• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos4 Stats

Norton Security V 22.1.0.9

Hi, all. Anyone who's holding off installing NS or NSBU, I can say that provided your system is working properly and you have no other issues, that Norton Security works well.

Now that the shut down problem has been solved, there's no reason not to install if you've been holding off.

Disclaimer--- I am a user like you, and not a Norton staffer.  Your experience may be different.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security V 22.1.0.9

Thanks for the heads up F4E, the only thing I need to do is find a boxed version here in Cyprus but they don't seem to be available anywhere yet. Soon as I get my grubby mitts on one I shall install. Great to see this problem with the long shut down solved for you all.

Kudos0

Hi, brummie. Not sure if boxed versions will be available in your part of the world. The trend now, seems to be towards a licence key for a download. That way, you get the most up to date version.

Kudos0

My problem is getting an English version from the outset. A Symantec employee emailed me back in Sept. saying that boxed versions would be available after the middle of October out here but nothing has shown in my local store. The staff here seem to think the legacy products are the latest versions. In fact NIS is now sold out and it was one of their popular security software sellers.

I don't know if you know but if you try out a 'trial version' it is obviously an English version, if I then buy online, does the license key then change or does it stay the same? The reason I ask is because to buy on line I get redirected to the Symantec Turkish server and don't want to end up with a Turkish language version. It was always so easy to get hold of a boxed version and use the key from that.

Kudos0

Hello F4E,

Glad to hear that I am not alone in thinking so. I wrote a little everywhere as far as I'm experimenting to have with NS. For me it was a good choice to install it. Like you, I am an user like the others, nothing more.

Edit: brummie is already looking for it.

Sandro
Kudos0

Hi Sandro,

Getting hold of an English license key is always my main concern for the reasons I have mentioned earlier. I might be going over to the UK soon anyway so I could even get one from there. I'm not in any rush though.

Kudos0

brummie, I had written a few things for you in this regard.
I had not seen your second post, so I removed it. I'm sorry for you!

Sandro
Kudos0

No problem Sandro, I'll just have to wait a bit longer, my subs still have a long time to run as I renewed y NIS back in October. As soon as I find what I'm looking for I will upgrade straight away.

Have a good one. 

Kudos0

Getting hold of an English license key is always my main concern for the reasons I have mentioned earlier. I might be going over to the UK soon anyway so I could even get one from there. I'm not in any rush though.

But even if the license is not an English one, your local Norton Customer Support should be able to help you to have it installed in English...And they should also be able to add your current validity days to the new licence.

You could first check it by contacting them via Live Chat which is often the quickest way: www.norton.com/chat

Hope they can help you. Keep us posted

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Hi all,

According to the Announcement, NS and NSWB V.22.1 are now available for all languages via Live Update.

Cheers,

Sandro
Kudos0

Thanks F4E. I have only tried it on a Windows 8.1 system and I only had the "Graph" and "Fixit" problems. As those are fixed in this new release I will give a Trial version a run and see how it performs before upgrading from my NIS v21. I don't want to loose my NIS v21 License if I have to go back.

Jim

Kudos1 Stats

Okay, here are the download links for english:
NS :http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.1/NS/US/NS-ESDDef-22.1....
NSBU : http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.1/NSBU/US/NSBU-ESDDef-2...

But what about the offline scans?
I just upgraded to MBAM pre..
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Hi, CV. We are still waiting for an answer on offline protection.

I am always online whenever my computer is on, so it's not an issue for me.

Kudos0

Hi, Jim. I think you'll find that all things being equal,   that NS will work fine for you. I waited until the main issues were fixed, and then overinstalled my NIS program.

The overinstall worked flawlessly, and Chat Support added my existing NIS days to the NS subscription.

Kudos0

Hi F4A,

Did you over install from a straight download or did you use a 'trial' one? Curious that's all ;)

Kudos0

Hi,

Download links for localized versions where NS and NSWB are available so far

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.1/NS/IT/NS-ESDDef-22.1.0.9-IT.exe

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.1/NSBU/IT/NSBU-ESDDef-22.1.0.9-IT.exe

EG: for the French language, change IT with FR

Have fun!

