• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Toolbar 2015.5.4.11 not staying enabled

I have found that when I enable Norton Toolbar 2015.5.4.11 that it will not stay enabled.

Everytime I open the browser I have to go into extensions and enable it. I have to do this every time I close and then open the browser.

Also the Web Safe Icons have disappeared.

Can anyone please help?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar 2015.5.4.11 not staying enabled

I guess you are talking about Chrome, right?

Do you have a Norton security / anti-virus program installed or are you using the stand-alone ID Safe?

Thanks.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

I just started having the same issue. I have NAV and Identity Safe. The toolbar comes up but the vault button is missing and it doesn't function even though I am logged into the ID vault

Kudos0

Hello rmoriarty

I would suggest that you try the Norton remove and reinstall Tool. Please back up your ID Safe in dat and csv formats. Also please read the warning paragraph.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

www.norton.com/nrnr

Please come back and let us know how you made out.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

rmoriarty:

I just started having the same issue. I have NAV and Identity Safe. The toolbar comes up but the vault button is missing and it doesn't function even though I am logged into the ID vault

Do you also have Chrome?

Is it Norton Antivirus or NIS / NS?  Norton Antivirus (NAV) does not have the toolbar included like NIS but does install the stand-alone ID Safe.

Which other extensions do you have enabled?

Any other security programs?

Kudos0

No offense intended but removing and reinstalling all the Norton stuff is becoming a full-time job around here. I spent all day yesterday doing that to fix ID safe on a different system. And as a bonus, it removed my Norton Ghost as well. I just happened to have the install disk handy otherwise I would have been out of luck.

Your stuff was always very reliable and I've always used it and recommended it to others but in the past 6 months, I'm not so sure...

How about just publishing stuff that works? Between these constant issues and Microsoft's garbage operating systems, a Mac is looming in my future

Kudos0

You do know that we are not Symantec employees, just volunteers trying help where we can?

Kudos0

I have NAV with ID safe. I am not using NIS. Is that tool going to work for me?

Kudos0

Sorry about the incorrect assumption. I'm just getting frustrated because every few days something different goes wrong. I apologize if I insulted you.

Kudos0

Thanks for confirming you have NAV.

The NRnR tool will only reinstall NAV, but as mentioned, the toolbar is not included with NAV, rather it is a separate program.

Please let us know what other extensions you have and any other security programs.

PS: You did not offend me, I just hoped you realised that Flo and I are only Norton users like yourself.

Cheers,
Dave

Kudos0

Well, its official. Whatever they did is affecting all of my workstations today in exactly the same way. :-(

I guess we just have to wait for a fix

Kudos0

You haven't answered my questions yet.

Which other extensions do you have enabled?

Any other security programs?

Kudos0

Hello rmoriarty

You do realize that Toolbar version is only for Chrome? I don't use Chrome, but I thought those extensions are already enabled? Have you tried another browser and see if the same thing happens?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

A have the same problem in Chrome.  If I enable the extension (same version as the original poster) it will stay enabled until I close the browser once I close the browser and reopen it the extension becomes disabled.  This only happened after the last Chrome update.  (Norton Security Suite) Chrome 64 bit and Windows 10. I tried disabling all the other extensions in Chrome but that did not help.

Kudos0

Hello PaulGo

How about trying a fresh install of your Chrome so you don't lose your bookmarks and a clean install of NSS  You can get the clean install from www.norton.com/latestnss  Try one at a time and see if that helps.

Thanks.

Kudos0

No change after the reinstall.  One thing I should mention is this is the same on two computers - my desktop and my laptop.

Kudos0

Hello

So everything does work ok once you enable the Norton extensions and plugins and stays ok until you close the browser. I don't use Chrome, so I am trying to help.

Since you are on the forever changing Win 10, we don't really know if it might be a change to Win 10 that might be causing the problem. Have there been any changes lately that might cause this issue in Win 10?

Thanks.

Kudos0

I also got a "security" update to Windows 10 at the same time as the Chrome update after which the problem with Norton toolbar.   I uninstalled the Windows security update but it did not change the problem with the Toolbar.  I have to assume it was the update to Chrome that caused the problem.

Kudos0

I just found a temporary solution to the Norton Toolbar problem!  All I did was disconnect from my Google account.  I did not delete any setting or extensions.  It appears that the act of connecting to the Google account disables the Norton Toolbar.  Anyway it works and I will leave it like this until Symantec comes up with a fix. 

Kudos0

It is only affecting Chrome not IE

I am not using any other security system

Only other extensions enabled are Identity Safe and Safe Search.

If I click on the enable button in Extensions it works until I close the browser and when I open the browser again it has disabled automatically.

Also the Web Safe Icons are not appearing on Google Searches

Why do these things always happen in Chrome and why can't they make sure changes will work.

Closing my Google Account doesn't rectify it for me. It's still the same.

Kudos0

Oops. I missed that question.

I only have NAV antivirus installed.

Extensions:
Bookmark Checker
Google Docs
Google Docs Offline
Google Sheets
Norton Identity Safe (disabled now)
Norton Safe Search as default for Chrome (disabled by choice)
Norton Security Toolbar 2015.5.4.11
Norton Security Toolbar 2014.7.12.30 (both of these are enabled and I have not found a combination where either can be disabled)
RegExp Tester 0.1.2
Scientific Calculator 1.0.6

I have not made any explicit changes to the extensions for months. Both toolbar buttons have been showing up for a couple of months. On this workstation, I have tried disabling one or the other but then nothing works. On my other systems with the same setup, they have adopted this behavior on their own.

Kudos0

You may have found the problem/symptom. When I looked at my sync settings, it was set to "sync everything" which I had definitely not done. I never sync everything across systems. I turned off most of hte sync settings (including extensions) and its working again. I'll have to see if it keeps working.

Kudos0

I signed back in but I turned off sync extensions (leaving everything else synced)  and the Toolbar stays working.

Kudos0

PaulGo, thanks for identifying the real problem. It seems that the sync is always shutting it off. I've never seen the value in syncing extensions across different systems. Some of the systems I use Chrome on don't have Norton at all so I imagine that's the root of the problem

Kudos0

I agree with moriarty and PaulGo.  In Chrome Settings, look under "Sign in" at the top and click the "Advanced sync settings..." box.  Change the drop-down from "sync everything" to "choose what to sync."  Then uncheck "Extensions" and click "OK."  

I tried this awhile back and it worked.  Recently, we had a hard drive crash and I had to look it up again, but this works. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.