• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Toolbar 2015.0.0.76 crashes on close of Chrome.

I am posting this in Norton Security as this seems to be a Norton Security issue as I cannot find any mention of this toolbar in the Norton toolbar area.

When I upgraded over N360 to NSBU it removed the old Norton Toolbar and the first thing that I had to do when it started up was to install the toolbar again.  This seemed to work but then I noticed that it seems less reliable than it had been since the latest update on N360.  Then I noticed that every time I shut down I appeared to be getting a warning from Chrome, but did not have time to read it before the close down...  Today however being ready for it I did manage to quickly read it and it said that Norton Toolbar had crashed.

I can but assume that this is what it was trying to tell me on the other occasions.

You might think it irrelevant if it crashes on shut down but it seems to imply that it is not properly integrated into Chrome and I am also getting issues that I was having with the older toolbar with N360 and links on these forums sometimes going to the wrong location.

So is this a known problems?  Any suggestions as to a fix?  Any chance of Norton updating the plugin?

Mike

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar 2015.0.0.76 crashes on close of Chrome.

Kudos0

Hello Andmike,

Please go to Norton Toolbar threads and seek for one of my topics called Norton Toolbar 2015.0.0.76

I was reporting problems since day 1, but nobody seemed to care.

Same with FF 32 on XP and IE 8 (both have different issues with NTB).

For the moment, the only workaround is to disable NTB & Identity Protection and continue..only drawbacks:  NO safe web icons and NO Vault).:-(

However your browser(s), are IPS protected because NS injects IPS defs directly to the browser, so no need to have NTB enabled.

Hope a fix will arrive soon...

Cheers,

Kudos0

Sorry I missed your thread Apostolos it had slipped further down the lists than I had looked.  

For others it is here.

I am not having sufficient problems with the toolbar to want to disable it at the moment, but hope Norton will fix it soon, like yourself.

Mike
Kudos0

Andmike,

Keep in mind that the issue you are having is NTB related, just do a simple test for a minute, disable NTB, restart Chrome and observe, it should work ok.

Once NTB enabled again, the issue should come back.

Also, one question, what happens if you hover the mouse cursor over the safe web icons and then close Chrome?? Does it crash??

With FF and XP as soon as I'm doing this, when FF closes it throws a crash message related to NTB.

Post back...

Cheers,

Kudos0

Hi Apostolos.

The issue I am having with links going to the wrong place is cured by unplugging the toolbar, that I how I was sure it was the toolbar causing it.

If I hover over the toolbar icon and then close Chrome.... it closes and I get no reported crash.

Mike
Kudos0

Andmike,

I was talking about hovering the cursor over the safe web icons, Norton Secured, Ok Green icon etc, in Google Search results.

Try also with FF if installed.

Also what OS??

Cheers,

Kudos0

Apostolos

Hovering over the green icons on the Google search page gives me a pop-up Secured, Safe etc..  and if I then close Chrome it appears to close without any problems.

I do not have Firefox installed.  What after all the problems between Norton and it... 

Device: Acer Aspire 5740 Laptop
Operating System: Windows 7, 64 bit, Home Premium, Service Pack 1
Browser: Chrome Version 37.0.2062.124 m (or as auto updated)

Mike
Kudos1 Stats

Andmike wrote:  I do not have Firefox installed.  What after all the problems between Norton and it... 

The problems between Norton and Firefox were just nasty rumors started by google 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.