterday on September 24, 2019.  On both days I compared my browser history and I visited sites that I normally frequent. Not that many sites either.  There is nothing in my event logs, nothing in any of the Norton Security logs, I have run full system scans etc... and have found nothing on my system.  The concern is that the only location Norton shows something wrong is in the Performance Graphs.  I basically open Norton then click on Performance, Then clock on Graphs and it shows the detection, when I click on the detection to take me to the details, in the pop-up info bubble it shows Date 9/24/2019 Intrusion Threats: 3 then I click on View Details and it takes me to the Security History logs under Intrusion Prevention and everything in there is only informational.  When I take an extract of that, this is all I see for that day:

Category: Intrusion Prevention
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Category,Default Action,Action Taken
9/24/2019 8:14:56 PM,Info,Intrusion Prevention has been enabled,Detected,No Action Required,Intrusion Prevention,No Action Required,No Action Required
9/24/2019 8:14:56 PM,Info,Intrusion Prevention Engine version: 9.0.2.1609 Definitions Set version: 20190924.061,Detected,No Action Required,Intrusion Prevention,No Action Required,No Action Required
9/24/2019 8:14:56 PM,Info,Intrusion Prevention is monitoring network traffic. Driver version: 17.2.0.341,Detected,No Action Required,Intrusion Prevention,No Action Required,No Action Required

It just shows the standard updates.  Where is Norton picking this up from?  Without further information, I cannot tell if this issue is with Norton or if it has truly blocked something.  And what that something is, I cannot tell because I don't have a detailed log.

I have also checked my router firewall logs and there is nothing in there either showing anything blocked.  

Is anyone else seeing this? Can anyone advise where else I might be able to look in the file system for logs that might not be seen through the Norton interface?  I searched everywhere in the file system I could think of and have found nothing.

Thanks,

Richard

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 22.19.8.65 Showing Intrusion Threats on Performance Graphs but not in the Security History under Intrusion Prevention.

FWIW....for example....my Intrusion Threats:

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 22.19.8.65 Showing Intrusion Threats on Performance Graphs but not in the Security History under Intrusion Prevention.

Right that is what I would expect to see, what was blocked and why? But it shows nothing like that second screen capture you sent, just the Info parts.  So I have not idea if it is my banking site, email site, etc... I could then at least know what the issue is or what site it is blocking but I have no information at all so I am at a loss if it is truly blocking and not logging or some odd false positive.  I also never see a Norton popup when I am on the browser.  Do you?  That is the other concern, usually the pop up on the bottom right hand of the screen will come up and notify you that it has done something. Do you see that in your case?

That is what makes me wonder if it is picking this up randomly somehow or just some false positive or if I need to reinstall Norton or something.  Other than this one issue, my system is working perfectly and Norton seems fine as well.

Thanks,

Richard

Kudos0

rmasso:

I also never see a Norton popup when I am on the browser.  Do you?  That is the other concern, usually the pop up on the bottom right hand of the screen will come up and notify you that it has done something. Do you see that in your case?

Yes....for example... Chrome

Kudos0

Um, have you checked Intrusion AutoBlock <info here>

Kudos0

Yes I checked all the settings and that was and has been set. I tried to attache an image but cannot see where to attach an image. But it is set exactly like your image above.

Thanks,

Richard

Kudos0

Right exactly, I have seen that sort of thing on my work computer before but not on my home machine (the one in question) and a pop up never came up and I am quite familiar with those, when I download a piece of software, I usually get the Norton File Insight pop up.  I also see the Norton is Performing background tasks while computer is idle messages as well, or when it finished performing background tasks, so I do notice those but nothing blocked at all as shown above.  I am using Firefox and I do have the Norton extensions on as well, I have Norton Safe Search and Safe Web and they are indeed enabled.  This is why I posted it makes me think that for some reason Norton thinks there was an attempt.  I imagine if it failed to block the attempt, I would see other block logs as well when I proceeded to an unsafe site etc...

