• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Security 22.7 Full Scan Stuck

I recieved the product update today to 22.7 whatever the other numbers are. I did a quick scan it went fine. I ran a full system scan and it got stuck when it was almost finished.

Screenshot;

Yes fast start is off and yes I restarted my machine because Norton asked me to after downloading the update from LiveUpdate.

Edit - I just clicked "Stop" and that's not working either. The task manager will not "End task" either.

Edit - After restarting my computer and trying to run full system scan again I got this as soon as I hit scan.

Screenshot;

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 22.7 Full Scan Stuck

Kudos0

Here's another set of screenshots.

Right after restarting the computer and trying to run the full scan again (not the time underlined in red);

Stuck full system scan (third time);

I have restarted my computer now several times. I checked Norton's settings too and they remained the same as before the update.

Kudos0

The full scan completes like normal (except it takes a little longer than normal) if I have the screensaver and monitor sleep disabled.

Screenshot of last time when the scan got stuck showing the time after I restarted the computer;

Kudos0

Hi everyone I have exactly the same problem as above - scan in 22.7 stalled. Used Removal tool to go back to 22.6 and the scan worked fine. Updated again to 22.7 and the scan stopped working again. Weyman
Kudos0

Same here it get Stuck under Full ´Scan i even try reinstall it but dos the same thing again and we pay a lot for this to work

Kudos0

Hi @Weyman & @Shadowman,

I have sent you both private messages with the instructions to collect logs. Please check your inbox when you get a chance. Thanks.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Seems to be gone today. I ran two scans successfully without issue.

It might've been an update from LiveUpdate causing this. So if you still have the problem run LiveUpdate.

Kudos0

Gots duh saim problem.

I did use "? Help" at the top right corner of the NS screen

Took me to Help Center where I clicked "Get Support"

Launched "Autofix" which prepared "the best support experience for me"

After ruminating for 15 seconds, repaired an installation somethin' or other.

Alas. Full Scan still hangs.

Live Update and Quick Scan still works, so it's not as though nothin doin.

I've been a fan of your products since the [Peter] Norton Utilities/Commander days. 'preciate your efforts folks.

Kudos0

Got a couple updates today. Full Scan just completed normally.

Kudos0

I have had this problem on 2 different computers one running Norton 360 and one running Norton Internet security. After running Nortons update this week that required a reboot, I ran Full system scans on both Windows 10 PC's. Oddly they both stopped (hung) on the same file. An iPhone IOS app (Toy Story 3 1.10.ipa) in the iTunes Mobile Applications directory. It looks like someone else had the hang on an "ipa" file. I went in and excluded that directory and re-ran the Full system scan successfully. This doesn't solve the problem but allows me to scan the rest of my system. 

Kudos0

The problem has returned.

Kudos0

Now it won't scan at all. First it got stuck and then when I restarted and tried to run the full scan again it just shows a scan complete window.

Kudos0

I've uploaded one set of logs already and the other set of logs is currently uploading. One shows the repeated scan complete window and the other is the frozen scan.

Kudos0

Uploaded.

Kudos0

Hello @Gayathri_R

SGFC has uploaded 2 logs for you. Thanks. floplot

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hello @BDan

Symantec is starting to investigate this issue. Please send a PM to Gayathri_R that you are willing to help by gathering logs is she needs your help.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

shall do.

BTW: Two PCs in our home had this problem. After my last post, full scans started (and are still) working on both machines.

I'll contact Gayathri

Kudos0

Same problem here.  Have 3 computers. On 2 of them full scan just hangs before the end. Have run several updates and no difference. Strangely my third computer does not appear to have the update that causes the problem, despite running updates.

Kudos0

I don't think it actually hangs or whatever the term is.

What happens is I start a manual full system scan, it freezes the interface and doesn't show complete, the scan stops but since it doesn't show complete and you can't stop the scan or X it out you have to restart (CPU usage drops to 0% after awhile), once you restart and try to run full system scan again it shows a scan complete window. It sometimes will allow you to start the scan and sometimes it shows the scan complete after restart. Sometimes I have to restart several times to start another full system scan. Very annoying to say the least. The quick scan works like a charm.

Just my observations.

Kudos0

I uploaded my logs of the problem on the 16th but have heard nothing. I am not sure this is getting much attention.

Kudos0

Hi,

Thanks for the logs. They are being looked into. I'll send the rest of you a private message with the steps to collect logs. Please check your inbox when you get a chance. Thank you.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I have the same problem. Any solution yet?

Kudos0

Hi @gilgil,

I have replied to your private message. Thanks so much for reporting this issue.

-Gayathri

Kudos0

Same Full Scan Stuck issue for me as well since update....Windows 10 Pro X64

Norton 22.7.0.76

Kudos0

I am having the same issue since recent updates.  Full scan normally takes 90 minutes or less, now does not complete after running overnight (10 Hours).  Based on the number of files that have been scanned, it appears that the scan is almost complete.   Just gets hung up near the end.

