• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security 8.5.7 Broke Time Machine Backup

I just updated to Norton Security 8.5.7 on four different Macs (iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and MacBook) all running Catalina 15.5. Immediately following the update on each Mac, Time Machine backups for those Macs started failing. In most cases they fail anywhere from 75-90% through the backup with a message that the files cannot be copied; subsequent verifications of the backups indicate that the backups are corrupted. The Macs are on a mix of wireless and wired connections. This happens across two separate (redundant) Time Capsules, both connected to my network via Ethernet. I tried resetting one Time Capsule, even going so far as erasing and zeroing out the disk. However, the problem persisted. I finally got backups to work by disabling all scanning, protection and firewall options in Norton Security, and re-enabling them after a successful backup. I also have switch Time Machine from automatic backups to manual backups, so I can disable Norton Security before backing up. Is anyone else encountering similar issues? Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 8.5.7 Broke Time Machine Backup

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue...

Kudos0

Hi @UnfairCompetition & @Erul-chan Love ,

I have sent you a private message requesting additional information. Could you please check your inbox when you get a chance? Thanks. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Norton Lifelock
Kudos0

Hello Gayathri,

Thank you for your reply.

Please find the attached files you have requested.

I use Norton 360 for Mac, so the filename of the support data is different.
In addition, my regional setting of macOS is to use Japanese as first language. Then the log files may contain some Japanese characters....

The attached file named "Logs.zip" contains 3 log files, LastLUSucceeded, LiveUpdateLog, and lux.log.

And also I try to attach a file, /var/log/fsck_hfs.log, which shows the corruption of the File System of my Time Machine backup on a Sparse DiskImage Bundle file, with extension of ".backupbundle".
The Sparse Disk Image file is located on my Time Capsule. 

Please lookup the logs recorded between line 1234 and line 1238.

At first, I doubted my hard drive on the Time Capsule had some issue logically.
So I had already tried to erase and initialize the hard drive, and had completed successfully.
And the initial, first time Time Machine backup was successfully finished.

But the next differential Time Machine backup was failed with following dialog.

---
Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “Time Capsule”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.
---

Thanks and Regards,

E

Kudos0

I too have experienced identical problems and messages. Allen at Apple Support has been exceptionally helpful and uniquely innovative with diagnostics and a fix. I called Symantic/Norton and (as usual) had to deal with an uninformed representative, whose accent had me wondering what had been said, and who was incapable of fathoming the issue.
Kudos0

Hi @Paul Downing 1,

I have sent you a private message requesting additional information. Could you please check your inbox when you get a chance? Thanks. 

-Gayathri

Kudos0

I replied as you requested.

Kudos0

Since upgrading to Catalina last week, my Time Machine has been unable to complete a backup. I contacted Apple support and they took me through the process of erasing all the data from my Time Capsule. Time Machine still failed to complete the backup. When I called Apple support yesterday they pointed me to this thread and said the issue is a recent Norton upgrade.

Norton - when are you going to fix this issue? Disabling my virus software to complete an hours-long backup defeats the purpose of having virus software.

Kudos0

As well as the above issues, I am also experiencing problems with multiple requests for Safari extensions.  I know this is not the issue for this thread, but everything has occurred since the Norton 360 update.  The prompts are tolerable, but the Time Machine issue is critical for me.

If any additional logs or information is needed, please let me know.

Kudos0

I am having the same issue.  It only fails when trying to back up to a wireless drive (e.g., time capsule, wireless backup drive connected to the same network).  It doesn't fail when backing up to an external USB drive connected directly to my Mac.  On the wireless backup drive, it completes the backup.  But the next time it tries to do an incremental backup, I get the following message and have to create an entirely new backup.  "Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “XXX drive”.  To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you." 

Kudos0

I too have exactly the same issue, local USB backup works though. Not ideal as renders the time capsule next to useless, if a roll back feature would be available would be appreciated. I've had to remove a couple of my licences, if i remove anymore I shall have to look to switch security vendors :-(

Kudos0

Hello,

Please find as requested.

Kudos0

Log uploaded as requested.