Sandro
Kudos1 Stats

F4E good to hear it is working OK. I got a new SSD for Christmas and in Jan I plan to install it in my system. I will do a clean install of Windows 8.1 using UEFI and GPT as my current disk is setup for MBR and was updated from Windows 8. I will then install a Trial of NSwB, add my Local Vault (backdoor install) and when I am satisfied I will use my Free key and activate. Then update my two other systems to NSwB and then get my NIS days transferred.

I believe in doing things safely. I wear a Belt and Suspenders.

Merry Christmas to All.

Jim

Kudos0

I will then install a Trial of NSwB, add my Local Vault (backdoor install) and when I am satisfied I will use my Free key and activate.

Care to share what your "backdoor install" consists of?  I hope you are not talking about using NIS 2012 to regain Local Vault and then doing an over the top to NSBU.  I ask as NIS 2012 can not be installed on Win 8.1 to the best of my knowledge.

Kudos0

Hi, brummie. I over installed my NIS with NS using the key I had as Symantec has advised can be done, and after the install I went through the settings as some of them are different, and made a few adjustments.    As I mentioned, Chat Support added the existing days from my NIS install.

Otherwise the over install went flawlessly, and then all I did was Live Update until no more were found. That's it !

Kudos0

Thanks for that 'F4e',

Really glad it went well for you! Been doing a bit more looking around on the web as it's looking more likely I will be going to the UK early new year and while I'm there would be a good idea to see what's available now. What I do see is that only legacy Norton products are available at the big computer stores, (Pc World, Curry's , Dixons) so don't know what's going on there. This year after the launch of these new products, Symantec seems to be very slow in getting their goods out to the stores. Even a Symantec employee told me it would be available here in Cyprus in latter half of October but still nothing. Still, it's early days yet.

Enjoy the new product

Kudos1 Stats

Yank,

Here it is, researched and written by "elsewhere" and just posted.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Jim

Kudos0

F4E: regarding the "offline issue" ... does your ISP ever have an outage? And during that outage, do you use your computer? If so, then potentially you could run a program (previously downloaded) that installs malware.
Kudos0

PhoneMan:

Yank,

Here it is, researched and written by "elsewhere" and just posted.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Jim

Thanks Jim, duly noted, and additional reply (slightly different situation's solution) provided in elswhere's thread.

Kudos0

geek47:
F4E: regarding the "offline issue" ... does your ISP ever have an outage? And during that outage, do you use your computer? If so, then potentially you could run a program (previously downloaded) that installs malware.

I guess that is where as uses we need to make a decision to limit our use until we know it is safe. My main concern would be when the Norton servers are down and I still have internet and not knowing that Norton has a problem. If I know I don't have full protection I can adjust my activities accordingly. That is why I have multiple security programs running on my systems. I would think that I would have full protection from Norton 99% of the time and just have to adjust to the 1% that I may be at risk.

Jim

Kudos0

PhoneMan:
I would think that I would have full protection from Norton 99% of the time and just have to adjust to the 1% that I may be at risk.

I totally agree .... but ...

• A lot of bad stuff can happen during that that 1% of the time one does not have an active internet connection (or when Symantec servers are not accessible) ... and once infected with malware, it can take a lot of work to get rid of it (not something that inexperienced users can handle).
  • I presume that a user will know if their internet connection is down, but how does one know if/when the Symantec servers are not accessible (does NS pop-up a warning when this situation occurs)?
  • Since the "offline issue" is not a widely known (potential) exposure, then how do inexperienced users know that extra diligence is needed when their computer does not have an active internet connection (or Symantec's servers are not accessible)?
  • Most importantly ... what can/should Symantec do for their customers to help mitigate this potential exposure ....to date, I do not think Symantec has done much other than ignore the issue.
Kudos0

geek47:
I do not think Symantec has done much other than ignore the issue.

I would not call this an issue, as is Norton Security is designed to work.
You are only sowing panic through the forum on this subject that has never been proved.
It was enough for you to see a video on YouTube and some explanations often contradictory, to decree that NS is no longer protecting your computer when you are off-line?
I have serious doubts about your arguments, really.

FYI, Norton does still have a local virus definition database it will use.
So far, I am not seeing user who are running Norton Security to complain of having been infected by this.

