• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Security Suite toolbar has disappeared from Firefox 15.0.1

I am having the same problem. I just d/l and installed NIS, including the numerous updates and reboots. My firefox addon console also shows that NIS is incompatible with FF15.0.1.

Please provide a patch to fix this for us Grandmother's that limp along when it comes to technology.

I'm looking forward to having it all up and running smoothly. thanks!

[edit:Clarified subject.]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security Suite toolbar has disappeared from Firefox 15.0.1

I am having the same problem. I just d/l and installed NIS, including the numerous updates and reboots. My firefox addon console also shows that NIS is incompatible with FF15.0.1.

Please provide a patch to fix this for us Grandmother's that limp along when it comes to technology.

I'm looking forward to having it all up and running smoothly. thanks!

[edit:Clarified subject.]

Kudos0

Hi beegolden,

Where did you download it from?  The Norton store, a reseller (such as Amazon), via your Norton Account?

Just to verify, did you run LiveUpdate (rebooting when required) until it responded "no updates found"? 

Have you atempted to Enable the firefox add-ons?

Please also have a peek at Support > About from the main page of NIS and tell us the version number, your operating system and SP # , and also if your had/have any other security programs installed prior to installing Norton, if they were removed and how they were removed (using Control Panel or Control Panel and product removal tool).

Please keep us posted.

Kudos0

Thanks for such a quick response! I downloaded through Comcast early this morning. During the install it prompted me to uninstall my Avast!. I clicked okay and the Norton install began removal of Avast!. There were a couple of prompts from Avast! to confirm the uninstall as well as their online survey pop-up. After the Norton install and Avast! uninstall, I did a hard reboot. Next I began the series of LiveUpdates and reboots until I did get the message that there were no more updates.

Yes, I have checked my FF addons

Norton Vulnerability Protection 11.1.1.5 -2 enabled

Toolbar 2012.5.5.11 is listed but it is automatically disabled by FF as it is incompatible.

Specs:

Norton Security Suite (Vendor Comcast) 6.3.0.14

XP SP3

I think I've answered all of your questions. Thanks again!

UPDATE - just thought that there might be some rogue left-over Avast! files messing things up. So will see if that's so and get rid of them.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi beegolden,

Please go to the folowing link and run the avast uninstall tool:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Your NVP version is correct and enabled, but your NTB version is behind the time.

I know this sounds crazy, but running  LiveUpdate it needs to specifically respond "No Updates found".  It will tell you that you are up to date - meaning that your are current as of the last LiveUpdate you ran.  LiveUpdates use a sequential update - so it may not find all updates when it searches - because a certaian prerequisite update has not been installed. Once you install the prerequisite, then it can find addtional updates.  Yes, it is confusing, but the bottom line remains "no updates found".

Please keep us posted.

Kudos0

Hi beegolden,

Was just about to suggest that you run the Avast Uninstall Utility to clear out any leftovers - the tool is over here:
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

When changing antivirus programs, always uninstall your current antivirus software by using the vendor's removal tool before installing the new antivirus program. never install a new antivirus program if it is from a different vendor or different product category right on top of your current program, as this usually results in flawed un/installations.

PS: Haha, looks like we were typing at the same time, yank ;-)

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Yaso_Kuuhl wrote:

PS: Haha, looks like we were typing at the same time, yank ;-)

Hi Yaso - great minds think alike - even from different corners of the world! 

Kudos0

thanks! Great minds do think alike :) I will be using the avast! uninstall right now and let you know the outcome.

Kudos0

done! there were some old files from when I had free Avast! and free AVG. Norton install however did a great job of removing my paid Avast! subscription files. All now removed. Plus ran Norton PC Tuneup and CCleaner to clear registry.

