• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security 22.7 Screen Saver Very Slow

After installing the product update for Norton Security 22.7 whatever the other numbers are. I started a full system scan and the screen saver came on after X amount of time. But the screen saver animation was very slow almost like it was a stationary image. After moving my mouse around it took awhile for my desktop to reappear.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 22.7 Screen Saver Very Slow

I think the screensaver is stopping the scan. Because again the full system scan didn't complete and caused the screensaver to become very slow. Norton seems to be using 100% CPU where the task manager showers red.

Kudos0

Hi,SGFC. I disabled the screen saver after the change to Windows 10 as my machines are set to hibernate, and therefore I don't need a screen saver. Maybe disabling it will help ?

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Duplicate post.

Kudos0

This is not a duplicate post F4E, thanks.

Even after disabling the screensaver that didn't help. The monitor went to sleep and when I woke up the monitor the scan was still working but I came back and now it's stuck at 307,699 files.

I love how whenever there's a Norton problem I'm told to just turn this feature off it's not needed. I should be able to run a screensaver and Norton at the same time.

Kudos0

No, SGFC. MY post was duplicated ! My previous comment was entered twice. Sorry the screensaver suggestion didn't work for you.

Kudos0

Oh

The only other thing I could try is disabling the monitor sleep. But so far my scans get stuck. There are two issues the scan getting stuck and the slow screensaver during a scan. It's like Norton is sucking up all of the CPU and not leaving any for a normal screensaver.

Kudos0

Fwiw, my full desktop scan completed in around 44 minutes using up to 99% disk, but a full scan on battery on my laptop hung around the 226,000 mark. 

I stopped it and will try again, next time I'm plugged in on the laptop.

Kudos0

I disabled the monitor sleeping and screensaver and it did help but took a bit longer and completed like normal.

But with either the screensaver or monitor sleep enabled the scan doesn't complete. Well it does complete and finish but the interface refuses to change to "Scan Finished" or that green window you get when it's finished. It'll show that green window after restarting the computer if you try and do a full scan again. I can tell it's finished because the CPU load for Norton drops to 0% but the interface looks like it's stuck.

This business with the 100% CPU usage is causing the slow screensaver and reaction time. I used to be able to work on my PC while performing a full system scan. Now it's like all of the resources are being sucked up and if I try and work it's very slow.

Also for me I couldn't stop the scan by clicking "Stop" even End task didn't work. I had to restart my computer from the Win+X menu.

Kudos0

Whenever any program gets stuck and starts consuming system resources, it will slow everything else to a crawl.  It sounds like Norton may be hitting a difficult compressed file or something.  Try turning off compressed file scanning, or it you can determine a specific file that may be involved, try excluding it from scans.

Kudos0

Seems like it went away today after running LiveUpdate. So maybe there was a bad file from LiveUpdate yesterday.

I tried twice and both times it worked like normal.

The screensaver is still quite slow during a scan. But that's probably because Norton is using 100% CPU.

Kudos0

Hello

Patch 22.7 has been pulled.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

SGFC:

Seems like it went away today after running LiveUpdate. So maybe there was a bad file from LiveUpdate yesterday.

I tried twice and both times it worked like normal.

The screensaver is still quite slow during a scan. But that's probably because Norton is using 100% CPU.

Hi, SGFC. I've noticed that responses in V 22.7 have been fairly slow, particularly when running Live Update manually.

Seems there are a few issues that are going to have to be sorted out before it's released again !

Kudos0

Kudos0

I spoke too soon the issue came back today. The scan is stuck!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.