Thanks,

Richard

Kudos0

>> How to post an image in the forums

Maybe, re-fresh Norton install n'or

Chat with Official Norton Support

n'or

Lets hear from Community

Safe Web page block may occur in lieu of an IPS Alert

If you want.
I can send you by PM.... for example URL.... to test w/wo Safe Web extension enabled. 

with Safe Web = Norton Safe Web page block
without Safe Web = Norton IPS Alert

Kudos0

Right but both are enabled so either one or the other should have blocked it right? And the assumption is that IPS blocked it due to the Intrusion Threat alert on the monthly report but nothing on the Security logs.  I am thinking of a Norton reinstall but want to see if anyone else is seeing a similar behavior.  I checked two other machines in my household and none of them show any blocks, one is a laptop that is almost always online.  Also the sites I go to on this machine are quite limited, as I mentioned before, banking, email, online utility company sites, that sort of thing. The few sites I visited recently are sites I have been to on multiple occasions for many years.

Is there any other place Norton could get a false positive but only for the monthly report? Meaning for example, there was never a malicious site or block, it just thinks so in the Monthly report, that is why I was trying to see where it picks up it's logs from.

Richard

Kudos0

Sorry, I seldom check Graphs. 

While we wait for Community (to see if anyone else is seeing a similar behavior).

Maybe, clear Intrusion Protection History and test ... for example URL ... w/wo Safe Web extension enabled.   
Just to see Norton work.  

Recent & Full History report IPS events. 
for example

Kudos0

Right those logs only show info for me.  The only place I see the detection is in the performance graph like your very first image. I am thinking it is a glitch, I would love to physically look at the log file where the performance graph picks up its information form but I cannot seem to find it.

I am on a chat with support and he thinks it might be a glitch and is noting it down.  I have asked them if they know where the log is located for it so we'll see if they know.  Again, per all of the above, I never had a blocked site or any other logs and everything is enabled.   Also, Firefox has decent protection built in as well to block sites and nothing ever got blocked, again, I visited reputable sites like financial institutions etc... 

Kudos0

Let us know....progress. 

Thanks

Kudos0

OK, so they said the only logs to look at are the ones we've discussed above. 

If anyone knows where the Monthly report gets it logs from I would love to manually look at those.  If anyone else is having this issue, please post here.  I will attempt a re-install when I some time shortly, need to get some other tasks completed.

Thanks for your assistance so far bjm_ based on what you see it makes me think this is a false positive due to the behavior but I would love to see if others are seeing this as well and would love to find out what is triggering it.

Richard

Kudos0

FWIW, I am seeing the same thing.

Windows 10 x64 1909 | Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Kudos0

FWIW ~ I re-fresh'd Norton install on the 20th.  

Kudos2 Stats

I figured it out! OK, so I was PMing with a few on this thread and it turns out that my Norton updated to the latest version on the 18th.  Anytime I closed my browser and re-opened it, Firefox (I have it set to clear all cookies, cache, etc.. except for browsing history), and went to one of my banking institutions, for example, PayPal, the login screen, Chase, or Wellsfargo, it would trigger the issue.  Nothing in the logs though, I was able to repeat this 14 times.  I then updated my daughter's laptop today to the latest Norton version and nothing, it would not exhibit the issue. I then updated my browser extensions and it was still showing the issue on mine.  I then updated my wife's laptop and it did not do it with the banking institutions, but after the update she had 14 "Other Threats" and when I go to her logs, nothing there!

So finally I uninstalled Norton, after downloading the installer again, I told it to keep my preferences since I was reinstalling.  I rebooted my pc after the uninstall, proceeded to reinstall, and have tried it with each banking institute and it is working fine so far, no more false positives. Please note, the reason I suspected this in my thread earlier was because I remember seeing a feature in Norton about banking protection.  If you launch Norton and go to the Internet Security tab and you have the browser extensions enabled, you will see that it shows (at least on my 3 pc's) "Banking Protection: Installed".

So for whatever reason it is possible that either the latest version is not updating properly on the live update install or perhaps the current version got refreshed on the servers more recently.  Or, it could be affecting only some users, I cannot get my daughter's laptop to fail at all.  But after the uninstall and re-install my machine is working as expected. 