Kudos0

I too have this same issue across 5 x computers with different releases of macOS (Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra) and I confirmed that upgrading a computer to Norton Security 8.5.7 is the cause for the Time Machine verification failures.  I tested backups against two different TimeCapsule devices and on both wired and wireless connections, all with the same results.  Removing Norton Security resolves the Time Machine verification failures.

Kudos0

I suddenly (about a week and a half ago) started having the same issue on my MacBook Pro running Catalina.  Thinking it might be an issue with the newest Catalina update and my Time Capsule (which is now 'old' technology), I bought an NAS drive.  I had been planning to phase out the Time Capsule anyway, not knowing how long it could be trusted.  Meanwhile, we have 2 iMacs still running Mojave that are still successfully backing up to the Time Capsule!  After I did a new backup of the MacBook Pro to the new NAS drive and had the same problem, I called Apple.  After wasting time with a 'lower level' tech advisor, I was transferred to a senior advisor who knew immediately that Norton was the problem!  I uninstalled Norton...  I see people referring  to Norton 8.5.7 as being the problem.  My iMac is running Norton 9.0.4.  Has that version fixed the problem, or should I uninstall Norton on the iMacs too?

Update... As it turns out when selecting the app in the app folder it said version 9.0.4, but when opening Norton and checking 'About Norton', it said version 8.5.7.  I'm uninstalling Norton from the iMacs too just to be safe until they've fixed it.  Hopefully, they will notify us when Norton is fixed!

Kudos0

I have had the same problem with Time Capsule. Has Norton issued a new version of Norton Security?

Kudos1 Stats

I uploaded logs to Norton as requested several days ago and have heard nothing since. 

Norton, when are you fixing this issue?

Kudos3 Stats

I know a bunch of Norton for Mac customers.  They are not real happy right now.

First, Norton sending requests to allow apps on to the internet.  (Year old problem)

Next, Norton started having Kernel panics that caused crashes. Resolved with 8.5.7?

Now, Norton has messed up Time Machine.

Kudos0

Hi. I have the same issues. I lost my backup, had to do a new one and when I tried to update the vulnerability definition on Norton my Time Machine backup crashed again. 

Kudos2 Stats

Since I raised the issue I’m experiencing I’ve had no feedback, what is Norton doing to fix this problem? Would be good to set some expectations with your valued customers please
Kudos0

Gary E,

I too, am anxiously awaiting some sort of public response from Norton addressing this problem, and hopefully some assurance that this is (or soon will be) fixed!

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks Norton for the 20+ years that I have used your products.  Time to move on as I can't guarantee security and usability with the product as it stands.  I have found a less light weight agent for the Mac and PC from another vendor and will not be renewing. 

Kudos0

I canceled my auto renewal as well this week. Researching other vendors now to see what’s available
Kudos0

MoodDust,

I would love to know what your ‘new’ product is!

Kudos0

@rwbiner - Have sent you a private message

Kudos1 Stats

Ever since installing Norton Security for Mac, my Time Machine has malfunctioned.  It goes through the whole process, but then gives me the message:  "Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “XXX drive”.  To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you." (see attachment).  Have gone through the cycle about 3 times.  As one can imagine, creating a new Time Machine backup for 450 gb takes a long time.  Have uninstalled Norton and will try a new Time Machine backup.  Left unresolved, this is a dealbreaker for Mac users. 

Kudos0

As anticipated, uninstalling Norton Security for Mac resolved the issue.  Hopefully Norton will fix the problem soon.

Kudos0

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue on the Norton Community. We have released Norton Security for Mac 8.5.8 that contains a fix for this issue. Please let us know if you continue seeing Time Machine backup failures. Thank you. 

-Gayathri

Kudos2 Stats

Hello, I have updated to ver 8.5.8 and unfortunately still have the same issues as reported with consistent back up failures, I have also uninstalled and the backup completely successfully, reinstalled Norton Security and failures every time.
Kudos2 Stats

Upgrading to 8.5.8 and rebooting does not resolve the issue for me. Removing Norton Security, however, still does allow for successful backups.