Windows 10 Home  64 bit

Norton 22.7.0.76

Kudos0

I have this exact problem.

Kudos0

UPDATE

I performed a manual, full system scan over night that completed normally in less than 90 minutes.  

Here's hoping the problem has been resolved.  

Kudos0

Problem still exists. The Full Scan still hangs.

By the way, it happens only on my Windows 10 PC. Full Scan works perfectly on my Windows 8.1 PC !!

And as SGFC pointed out, it freezes the interface and doesn't show complete. Then, when I restart the PC and run Full Scan again, it immediately shows a scan complete window with only 4 more files in the files counter.

Kudos0

I'm having the same issue...

Kudos0

When is this issue going to be resolved? It is happening on all 3 of my personal computers and it's very frustrating.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Tried the "remedy" in Hot Issues. Makes no difference at all. Doesn't work - still stalls on random file. I agree - it is about time this was fixed.

Kudos0

bjm_ : thanks for the link, but this specific problem is still all around, it has not been fixed yet, and it's more than 2 weeks!

Very annoying.

Kudos0

I hear ya'

Kudos0

I wouldn't waste your time with support. Every technician with which I had dealt were extremely polite, but not a single one--not even the senior level technicians--were able to resolve this issue. There were countless times when it appeared to be resolved, yet the issue would crop up again shortly thereafter. I probably spent nearly 10 hours in total on remote assistance, far more time than it will take me to reinstall Windows, adjust all of the settings and edit the registry, download all of the necessary drivers, and download all of the software (and games) that I use (or play) on regular basis.

Kudos0

+1 here. Norton Security scan fails to complete & is stuck at initialising. 

Fully upto date.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

Another with the same problem. I tried the solution suggested bur it didn't work. Grateful for any assistance.

Kudos0

Here's my daily full system scan routine;

Start a full system scan, wait for it to get stuck, restart my computer, start full system scan again, wait for scan complete window after 3 seconds, check history, shows in history it completed. Go on about my business.

Come on Symantec!

Kudos0

We're sorry about the inconvenience. We are looking into this issue and we'll post an update once we have more information. Thanks and apologies. 

-Gayathri

Kudos0

What is worng with this!!! i am sooooo Tire off this .. if you dont Fix this pich i wil NEVER BUY FROM YOU AGAIN 

[edit: removed offensive language per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Kudos0

what are we all pay for this program when it <removed> in ever thing i do ... Stuck on full scan and cpu run at 100 and have to restart pc just to get it som what working again --- i have ha norton for a long time BUT i think about going to other program that just works 

[Edit: Please keep the language clean to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

Norton Security 22.7.0.76

As I mentioned 2 of my PC's stopped during full scans both on the same .ipa file. I excluded that directory "iTunes Mobile Applications" from the full scan and have not had the problem since. I have a 3rd PC that I did not have the exclusion in and it stopped on a different .ipa file. I put the exclusion in and it is also full scanning ok. Since I never run the .ipa files on the pc, this seems like a decent work around for now for me.

Kudos0

Try running it multiple times consecutively. I've excluded files that it gets stuck on, and the next full scan might complete; but if I do another full scan immediately afterwards it will usually get stuck again on a different file.

Kudos0

In my case, I excluded the entire folder so no .ipa files will be scanned in subsequent scans. So far the original ones scanned full scans 4 times, once per week successfully. The other is 2 for 2. Maybe my luck will run out but so far so good

Kudos0

HI

A similar situation, with the full scan of the system hangs at the end of the scanning plan. Stop the full scan is not possible. Just reboot the system. Updating last through live update.

Sleep mode, the screen saver is turned off!

Temporarily to resolve this problem, disable full system scan, which would not torment wheels

Norton Security  22.7.0.76
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1511,build 10586.420,Lenovo Y580A
(UTC+02:00) Kiev,Ukraine

Kudos0

My Full System Scan starts the initialization and stops immediately with an error. After that it won't even start until a reboot. Nothing in History or Scan Results. This started after the last update. Quick Scan and Drives Scan work fine. I am running W'10 Home x64 w/latest updates. on a Lenovo G710. I also run Malwarebytes Anti-malware, Anti-exploit, and Anti-ransomware beta. But, nothing has changed to cause this except the last Security update. I run an Anti-malware and Security Full System Scan every other day.

Kudos0

can we get a update on what you guys are working on ?? i think we all are sick and tire off full scan stucks ... and can even shut norton down it just keep on going even when i tell it to stop the only way to stop norton is to restart my pc 

Kudos0

I 2nd that. Can we get an update from the development team?

Kudos0

Sometimes silence says more than a reply. It seems that absolutely nothing is happening!

Kudos1 Stats

This is really, REALLY poor service. A virus scan product that doesn't scan!

I have been with Norton since day 1, but this has me thinking about saying goodbye-finally.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.