• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security Deluxe not installing on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2

I have an iMac Retina 5K, 27in, Late 2015 running 10.13.2 High Sierra I'm trying to install Norton Security Deluxe onto. I ran the setup file which downloaded and installed the product then requires Gatekeeper access to finish installing. I have Gatekeeper set to allow apps downloaded from Apple and identified developers and clicked the "allow" button but nothing happens. I know from other machines once you allow the app to run the message about the blocked "Symantec" app should disappear along with the "allow" button. It doesn't. Consequently, Norton fails in it's "validation" phase of install every time. 

I used these terminal commands to shut off gatekeeper and allow installation of apps from everywhere: http://osxdaily.com/2015/05/04/disable-gatekeeper-command-line-mac-osx/

Then I used the removal tool to uninstall Norton (https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_End...)  and redownloded/installed the suite and once installed it still locks up at the Gatekeeper "allow" button. 

A Norton live agent says it's not Norton it's Apple and had someone else earlier today with the same issue. Are there other's having trouble? Anyone with a fix?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security Deluxe not installing on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2

I have the same model of iMac and a similar issue. Norton was running fine on Sierra. Then I upgraded and suddenly the extensions are blocked. Worse, when I unlock the Security Preferences, I don't get a dialogue to allow third-party developer extensions. It's just a gray box. I spent about a week on the phone with Apple support, and the best they could come up with was reinstalling Sierra, which won't work for me. It can't restore anything written by Time Machine in High Sierra. So, Apple is sending screenshots and file logs up the chain, and maybe engineers will have a solution. Meantime, there's always Malwarebytes. 

Kudos0

This is a bit odd symantec seems a bit selective.-

2012 Mac mini. Running high sierra 10.13.2 has the above issue when installing.  I.e. it won't install.

Macbook air, also running high sierra 10.13.2 seems to have allowed install and be running without issue.

may be machine specific.

Kudos0

Agree it's machine specific. I have a 2016 MacBook with no High Sierra issues. But my late 2015 iMac rejects all third party system extensions (including Wacom).

Kudos0

I could not install until I changed the permissions on the install app. Just ran “chmod -R 755” on the .app and it installed fine. Never a problem before 10.13.2. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.