The toolbar is still disabled by Firefox. So what's next?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Kudos1 Stats

Hi beegolden,

First, open Firefox and check if the Norton add-ons are simply turned off and can be enabled. If they are still "crippled", then you will have to follow the instructions in yank's post over here (they solved my problem):

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Norton-won-t-update-the-Firefox-Toolbar/m-p/597746/highlight/true#M41827

Extra notes: before removing Firefox and Norton, please download the Firefox and Norton installer packages to your computer. You don't want to go on the internet and download the installers without antivirus software, so make sure you have everything you need to download from the internet saved to your computer before you remove your antivirus software.

You can get the latest version of Firefox over here:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#desktop

Important: you have to TOTALLY remove Firefox, including your Firefox profile folder. Click on the Windows "Start" button (the button with the Windows flag), and on the list, go to the control panel, then go to "Programs and Features" or "Programs or Software" (or whatever it's called in Vista or Windows 7 - my computer has the German language installed, so my translation may be a bit off ;-) ) and in the list of installed programs, choose to uninstall Firefox. It will ask you if you want to keep your profile folder, extensions etc. Choose NOT to do so. If you want to back up your Firefox bookmarks beforehand, please follow the instructions over here - you can restore to them to your newly installed Firefox afterwards:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them

To remove Norton: you should be able to do so without the removal tool (also via the control panel and list of programs). You will be asked if you want to save your Identity Safe data or not. When you install Norton, your data will be automatically restored and your product key picked up. Then run LiveUpdate, restart your computer if you are asked to, and just keep on running LiveUpdate until there are no more updates to be installed - just as yank said :-)

Finally: when I had reinstalled both Firefox and Norton, I was not at all pleased to open Firefox and still see the Norton add-ons missing. So I went to Firefox's the add-ons list and, to my enormous relief, discovered that the add-ons (which finally had the correct version numbers) were simply disabled. I enabled them, restarted Firefox, and the problem was solved.

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

danke schoen for your reply and the "Extra Notes" and "Important" paragraphs! sure seems to be a complicated process and one which will take some time. I may not be able to get it done in the next few days. I'll  be sure to keep the thread updated and hopefully with the word SUCCESS :)

as of right now - Norton Vulnerability Tool is listed and enabled in my add-ons. Toolbar is listed, but is still shaded and listed as incompatible.

have a great weekend!

Kudos0

Okay, we're keeping our fingers and toes crossed over here :-D

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Thanks! I've backuped my FF bookmarks, and downloaded both the FF and NIS to reinstall. Busy weekend as is today, but hope to report all is well by tomorrow.

Kudos0

Okay, please take your time, it's quite a weighty procedure :-) Good luck and looking forward to the report!

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Kudos0

oh well - followed the instructions step by step and still the Norton Toolbar is listed as not compatible with FF 15.0.1

sigh... any other ideas?

Kudos0

Hi beegolden,

Sorry to hear that :-/ When you reinstalled Firefox, did you launch it (before reinstalling Norton)? Because I made sure NOT to launch Firefox after reinstalling it (Firefox asks you if you want to launch Firefox after installation - I chose not to).Only after reinstalling Norton and running Liveupdate until there were no more updates did I launch Firefox for the first time.

Now, another thing I can think of is the release of Firefox 16, which is scheduled for today or tomorrow. A compatibility patch has already been issued for Norton, so run LiveUpdate to grab it:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Firefox-16-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/821582

Then, when Firefox is updated to version 16, the issue might be solved.

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Good morning! correct - I did not run FF before the reinstall and repeated Live Updates with Norton. I too read the FF16 patch and sure hope that this solves the problem.

Thanks so much for all of your support!

every good wish

Kudos0

beegolden wrote:

oh well - followed the instructions step by step and still the Norton Toolbar is listed as not compatible with FF 15.0.1

sigh... any other ideas?

Hi beegolden,

Sorry to hear about your situation still not changing - can you please verify the Norton Toolbar still shows version 2012.5.5.11.  I understand it states not compatable. 

Something for you to try:

In following location, there is an install.rdf file, Open this file in Notepad and check for Min version 13.0 and max version 15.*

If  max version is anything other than then 15*, change it to 15.* , save the notepad and check to see if you have an updated toolbar extention.

