• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Toolbar 2015.5.6.76 White Line/Load

I just got the new NTB for Firefox. Two things I noticed right away. First there is a white line between the NTB and Bookmarks Toolbar. It doesn't matter if I remove the Bookmarks Toolbar or add the Menu bar that line remains. Second the toolbar can be seen loading unlike the previous NTB for Firefox 40 and older.

Screenshot of #1;

It's now just like the Internet Explorer version except IE's loads better.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.15.x

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar 2015.5.6.76 White Line/Load

This newest release NTB extension for FF also adversely impacts webpage rendering performance and causes stutter during vertical scrolling of many websites having active display frames - i.e.: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/tom-selleck-talks-jesse-stones-return-luke-173242268.html

This performance impact issue goes away when this newest NTB FF extension is disabled:

This performance impact occurs regardless of how FF's (v42.0) Hardware Acceleration option is set (either to on or to off).

Thus-far I've confirmed this to be an issue on systems using Intel (HD4000 series) and Nvidia Geforce (GTX series) GPUs.

This adverse impact occurs with or without Adobe FP 19.0.0226 (NPAPI) being installed.

This newest NTB is the only FF extension presently installed on the systems I've tested (for the NTB's adverse performance impact).

For now I've disabled this newest version FF NTB on all of my systems ...

Kudos0

For me it's just ugly looking and slow when I open Firefox for the first time. If that white line was gone there'd only be one problem for me. Which is a line separator overlapping Safe Share in IE.

I reported a couple of issues here;

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/ie10-ie11-ntb-issues

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-separator-issue-ie-and-firefox

None of those have been addressed. The only reason one isn't present is because Safe Share is missing presently. But hey some people don't mind how the toolbar looks.

Kudos1 Stats

Thank you all for sharing feedback on this release.

@SGFC: can you please clarify what you mean by "seen loading" and that IE "loads better"?

@avjohnnie: FWIW, that Yahoo page shows some signs of dynamic performance to me - it loads fairly slowly on FF with our extension disabled and I noted on Chrome it attempts to load a much larger "lower content grid" than on FF, perhaps indicating Yahoo is sensitive to some kind of FF display performance in general of that much inline animated content.

EDIT: avjohnnie, I see the effect now on smooth-scrolling impact - I wasn't seeing it originally because when you disable our extension, FF needs to be restarted for it to really disable/unload (despite FF UI saying it is disabled).  We are looking into that for future improvments, thanks!

Regards,

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

Kudos0

I'm sorry, but what is a white line amongst friends - if it works - what does it matter if it's ugly?  Of course it would still be a problem for you - but others may not care!

I even have the NTB working completely (even ID Safe) on the same line as the Menu Bar in IE11, but that is an entirely different story!

EDIT - Sorry Matt for jumping in - I was responding to SGFC

Kudos0

EDIT: avjohnnie, I see the effect now on smooth-scrolling impact - I wasn't seeing it originally because when you disable our extension, FF needs to be restarted for it to really disable/unload (despite FF UI saying it is disabled).  We are looking into that for future improvments, thanks!

Regards,

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

Thanks Matt -

I fully understand that this is a "work in progress", but it does help to know that you're able to confirm the performance impact there (at base of operations,) as well... 

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

SGFC:

For me it's just ugly looking and slow when I open Firefox for the first time. If that white line was gone there'd only be one problem for me. Which is a line separator overlapping Safe Share in IE.

FWIW...

I've found that if I use the "Default" FF "Appearance Theme" then I also get the white line showing (above the new NTB):

But if a select a different theme (in this case "LiteFox") then I don't get the white line (but I also suspect that YMMV):

Kudos0

win7,64bit,ns22.5,sandboxie5.0.6,firefox40.0.3   after getting idsafe patch yesterday idsafe is now gone from toolbar so I updated firefox to ff42 hoping to bring back idsafe to toolbar. no go. now I try to open firefox in sandboxie and I get sbie error 2335   initialization failed for process conat hst.exe(33/0). I disabled idsafe in firefox extensions and firefox opens and works as should in sandboxie. I have 2 other machines-both winxp with ns22.5 and avast free 2015 with ff42 and sandboxie 4.20.  on the ns machine sandboxie errors with idsafe disabled.  avast machine with ff42 and sandboxie  no problems works great.  I bought my win7 machine in jan 2015 and since may with Norton 22.5 upgrade, Microsoft trying to push win10 on our machines(I've check every ms update and untick the ones for win10 plus installed gwx control panel) and firefox upgrading every 6 weeks and all software companies trying to brcome compatiable with win10.it's just becoming a pain in the butt. I love Norton and the idsafe, but if its not going to be compatible with sandboxie????   I'm going to set  this win7 machine up todual boot to Linux mint and just use windows on occasion. thanks for your help.

Kudos0

@MJP - when I first open Firefox 42.0 the NTB isn't actually there. But seconds later it'll appear. It slowly draws after the window opens. With IE and the old NTB for Firefox this never happened.

@yank - somehow that's the response I'd expect from you.