Now I need to do the same uninstall/reinstall on my wife's laptop because of it showing (14 "Other Threats") that are blank in the logs as well after updating it to the latest version today Live Update.  Again, it shows no logs so it is an issue with Norton in my opinion.  Hopefully one of the Moderators can bring this to the attention of the developers to see if they can figure out why it is doing this. 

Thanks for everyone who replied, it definitely helped me figure out the issue.

Richard

Kudos0

I am having the same problem as you are.I too only see the detection is in the performance graph and not showing in Security History under Intrusion Prevention.I don't know  if this has anything to do with this issue.But I noticed in my Antivirus settings under Automatic Protection the Boot Time Protection is turned off should that be turned on to aggressive, normal or be turned off  ?

Kudos0

I always up Boot Time Protection to Aggressive.  It is supposed to slow your boot time a little but I'm OK with that.

Kudos0

You said you have your Boot Time set to Aggressive and it slows your boot time a little how much more time do you mean when you say a little ? And is your Performance Graphs showing Intrusion Threats on it but not in your Security History under Intrusion Prevention ?

Kudos0

1. Not much.  I don't notice it anyway.
  2. Yes.  Permalink
Kudos0

thank you

Kudos0

Same problem here: Norton Security 22.19.8.65 Showing Intrusion Threats on Performance Graphs but not in the Security History under Intrusion Prevention. The issue started after 22.19.8.65 Norton Security new version Installed (september the 22th).

Before september the 22th, every Intrusion on Performance Graphs was really an Intrusion shown in Security History.

Maybe a problem with Banking Protection:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8222911#comment-8222911

Kudos0

I have the same problem and when I turn on Banking Protection when I first open FireFox I get the error in the Graft but not in history. I normally run with Banking Protection off until I go to my banking sites.

Also today my sites show "forbidden" when I tried to use Banking Protection.

The 5 errors today was using Banking Protection. 

No problems with Banking Protection turned off and no Graft errors.

Jim 

Kudos0

PhoneMan:

Firefox

Chrome

Kudos0

For me no "forbidden" issue, I get the green frame, but ,after id and password, infinite loadind web page access.

Kudos0

bjm_:
PhoneMan:

Firefox

Chrome

Banking Protection appears to be working, at this time.  

Kudos0

My boot time protection is always set to aggressive.  Please note per my above comment, the issue went away after reinstalling Norton.  I believe these are false positives and reinstalling the software resolved the issue.

Kudos0

I believe it is was a banking protection issue, however after reinstalling norton, the issue went away.  So I am not sure if there was a fluke on some people's updates or what may have caused it.  The underlying cause is still unknown.

Kudos0

Also please note, my banking protection showed installed but not turned on. But I was still seeing the graph issue.  Since the reinstall, I have not seen the issue again.  Based on the further evidence by new postings in this thread, I am beginning to believe it is an issue with the banking protection.

Richard

Kudos0

This down is my situation with Bank Protection enabled after ID and Password (no PayPal web access):

Kudos0

... And after that endless PayPal web page loading with Bank Protection enabled, when I try to load again my Paypal web page with Bank Protection disabled, PayPal ask me to verify my identity sending to me a personal code....

Kudos0

test PayPal from Chrome

Kudos0

Something is not working fine with the Symantec cloud server for PayPal Italy....

Kudos0

test PayPal ITALY from Chrome:

Kudos0

... and this one down is the PayPal web page without Banking Protection....

Kudos0

noghere:
test PayPal ITALY from Chrome:

@noghere

Banking Protection documentation <here> points to paypal.com > https://www.paypal.com/us/home ... not  paypal.com/it > https://www.paypal.com/it/home

Please review:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-identity-safe/current/solutions/v131585157

Maybe, try Log In - Accedi from >  https://www.paypal.com/us/home

Sorry, I'm not familiar with PayPal Italy. 

Kudos0

I am seeing the same issue with Intrusion alert. For me it was on 9/27 after I checked my UI Security tab and clicked  banking protection.  That might have triggered the alert?  IDK. Only time I have noticed it.  Something going on with Norton that's not working correctly. No where else is the alert seen. 