Kudos0

Gayathri

What, no apologies?  No special offers?  Good luck keeping or getting any Mac users, this has been a MAJOR issue/inconvenience!!  And apparently your ‘fix’ DOSEN’T WORK!  I’m done with Norton... Already uninstalled and using another product.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Gayathri,

The issue we reported has NOT been resolved yet...

After I updated Norton 360 to 8.5.8, created new Time Machine backup on my Time Capsule successfully, but next time  differential backup failed. Time Machine told me as below again...

---
Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “Time Capsule”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.
---

Is 8.5.8 of Norton Mac really fixed the issue?
Thanks.

E

Kudos0

I experienced exactly the same thing with 8.5.8, so will once again need to uninstall Norton Security for Mac.  Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but my Time Machine backup goes to a network attached storage, as opposed to an external drive connected directly to my MacBook Pro.

Kudos0

Thanks for all the early reports.  I will await 8.5.9 before wasting my time.

Kudos0

Hi, My english is not very good, but I'll try my best.

I have set my version of Norton to 8.5.8. And I was able to make a successful TimeMachine backup using the following method.

1. Uninstalling Norton the usual way
2. Use "Remove Norton Mac Files" to erase the files about Norton. (https://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/mac/tools/RemoveNortonMacFiles...)
3. Reinstalling Norton

I reinserted Norton this way and ran a backup. And the backup has been successfully completed.

Here's a link to the thread where I posted my comment in the Japanese community. https://discussionsjapan.apple.com/thread/251495413

This method may not solve the problem for sure. But I'm happy to help.

Kudos0

Same here - Norton updated, I restarted the computer and the Time Machine backup failed again. If anyone can recommend another vendor, I'm ready to switch. 

Kudos0

After upgrading, I am still having the same issue.  I have uninstalled Norton and Time Machine Backups work fine.  

Kudos0

I have 2 Macbooks, Macbook Pro Retina (Mid-2014) and MacBook Air (Early-2014) whose TimeMachine make back up to NAS through home network. Both machines have the same TimeMachine problem.

Having been recommended by Japanese Norton and Apple communities, I uninstalled the Norton then ran "RemoveSymantecMacFiles" to remove un-removed files during uninstallation on the MacBook Air, then created an initial back up and made incremental backups a couple of times. This worked fine.

Then, I reinstalled the Norton and watched what would happen. Incremental backup was successful couple of times. However, when TimeMachine completed verification of the backup, the problem appeared again.

Both making backup and anti-virus capabilities are crucial to me. But I have to choose either one of the two to maintain my MacBook and data safty.

Kudos1 Stats

According to mako15's comment, I also had tried uninstalling Norton 360 and executing the "RemoveNortonMacFiles" script.

But unfortunately, my Time Machine incremental backup failed again...

I desire that this issue should be addressed by Symantec ASAP!

Regards,

E

Kudos1 Stats

We are sorry about the inconvenience caused. We are looking into this issue. Thank you for your feedback. 

-Gayathri

Kudos1 Stats

Thank you.  This has been incredibly frustrating.  I am also a mutiple Norton license holder i.e. this has impacted multiple machines in my house that are no longer able to back up using time machine.

Kudos2 Stats

Same here -- 8.5.7 broke Time Machine on my Mac Mini running Catalina 10.5.5 and 8.5.8 did nothing to resolve the issue. I stopped using Norton on my MacBook Pro some time back since it always had issues. Just finished removing Norton from the Mac Mini (Time Machine works again with no issues) and switched over to BitDefender which is what I am using on my MacBook Pro now. Really tired of Norton issues in general -- looking to abandon them on Windows as well.

Kudos1 Stats

I have got the same problem and I was searching a long time till I found the reason. I have given up contacting the support because I have never received any help. Either you get comforted or nothing happens. This problem has been announced here in the forum since 21. 06 and also the attempt to get help via the support. The only solution I see is to change the antivirus software. I was a long user of this software and I used to be enthusiastic.

Kudos0

I newly licensed Norton Security 8.5.8 a couple of weeks ago. And, I am experiencing the exact same problem, running Catalina 10.15.5. 

Kudos1 Stats

I re-installed with this version and the problem still exists with Time Machine backups.