• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security 6.4 stopped working after OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan) update

I seem to be running into problems with Norton Security, some time after the install of the OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan) first update.  The problems showed up rather quietly, the first I knew about it was things seemed too quiet, so I had a peek at NS, and here's what greeted me:

Big Red [X] for Security, so obvious enough.  Running LiveUpdate seemed to make no difference, when I tried the Scan selection, it attempts to Fix itself, but this is the result:

And that is essentially it.  So basically not running.

Rebooting seems to make no difference.

Any suggestions?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 6.4 stopped working after OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan) update

I had a closer look at the Conlog on a reboot, and it appears that Norton Security is crashing:

10/25/15 6:50:52.691 AM SymDaemon[810]:     +++ SymLM::SkuKey 0x7fe93ad4f000 (# 1) - 1 alive +++
10/25/15 6:50:52.813 AM SymDaemon[810]: [810] stack overflow

10/25/15 6:50:52.813 AM diagnosticd[134]: error evaluating process info - pid: 810, puniqueid: 810
10/25/15 6:50:52.813 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.symantec.symdaemon.NFM[810]) Service exited due to signal: Abort trap: 6
10/25/15 6:50:52.814 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.symantec.symdaemon.NFM) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
10/25/15 6:50:53.040 AM ReportCrash[808]: Saved crash report for SymDaemon[810] version 6.4 (36) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/SymDaemon_2015-10-25-065053_Pauls-MacBook-Pro.crash
10/25/15 6:50:57.838 AM Symantec Error Reporting[430]: Symantec Error Reporting Daemon: Submitting 0 panic reports.
10/25/15 6:50:57.838 AM Symantec Error Reporting[430]: Symantec Error Reporting Daemon: Submitting 1 crash reports.
10/25/15 6:50:57.838 AM Symantec Error Reporting[430]: Symantec Error Reporting Daemon: Submitting 46 error reports.
10/25/15 6:51:02.972 AM Symantec Daemon[830]: SymDaemon has reached its respawn limit (10). Please see the Symantec Web site for troubleshooting.

Some sort of stack overflow, obviously enough.  Which probably gives at least a potential indication of why Norton Security won't run properly.

I updloaded the crash report.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hello Paul,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. For us to troubleshoot into this, could you please perform the below steps?

Troubleshooting mechanism:

1. Download the tool from here:ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/tools/mactools/GatherSymantecInfo.zip
  2. After download, with the file on the Mac client where you are facing these issues, double-click on the file to expand it. It will contain the GatherSymantecInfo.command file as well as a folder called SupportFiles.
  3. Double-click on GatherSymantecInfo.command. It will open a Terminal window.
  4. Enter your administrator password (it will not echo on-screen) and press Enter.
  5. Gathering information... message will appear.
  6. When it completes to run, you can find SymantecInfo.zip archive under Desktop directory.

I've sent you a private message to where the logs needs to be shared. Once its shared, we will analyze and try to revert as soon as possible.

Workaround:

Since you see Norton crashes, as a quick workaround, could you please follow the below steps to check if LiveUpdate/Scan Now is working. Before proceeding with the workaround, please perform the above troubleshooting steps.

1. Goto Finder and goto Applications Folder.
  2. Open Norton Security.app from Applications
  3. Click "Advanced" option
  4. In case, Advanced option is clickable:
    • Goto "Advanced" and turn (toggle) off the "Connection Blocking" and "Vulnerability Protection" features
    • Else (Advanced option is not clickable), run the following commands:
      • nortonsettings disable connection-blocking
      • nortonsettings disable vulnerability-protection
  5. Reboot the machine.
  6. Run LiveUpdate and check if the issues specific to LiveUpdate and Scan is fixed.

This is just a workaround to see if the issue that you are facing is fixed. 

Thanks

Rajesh

Kudos0

OK, finally got some time to go after this again.  OS X 10.11.1, NS 6.4.  Following the last bit from Rajesh, i.e.

