• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Norton Security 7.3 Build 111 w/ macOS Sierra 10.12.2 - "Sicherheit gefährdet"

Dear community members,

I was unable to locate help in the forums, so please allow me to post my topic here:

My system is a Mac mini mid 2010, macOS 10.12.2 with Norton Security 7.3 Build 111 freshly installed. The UI is in German, so I try my best to translate the popup contents: After boot, I get the following message:

"Gefährdet - Ihr Mac is Sicherheitslücken ausgesetzt. Klicken Sie auf 'Jetzt beheben', um Norton Security zu öffnen"

"Risk - Your Mac is exposed to security breaches. Click 'fix now' to open Norton Security"

Clicking on the button 'Jetzt beheben'/'fix now' does not help. Norton Security is being opened, apparently LiveUpdate is being executed (sometimes files get downloaded and installed, e.g. virus signature updates), but the error message remains.

Also, being logged in doesn't change anything; the displayed overall security status remains "at risk". On the website, the Mac is identified with a valid licence key installed (serial number is shown correctly, I only took it out of the screenshot).

I have uninstalled the software package, cleaned the Mac with a third party tool (removing remains of software which was uninstalled), downloaded the latest version and did a clean re-install (computer shut down in between).

Any ideas what goes wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security 7.3 Build 111 w/ macOS Sierra 10.12.2 - "Sicherheit gefährdet"

I have the same situation since several weeks, have waited several hours in the technical support hotline. Even though I had several chats with remote access and got neither any solution yet, nor any response.

I am very disappointed and indeed very surprised, that no one seems to work on this topic.

Why do I pay license fee for unsupported functionality / security and without any help???

I am also working with a mac mini, but with a 2012 version.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security 7.3 Build 111 w/ macOS Sierra 10.12.2 - "Sicherheit gefährdet"

Same situation with El Capitan.

No solution since almost 2 months.

Kudos0

Just upgraded to Sierra 10.2.3 - problem still persists

Kudos0

The issue seems to have been solved. Here is what happened:

1. Contacted Norton Support via Twitter (@NortonSupport) and asked why there was no reaction to this thread
  2. They looked into it and together we clarified some details (to be honest: I still don't think that anyone from Symantec has looked into this forum post; I had to explain everything from the beginning) 
  3. After they checked my licence, I was given a link to a RemovalTool and used it to completely erase Norton products from my Mac. Rebooted computer and had to go through the procedure again.
  4. Meanwhile, they had sent a link from which I could download a fresh install.
  5. Re-installed the product. Until now everything looks OK. However, after every reboot the message box re-occurs but after LiveUpdate everything goes back to green state. Good enough for me.
Kudos0

They tried the same procedure with my mac, but on El Capitan the problem could not be removed in this way. After some escalation the support installed an old version on my mac (Norton Internet Security 5) and now everything is green.

But nevertheless I made the same experience like iceblue69. The chat support is very cooperative, but I think the people form Symantec have never looked very deep into my issue. I think I will change to an other product as soon as my license has ended.

Very disappointed

Kudos0

Same experience here, P. I must say, the chat support was absolutely fast, but couldn't get a grip on what he was doing (took control over my system and rebooted it). Norton started a live update and his conclusion was that he solved the problem. Well, he didn't. See my today's post about blocking internet traffic, which can only be resolved by force quitting SymDaemon a few times. And browsing this forum shows me that Symantec do not seem to spend a lot of time here.

Disappointed indeed - any good alternative?

Kudos0

Some days in the past I got this nice window on my mac:

As there was no notification the last weeks, I had the hope that an update would have been done. So I tried to install and got this:

Somehow norton was deactivated and after reboot uninstalled. I tried a new installation and got my problem back.

In my opinion norton delivers untested alpha software with the current version. Looking forward to changing the tool in around 100 days...

Kudos0

ta-daaa... I'm back. The issue is persisting after I didn't observe it for two weeks or so. Did not change my system (no OS upgrades, no new apps). This is extremely annoying. Couldn't agree more to P's comment, unless I believe Symantec keeps shipping pre-alpha versions.

Kudos1 Stats

Just tried the update to NS 7.4 yesterday. Installation was not easy, after invoking the installer a window says: "Das Upgrade wurde nicht" (The Upgrade was not --> what?? tested? installed? available?).

Dear Norton Security developers: Please support the users and do not throw unclear windows in the orbit. Such windows make the users insecure instead of giving the user guidance to handle the situation. The window opened was given in 2 languages: headline in german ("Das Upgrade wurde nicht") and a small text below "Uninstalling previous version failed". The window had only one button "Schließen". So what should the user do? Try it again to get the same window (probably asking wether norton is still running or not)? 

So I had already many hours contact with the support earlier. Therefore I was able to do the needed actions. After several boots the new version seems to work. This was yesterday.

Today my MAC was not able to connect to the internet any more (this error was solved in the new version as listet in the release document!).

Due to the fact that my license is going to end in round 10 days I ended my Norton experiment and deinstalled the complete package. Now I'm using a different tool and I am very happy. The new tool has found 5 infected files and repaired everything. I am wondering what Norton has done on my computer? Why has Norton not protected to get infected?

Don't know and doesn't matter any more.

Bye bye Norton Security.

Kudos0

@user_p:

In February I posted my (similar) problem and I recently installed it on my MacBook again, only to find out that the issue has not been resolved.

And I am quite worried about what you wrote about a handful of threats you detected, that were not found by Norton.

November this year, my annual subscription ends and given all the problems Symantec do not care about, I will not renew. After many years of being a loyal subscriber.

Not willing to pay for a product that does not work and a company that does not care about its customers.

Many thanks for your input.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.