Location for install.rdf file C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\N360_6.x.x.x\coFFPlgn

The info below should be inthe lower part of the file:

<!-- Firefox -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <!-- firefox -->
        <em:minVersion>13.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>15.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

N360_6.x.x.x, x is the version number.

NOTE: In the cases I have worked with in the past the engine number may be the basic initial download of 6.0.0.145

Let us know how it goes?

Please remember this will change if the update for FF 16 compatabilty comes down to your system before you check this.  It will change from 13 to 14 and from 15* to 16*.  If the update for FF 16 fixes it, then you will not need to worry about this. 

Just one more thing a few folks have misunderstood in the past.  I tried to explain it before , but they say a picture is worth a thousand words - so just to make sure your have not quit running LiveUpdate too soon.  You are looking for the second screenshot.  You are not totally updated until such time as you see the second "no updates found" screenshot. You can run LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) until the "no updates found" appears at any time you desire -just to verify you are in fac totally up to date.

Kudos0

Thanks! I'll just wait for the Comcast version and FF updates and hope for the best. I used to feel comfortable finding and editing program files, but I'm afraid those days are over.

And, yes, I do run LiveUpdate until I get the Completed screen

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hi beegolden and Yaso_Kuuhl,

Norton Security Suite 6.4.0.9 upgdate has recently been released.  I haveit installed on my system as I type.  Here's whtneeds to be done.

Open NSS, run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to tell you that you need to Restart (you will be able to look in details and N 360 Resources listed and  marked as requireing a restart).  Restart the System and run LiveUpdate until it reposnds Restart required (details should show the Norton Toolbar Add-on for Firefox requires restart).  Restart and when NSS comes back up, run LiveUpdate as many times as reuired to respond "No Updates Found".

At this point in time, you should go to Firefox, open it and select Help from the Menu Bar, then Select About.  If it shows as 15.0.1 and Check for Updates,  then select Check for Updates.  It should go ahead and download FF 16 and install it.  Check for the NTB.  If you open Help and it is already on FF 16 then you must have the auto download turned on and it downloaded FF 16 automatically.  Let us know if this is the case and if the NTB works or not.  The add-ons should be NTB version 2012.5.7.2 and the NVP should be 11.1.1.5.2, and both Enablerd.

Please keep us posted.

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks so much! All updates installed and fully functional!

Fortunately when I reinstalled FF I chose the option to notify of updates and not auto update.

Kudos1 Stats

Splendid! I'm glad the updating procedure solved the Norton and Firefox compatibility issues! Thanks for posting back with the good news!

Good idea about disabling Firefox's auto-update feature - I prefer being notified of updates in general.

If you consider your question answered to your satisfaction, please mark this thread solved by clicking on the grey "Accept as Solution" button of the post which solved your issue, that way other viewers know that your question has been answered and can see the solution directly. Thanks :-)

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos1 Stats

Yes, splendid indeed! I just came back to this thread to mark is solved

thank you again for the hand-holding! (wish I knew how to insert your Hi-5 smiley)

Kudos0

Hehe, it was a pleasure :-))

How to insert the smiley? You can copy it to your hard drive, or right-click on it and choose "Copy Image Location". Then click on

the image icon (the tree icon next to the link icon) and if you have saved the image to your hard drive, choose to upload it from your computer, and if you want to insert the image via a link to/from another website, just paste the URL of the image location in the slot  of the "from another site" tab.

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi beegolden,

So glad you got it all sorted.  Yaso-Kuuhl as usual did an excellent job.                                 

Kudos0

Thanks Yank!

Kudos2 Stats

yank wrote:

Hi beegolden,

So glad you got it all sorted.  Yaso-Kuuhl as usual did an excellent job.                                 

Wouldn't have been able to do it without you and Thalir - the teamwork is great over here

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Yes, I so appreciate the team effort from the 3 of you! thanks again!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.