1. Goto Finder and goto Applications Folder.
  2. Open Norton Security.app from Applications
  3. Click "Advanced" option
  4. In case, Advanced option is clickable:
    • Goto "Advanced" and turn (toggle) off the "Connection Blocking" and "Vulnerability Protection" features
    • Else (Advanced option is not clickable), run the following commands:
      • nortonsettings disable connection-blocking
      • nortonsettings disable vulnerability-protection
  5. Reboot the machine.
  6. Run LiveUpdate and check if the issues specific to LiveUpdate and Scan is fixed.

Some notes:

• I launched as directed in 1.,2., but Norton Security will also launch conventionally.
  • On 3., Advanced worked fine, I further had to pick the Firewall tab to turn off "Connection Blocking" and "Vulnerability Protection" features, but then did that, rebooted. 
  • Ran LiveUpdate after the reboot, but it did not address the issues, ended back up at the big red [X] again, tried a quick scan which tried a fix (basically more attempts to do a live update, those seem to succeed (although I will note, nothing shows up in the update list), but I end up with the same "We were unable to fix..."

I will also note that LiveUpdate takes quite some time, and even though it seems to be successful, the inability to list the fixes is concerning.

Anyway, I sent along the logs, as requested.

Kudos0

I tried to go the "Windows" route, so:

1. Uninstalled Norton Security (using the pull-down)
  2. Rebooted
  3. Re-downloaded and re-installed Norton Security
  4. Rebooted
  5. Ran LiveUpdate (successfully)
  6. Everything showing up as "Green", so I kicked off a Quick Scan.  Seems to be working (so far, it is still scanning).

The LiveUpdate history was showing entries, so encouraging.

I will let is Scan to completion (SymDaemon is show 99.8% CPU, so I may not be quite fixed yet), and report back further.

Kudos1 Stats

SymDaemon did eventually calm down.  It took quite a while, but it is acceptable (few %) sort of range.  So I am marking this one done.  The re-install seems to have fixed the problem.

Kudos0

OK, I had marked the problem as solved, but apparently that is not the case.  It came back:

This was after a Fix attempt off of a quick scan.

So Norton Security 6.4 ran for a while, then choked and died.  So it appears I am back at square one.

Kudos0

Hello Paul,

Sorry for the problem.

From the screenshot, could see that the subscription state is "Unavailable". This means something has gone wrong again with our Symantec processes. Could you please run GatherSymantecInfo again as mentioned using the steps above and private message me the logs?

Thanks much for your cooperation.

Thanks

Kudos0

The failure on the login may be related to something I am seeing with the link that it is getting directed to:

https://sitedirector.symantec.com/932743328?lic_type=2&product=Norton%20...

which is coming up as a dead link on the symantec.com web site.  Looks like some sort of https error:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to sitedirector.symantec.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Kudos0

OK, .zip file sent along.

Kudos0

Hello,

I am having exactly the same issues: I installed Norton Security on my Mac and from one moment to the other, it decided to block every single connection to the Internet, Live Update did not work and it kept showing the red Security At Risk.

Not funny at 2 A.M., when my wife is working on something for the next morning....

Had to uninstall the hard way and not happy with a supposed solution turning into a hell of a problem...

Please help

Kudos0

This is the same issue i was having on my imac and macbook pro. There was no issue with my subscription and i kept getting "FIX NOW" and it would fail everytime i tried. I had to reboot then do it, And it would fix it. Then after a little it would come up again "FIX NOW".

I got so tired of fighting with it i ran away from it.

This is how i fixed it. UNINSTALL NORTON and get a better AV for mac.

Hope norton can work all the bugs out maybe do some real world beta testing.

Kudos0

How do I fix this issue?! Currently having the same issue with my month old Macbook pro. I purchased 2 years of Norton security at the same time, definitely starting to regret that.

Kudos0

Helo, I uninstalled using Cleanmymac since the normal procedure did not work. I then finished cleaning with th script found at: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/tools/mactools/RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip I then reinstalled Norton Security and it seems to be working: even survived some live updates. Cross fingers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.