Kudos0

I just visited my bank website and checked the Norton UI for the alert and there it was.  It is definitely the banking protection throwing these alerts in my opinion.  I don't know if it's because my product update has yet to install the Norton feature in my Firewall for Banking Notification.  Norton has a problem and needs to fix. 

Kudos0

bjm_:

noghere:
test PayPal ITALY from Chrome:

@noghere

Banking Protection documentation <here> points to paypal.com > https://www.paypal.com/us/home ... not  paypal.com/it > https://www.paypal.com/it/home

Maybe, try Log In - Accedi from >  https://www.paypal.com/us/home

Sorry, I'm not familiar with PayPal Italy. 

I've tried the log in from https://www.paypal.com/us/home: same endless web page loading issue. And, after that attempt, the following new log in, with Banking Protection disabled, requested a new my identity verification via cell code. 

I think we need a Symantec official answer...

Kudos0

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. I have sent private message requesting for logs and security history details for further investigation. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

noghere:

I've tried the log in from https://www.paypal.com/us/home: same endless web page loading issue. And, after that attempt, the following new log in, with Banking Protection disabled, requested a new my identity verification via cell code. 

Um, have you tried with (just Norton Safe Web extension enabled) your other browser extensions disabled.   

Kudos0

Sunil_GA:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. I have sent private message requesting for logs and security history details for further investigation. 

Hi Sunil_GA

The  Norton Security installed version is 22.19.8.65

The operating system is Windows 7 SP1 64bit

Security History and SymHelp report are attached

Thanks.

Kudos0

I have the same problem  like I posted on here 2 days ago with one exception I have the newest Update for Norton but the Banking Protection Is not already activated  on my update which I that it would be already on the new Update I don't even know how to activate it.but I still have the same problem with the Performing Graph showing Intrusion  Threats but it is not showing the  threats in the Security History under Intrusion Prevention.

Kudos0

@ surfergirlGG2 , that's the problem I had, it cleared up after the reinstall.  The banking protection was installed but not turned on.  Norton support is now aware of it and they have been able to replicate it in house so they are working on a fix I have been told.

Richard

Kudos0

Banking Protection is part of Safe Web extension and you control it through the settings in Safe Web.

It is OFF by default.

Kudos0

Correct @PhoneMan but some people, as happened to me, had the issue with banking protection installed but not turned on.

Kudos0

FWIW it is STILL happening for me with banking protection turned on or off in my Chrome Norton Extension,   It doesn't matter..it's not working!   This has been happening since release of 22.19.8.65.  I go to my bank's website (with banking protection extension enabled) and do not get a green bar and when I look at the Graph info in UI there is a red alert but no details anywhere in Norton what it is. I'm assuming it's related to the website but that's just my guess.   I'm still waiting for the Banking Notification feature in my Firewall.  Not sure if it needs to be installed (via Live Update) to make this all function properly but that's on Norton.  We should not have to uninstall and reinstall Norton every time there is a product release.  Norton is very expensive and customers should expect better from Norton releases.  This is getting old.  Each product release seems to break something.  It was released on a Friday before a weekend and problems were immediate.  I think it's bad form to release an update on a Friday.  It's bad enough that Microsoft issues updates with bugs but we should not be having buggy releases with our AV software.  Norton is working on a fix I hear.  Hope it's soon.  

Kudos0

My Norton Safe Search extension doesn't show Banking Protection in my  Safe Web settings.

Kudos0

surfergirlGG2:

My Norton Safe Search extension doesn't show Banking Protection in my  Safe Web settings.

Um, what browser.  Norton Safe Web extension for Chrome....updated Oct 1.   

Version 3.10.1.1
Updated October 1, 2019

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/norton-safe-web/fnpbeacklnhmkkilekogeiekaglbmmka

Kudos0

My Norton Safe Web version is  3.10.0.3 Also ran a check to  see if my Norton Internet Security program needed to be updated and it showed that I already have the newest version.

Kudos0

My Norton Safe Web version is  3.10.0.3

Um, what browser.  

Norton Safe Web extension for Firefox is 3.10.0.2

Version 3.10.0.2
Last updated Aug 30, 2019

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.