@avjohnnie - yeah if you choose a white or lighter color theme the line seems to fade/blend. -----

The point is NTB never had these issues before. Before February of this year. There were no line separators or little white lines. Slow performance when drawing the bar. I've seen other developers let things slide and the result is never good.

Kudos0

SGFC:

@avjohnnie - yeah if you choose a white or lighter color theme the line seems to fade/blend. -----

The point is NTB never had these issues before. Before February of this year. There were no line separators or little white lines. Slow performance when drawing the bar. I've seen other developers let things slide and the result is never good.

Agreed SGFC - There's plenty of weirdness going on...

FWIW: Since my previous  post I've tried several other Appearance Themes from the Mozilla Add-ons website -- some light, others dark...

And so far the only one I've come across that has the "white line" issue is the default FF gray theme (which I suppose somehow just figures) ...

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

Topopurim47: win7,64bit,ns22.5,sandboxie5.0.6,firefox40.0.3   after getting idsafe patch yesterday idsafe is now gone from toolbar so I updated firefox to ff42 hoping to bring back idsafe to toolbar. no go. now I try to open firefox in sandboxie and I get sbie error 2335   initialization failed for process conat hst.exe(33/0).

Quick question:  did you add coNatHst to Start/Run Access...? 

Kudos0

@avjohnnie - that black layout in your picture shows one of the extra vertical line separators next to the three dots for settings.

I was going to try different themes too. But now I don't have to. If Symantec could figure out how to match the color to a theme better. IE has the same problem. But I'm not sure it can even handle themes. I'm sure there's some coding trick that could match the color to the current theme or default interface color.

Another thing I notice is that the NTB adds a line below the bar itself to every page;

without the toolbar;

Kudos0

Here's another problem. If you go to a YouTube video watch page you get an "X" on the right side of the toolbar. If you click that "X" it closes the toolbar. But it only appears on YouTube video watch pages so far.

Screenshots;

Kudos0

bjm     no i did not. i'm using the free version of sandboxie so i'm not sure i can do that, plus not sure how to do that.  right now sandboxie and ff42 are working great with the toolbar disabled so i'll wait and see when the idsafe is ready. i don't have much faith that idsafe will ever work like it did much less be compatiable with sandboxie. i'm trying keepass on one machine and i'm using firefox built in password mgr w/master for a few passwords on this machine(win7). on my xp machine with ns22.5, i disabled idsafe/toolbar but sandboxie will not work(nothing happens). i uninstalled/reinstalled still doesn"t workNothing happens). all i can do is uninstall norton and install avast.  my other xp machine has avast, sandboxie and ff42 installed and working great. thank you for your help and suggesting disabling idsafe/toolbar on my win7 machine. hopefully norton can get all this fixed .

Kudos0

Topopurim47: bjm     no i did not. i'm using the free version of sandboxie so i'm not sure i can do that....

In the error message box that opens when Sanboxie throws an error.  Carefully read the text.  You can copy to clipboard the contents for reference.  You should see a link to click to resolve this coNatHst error. 
In this case after the Toolbar/Identity Safe patch installed and I enabled Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76. 
Sandboxie threw me an info error dialog that I'm familiar with from Chrome that also has coNatHst.
I clicked the indicated line that adds coNatHst to Start/Run Access. 

Some Sandboxie info messages are interactive to help you. 
Some are info for you to copy to clipboard and post to Sandboxie Forum for Help.

I don't run Toolbar/Identity Safe in Firefox (my preferred) because Sandboxie breaks Toolbar.
Sandboxie broke Toolbar with old extension.   No reason to check new extension until Toolbar/Identity Safe is finalized.
YMMV

Kudos0

Another problem with the new NTB?? https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6750571#comment-6750571

Why would it delay showing the pagebadredirect.html when visiting a malicious site? Is it something to do with this;

Firefox; resource://c1a2a613-35f1-4fcf-b27f-2840527b6556/data/html/pagebadredirect.html

versus

IE: symres:C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\MUI\22.5.4.24\09\01\coUICtlr.loc/PAGEBADREDIRECT.HTML

Kudos0

Yet another issue with NTB. If I open Firefox the first window appears normally with exception to that "X" mentioned above. But when I open a new window with one already opened. On the new window it does not show the search box even though the settings indicate it is on and it is on in the first window.

Screenshot;

Yeah it's working great lol.

Kudos0

Hi SGFC - 

I tried some tests like what you described but cannot see it with different modes of Youtube playing.  

Do you have any other extensions active?

Can you describe how you get to a Youtube site showing this problem - you simply go to youtube.com and click on any video, start watching it and that X appears?

Thanks,

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

Kudos0

MJP:

Hi SGFC - 

I tried some tests like what you described but cannot see it with different modes of Youtube playing.  

Do you have any other extensions active?

Can you describe how you get to a Youtube site showing this problem - you simply go to youtube.com and click on any video, start watching it and that X appears?

Thanks,

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

I have other extensions but this didn't start happening until this new Norton Toolbar was added. When I click that "X" it closes the toolbar which is similar to the Internet Explorer version of the toolbar.