Sandro
Kudos1 Stats

geek47. My ISP has never had an outage, as I am connected to a fibre to the house broadband connection.

If I were to go offline, then I would not execute any files. I think this subject has been done to death and as Sandro says, you still have on computer definitions, and a two way firewall. The potential to be infected, is too low for me to be concerned.

Kudos0

Nikhil_CV:
Okay, here are the download links for english:
NS :http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.1/NS/US/NS-ESDDef-22.1....
NSBU : http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.1/NSBU/US/NSBU-ESDDef-2...

Anyone have a link to download NS or NSBU 22.1.0.9 Trial version.

I tried these links and installed NSBU 22.1.0.9 on Windows 10 but I did not want to use my new key to activate as I am just testing for now.

Jim

Kudos0

Aren't they a trial?

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

I though so too but it said my trial had expired so not sure what is going on.

The Trail links from Norton web page gives the 22.0 version and has TW in the name.

Jim

Kudos0

Ah!  If that machine has had a previous trial you won't be able to have another trial, or else you could trial Norton and uninstall it every month, reinstall and never have to buy a license.  Did you previously trial NS or NSwB?  Maybe you could try the other?

Kudos0

All previous installs on Windows 10 have failed to install and this is the first version that let me install.

Jim

Kudos0

But have you had a trial on that machine with another Operating System before W10?

Kudos0

Yes I have but how is Norton reading my hardware for that information. I would think it would be in the registry and that has been wiped and W10 installed.

Jim

Kudos0

I believe it is linked to your motherboard ID or other hardware, but not the hard drive as you can change drives without loosing your license.

Kudos0

Maybe so. Oh well, I least I know it will install on Windows 10 so a little progress is made.

Just wish I could do more testing.

Jim

Kudos0

Sandro_cm:

You are only sowing panic through the forum on this subject that has never been proved.

Sandro,

Whether it is called an "issue" or something else ("a rose by any other name ..."), it still exists. Here is a excerpt from a Symantec Support web page that more-or-less proves the existence of this potential exposure:

Symantec recommends that your computer remains connected to Internet to get the real-time protection against threats and proactively detects unknown security risks on your computer.

But you are correct in saying that this is the way NS was designed to work ... full protection requires an active internet connection.

My concern is that this design could result in user's potentially getting malware if they run a program while offline. Extra diligence is required when offline, and many users are not aware of this.

If expressing this concern is sowing a panic on the forum, please accept my apology. I can stop mentioning my concern ... but that will not make the potential exposure go away.

Kudos2 Stats

geek47,

You're using NIS v21, right?

Funny that the KB article you linked above is for NAV, NIS and N360, so you should be just as concerned using your NIS shouldn't you?

FYI, here's the same KB for NS  -  https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-with-backup/22.1.0.9...

Kudos0

Krusty13:
so you should be just as concerned using your NIS shouldn't you?

FYI, here's the same KB for NS  -  https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-with-backup/22.1.0.9...

Thanks ...

Yes, I was aware of the same exposure in NIS ... actually, the video links provided by user "elsewhere" demonstrates this exposure in both NIS 2014 and NS 2015.

I am also just as concerned about this potential exposure in NIS, but it's not likely that Symantec will address the issue in their old products.

Kudos0

PhoneMan asked:
"Anyone have a link to download NS or NSBU 22.1.0.9 Trial version."

Checkout :
NS : buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.0/NS/US/NS-TW-22.0.0-EN-US.exe
NSBU : buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.0/NSBU/US/NSBU-TW-22.0.0-EN-US.exe
There you go... It seems you dont get 22.1 now.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Krusty13:

I believe it is linked to your motherboard ID or other hardware, but not the hard drive as you can change drives without loosing your license.

HI Dave, AFAIF, if you change the hard disk, Norton still recognize the computer as a new machine, then to have to reinstall the software you need to contact Symantec Support via Live chat.
Other users have solved this way. 

Sandro
Kudos0

Nikhil_CV:
Checkout :
NS : buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.0/NS/US/NS-TW-22.0.0-EN-US.exe
NSBU : buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2015/22.0/NSBU/US/NSBU-TW-22.0.0-EN-US.exe
There you go... It seems you dont get 22.1 now.