I log into YouTube, I click on subscriptions, I right click the video title and click "open in new window" and either the first window or the new (second) window will show an "X" on the right hand side of the toolbar. If I click that "X" it'll close the toolbar. Which is why I think it's similar to how the Internet Explorer version of the toolbar is. The "X" appearing is random and unpredictable. But I've now seen this "X" while viewing other pages not just YouTube.

If I'm on YouTube and I right click a video title and click "open in a new window" I can see the first window showing an "X" and then the second (new window) opens up. But when I go back and look at the first window the "X" isn't there. That I can reproduce very easily.

There are other problems (above) I've had since this NTB installed. 1) the missing search box 2) the delay in showing the pagebadredirect when visiting a malicious site. With IE the pagebadredirect responds so fast you can't even see the page.

--------------------------------------------------------

I just disabled all add-ons (extensions) except for Norton Toolbar. I recorded my screen and I've attached a video showing what I'm seeing. I slowed the video down so it could be seen better.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

@MJP

I just did a clean install of Firefox 42.0 English US with Norton Toolbar as the only extension. I left all Firefox settings default. The problem in the video attachment above still exists.

By "clean install" I mean I uninstalled Mozilla Firefox via the control panel, programs and features. Then I restarted, deleted every single folder named "Mozilla", deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins, restarted my computer and installed Firefox 42.0

Kudos0

Another appearance of the "X" this was after using restore down on the window without the "X".

Screenshot;

I'm not sure if it's related to the Norton Toolbar or not. But if I right click near the address bar and uncheck menu bar or bookmarks toolbar sometimes it'll only change in one window and sometimes it doesn't work at all. The most recent time this happened the "X" was showing on the far right side of the toolbar. Seems like maybe that "X" was preventing me from unchecking the menu bar and bookmarks toolbar.

Kudos0

Hello SGFC

I wonder if your issue has anything to do with Windows 10? I don't use FF at all. I think I read some place that the different languages are handled by Firefox, so the language of the toolbar will be in the language of Firefox  if I understand it correctly. I know you are in  Canada and I assume you are in the English speaking part of Canada. I am wondering if the problem of not being able to reproduce the issue is because I doubt that they can use the Canadian version of the browser when they are not in the location of the language of the. Toolbar. Like your version of Google address has CA and the end of it even though it is still in English. I don't think I am explaining this correctly.. I think that is one of the changes that Mozilla made now. I wonder if this will happen in all locations except in the USA.  I haven't Googled this  yet, but in what country is Mozilla located ?

Thanks.                                                                 

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.15.1.8 Core Firmware 267 I E 11
Kudos0

I download Firefox from here https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/ and I choose English (US) and most of the time I choose English US with all software. Even Windows 10 is set to English US.

You can choose which ever language you like from the link above and Firefox should display it's text in that language. By "text" I mean words like menu, tools, help and so on. The webpage of course would be in whatever language it was written.

There is no English (CA) or (Canada) for Firefox and I don't think there are many differences between U.S. and Canadian English except for spelling of words like Color (US) and Colour (Canada) as an example. Which is why there is no English (CA) for Firefox I'm guessing.

I use https://www.google.ca by choice because it usually gives me more relevant results than if I used .com

Kudos0

Here is the latest problem.

Screenshot;

(I greyed out the bookmarks toolbar for privacy)

But as you can see the NTB is half hidden behind the bookmarks toolbar. I tried restoring down and up to fix it and that didn't work. I had to close Firefox and start again.

Kudos0

Hi SGFC,

continuing with your past thought:

@yank - somehow that's the response I'd expect from you.

Please do not take this the wrong way - but are you absolutely sure there is not something on your system causing all your various display problems?  I only ask as it seems like your display problems have continued and are varied for a long time, and seems to occur after you reinstall FF, remove items from the Registry or make other adjustments to extensions etc.

Kudos0

I've been doing the same thing for years. I've been running NIS since at least 2008 possibly longer. Now I'm using NS since it was introduced. I've never had this many issues with NTB until they "redesigned" it. I certainly don't plan on reinstalling Windows to see if the problem goes away. Like I said in a previous post https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6753281#comment-6753281 even with all settings default and no add-ons NTB still had the loading/"X" issue. The white lines that's just sloppy programming they should be able to blend in or match the color of the browser window. Deleting the registry entries I do wouldn't harm anything they point to nothing that isn't rewritten upon re-installation.

Out of curiosity is this the right location for Firefox's NTB C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NS_22.5.4.24\coFFAddon\ If not maybe that's the problem.

Unfortunately I don't have another computer with Norton on it. So I could say it's this computer or not.

Kudos0

Mine is located as follows in NSBU version 22.5.5.15 on Win 7

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NSBU_22.0.0.110\coFFAddon and is dated as created Nov 18 2015.

Kudos0

Maybe it's worth removing Norton Security via control panel and NRT. I've also been having the issue where Norton loads with a red X in the system tray. Which never happened before. I was told to change the boot time to aggressive. But I've always used normal.

Kudos0

Fixed - Seventeen months later on Firefox.

Internet Explorer still has the color matching/line issue.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.