Right CV,

NS and NSWB TW are not yet available for any language.

NS is only available as a full installer as you linked here or here , by me.

Sandro
Kudos0

Sandro_cm:
Krusty13:

HI Dave, AFAIF, if you change the hard disk, Norton still recognize the computer as a new machine, then to have to reinstall the software you need to contact Symantec Support via Live chat.

Hi CV,

I've changed the hard drive on one machine and my license was not affected, no need for me to contact Support at all.

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

Sandro_cm:
geek47:
I do not think Symantec has done much other than ignore the issue.

It was enough for you to see a video on YouTube and some explanations often contradictory, to decree that NS is no longer protecting your computer when you are off-line?
I have serious doubts about your arguments, really.

FYI, Norton does still have a local virus definition database it will use.
So far, I am not seeing user who are running Norton Security to complain of having been infected by this.

geek47 is free to express his/her opinions and concerns. Norton Community Forum management have made their position on censorship perfectly clear:

Coleman Charter

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/symantec-norton-community-forums-guidelines-users-comments

If you have any concerns regarding the integrity of the testing that PRIOR and I have performed, then please raise them in the following thread where we will be happy to discuss your concerns further with you:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/sonar-and-cloud-scanning

Everyone: Please keep this thread on-topic.

Thanks

Kudos0

Krusty13:
Sandro_cm:
Krusty13:

Hi CVWhoops, I meant Sandro,

I've changed the hard drive on one machine and my license was not affected, no need for me to contact Support at all.

Thanks.

Sorry Sandro, I addressed my reply to CV but obviously it was you I should have addressed. 

Again, my apologies.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

Sorry Sandro, I addressed my reply to CV but obviously it was you I should have addressed. 

Again, my apologies.

No problem Dave, I had imagined that it was reported to me.
BTW, if you have done it, I believe you. I said what I had read in some old posts, suggestions were probably wrong.

Sandro
Kudos1 Stats

elsewhere:

geek47 is free to express his/her opinions and concerns. Norton Community Forum management have made their position on censorship perfectly clear:

Coleman Charter

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/symantec-norton-community-forums-guidelines-users-comments

If you have any concerns regarding the integrity of the testing that PRIOR and I have performed, then please raise them in the following thread where we will be happy to discuss your concerns further with you:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/sonar-and-cloud-scanning

You, geek47 and the other, you can post here, there is a long discussion on this subject.
I do not think it is necessary for you to bring the same topic for your concerns when you are not online in other threads.

About the concerns, I'm not worried at all, and I do not intend to get involved by your assumptions.
Other users will be able to assess what they have to aim for.

Case closed for me, or, even better, there is no case!

Best wishes!

Sandro
Kudos0

Sandro_cm:

You [elsewhere], geek47 and the other, you can post here, there is a long discussion on this subject.
I do not think it is necessary for you to bring the same topic for your concerns when you are not online in other threads.

The reason I posted in this thread, is that the first post that started this thread said this (underlining is mine):

Anyone who's holding off installing NS or NSBU, I can say that provided your system is working properly and you have no other issues, that Norton Security works well.

Now that the shut down problem has been solved, there's no reason not to install if you've been holding off.

I thought the readers of this thread might want to be aware of a potential exposure in NS when the user's computer is offline. Whether we call it a concern or an issue, it does exist, and some users might feel it is reason enough to hold off on installing NS until Symantec provides feedback on possible mitigation.

Kudos0

geek47, you yourself have been advised and accepted that the problem of offline exposure exists/existed in NIS also, and for all I know other anti virus solutions as well.

This point has been made many times, and it's up to users to make their own determinations as to whether the risk is real enough to warrant concern. Personally, I don't think so, and this is the last comment I will make on this for me, non issue.

Kudos0

F4E:
it's up to users to make their own determinations as to whether the risk is real enough to warrant concern.

I totally agree ... each user needs to understand the facts/risks, and then make their own determination as to how important this potential exposure is to their computer's security.

Kudos0

In fact, users are smart enough to figure out for themselves what they have to focus and decide to have. It is not necessary that they have to follow your suggestions and concerns.
I agree with F4E, even for me this is not an issue and I don't intend to post more on this.

Sandro

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.